Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up there ar 24r stations ,most of the towns are 20 to 40 miles apart

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    There is only 230 miles of the trip I am unsure about since most of it is interstate. Looks like I will be taking US-60 From Sikeston, Mo to Springfield MO. Does anyone know if there are fuel stop along that stretch that has fuel 24hrs a day? Here is a list of towns that I will be passing.

Sikeston, MO yes 24 hrs stop
    Dexter, MO yes
    Popular Bluff, MO yes
    Van Buren, MO yes
    Birch Tree, MO
    Mountain View, MO yes
    Willow Springs, MO yes
    Cabool, Mo
    Mountain Grove, MO
    Norwood, MO
    Mansfield, MO
    Seymour, MO yes
    Fordland, MO
    Roversville, MO
    Springfield, MO
    Have a safe ride, Im headed out the 23rd

Spyder Garage

I figure if I leave here at 6am I should be in about midnight or 1AM.
    If you are able to, I would suggest shifting your departure time by as much as 6 hours and leave at midnight or early AM. That way, you'll get most of the driving in darkness over with first, while you are fresh, and then you can finish during the daylight when you may be tired.
    As others said, keep all the appropriate records, including the signatures you need at the starting and ending place.
    That's important. Scope that out first if you can. You don't want to be spending a whole bunch of time hunting down a signature because the teenage kid behind the desk at the WaWa where you buy gas is unwilling to sign your papers.
    Bring some water and granola bars with you.
    Light snacks and water or powerade at each stop. Avoid big meals.
    Also, I like those 5 hour energy drinks. No sugar, they give you a boost of energy without making you "wired". Break the seal (but don't open) one or two of them and leave them your glove compartment in case you want one while you are riding.
    Try to time it so you get a 10 minute stop every couple of hours.
    Keep things that you may need during the trip easily accessible in the trunk. This would be water, snacks, rain gear, butt paste, backup maps, flashlight, or anything else you may need to use on the trip.

Above all, remember, this is a bucket list thing. If you are successful, you will achieve.......bragging rights. Not fortune or fame.
    It's not worth doing anything stupid for. If you find you are tired, pull over and stop. It's way OK to take a nap on a picnic table or under a tree.

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

When you pass through Poplar Bluff if your not careful you will end up in Arkansas. You have to exit US60 to stay on US60, you go north on US67 about 5 miles then exit US67 to US60 again. The signs are clear just pay attention to them.

I assume you will fill up in Poplar Bluff, if you take the 3rd exit on your right (US67N US60W) there is a 24hr self serve (no attendant credit cards only) right past the exit or take the 4th exit you come to which is business 67 south and the gas stations are on your left.

The first exit goes to Bullwinkle's if your thirsty the second exit goes to the east side of Poplar Bluff so don't take that one...

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    You have to exit US60 to stay on US60,
    The first exit goes to Bullwinkle's if your thirsty the second exit goes to the east side of Poplar Bluff so don't take that one...
    It sounds like a lot of fun; kind of like a scavenger hunt at a seven year-old's birthday party!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My question is: Where can you get a list of all nite gas stations - or is a truck stop the way to go? By the way, good luck on your trip!!!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you take Aleve take two prior to the ride and do not take any more within the ride, it really does not do any good for you. The post dose will keep inflammation down but once you start it will have little effect. Keep you fluids (water up) and do not load up on caffeine as it will dehydrate you. Watch you sugar intake as you will get a sugar high followed by a crash (sugar) later on. Better to mix carbs with protein like crackers and cheese or lunch meat.
    Good luck! Have fun! And be Safe!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default leaving from Saint-Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Hi there Spyderlovers ;-)

going to Spyderfest ..... leaving on April 21 and stopping in London, Ontario at a friend an sleaping over..... after that all the way to my hotel at Super 8 in Springfield, MO

it will be my first time traveling this far.....

hopefully it will go ok

Normand Filiatrault

Spyder Garage

on my ironbutt, I started at 5pm and arrived at my hotel at about 3pm the following day. it gave me all day to make sure I was rested up, had the house clean and had everything I needed. it also allowed me to ryde through southeast CA, AZ, and NM at night and in the morning. mine took me from San Diego, CA, to Amarillo, TX. my tip, is take a folder with you and stick all your paperwork in there, ensuring that you get receipts from every fuel stop (rule #1). also, have a few bottles of water and vitamin water with you in the Frunk (air will keep it surprisingly cool).good luck.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    Can't imagine doing this, especially us older folks. The important thing is be safe, don't push beyond your limits of alertness and responsiveness!
    if you take a look at those who have completed the Saddlesore (ironbutt.com), you'll see several riders in the 70-90 age range.

Spyder Garage

This is all good advice. Thank you for your input. As of right now I am still working out the time that I am going to be leaving. Might be around midnight or so.

Spyder Garage

This is all good advice. Thank you for your input. As of right now I am still working out the time that I am going to be leaving. Might be around midnight or so.
    another note on fluid intakes. I didn't drink any soda/coffee during my trip. the only thing I used to help me out (even though I don't really notice a boost) is a 5 hour energy. just as a preemptive move to keep the drowsiness away.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for all of the information. I am planning this out as well as I can. Times of course will be flexible.

I plan on taking off around midnight now. I am planning out my fuel stops about every 100 miles just to be safe plus a few just extras.

Warsaw, NC (46 Miles) 1:00 AM
    Benson, NC (46 Miles) 2:00 AM
    McLeansville, NC (92 Miles) 3:30 AM
    Hickory, NC (103 Miles) 5:15 AM
    Ashville, NC (79 Miles) 6:45 AM
    Dandridge, TN (81 Miles) 8:30 AM
    Crossville, TN (96 Miles) 10:00 AM
    Lebanon, TN (83 Miles) 11:30 AM
    Cadiz, KY (107 Miles) 1:30 PM
    Cairo, IL (99 Miles) 3:40 PM
    Poplar Bluff, MO (89 Miles) 5:15 PM
    Mountain View, MO (69 Miles) 6:30 PM
    Springfield, MO (98 Miles) 8:30 PM

The first couple of stops are just to make sure that I am ready for the long haul. All in all about 13 stops along the way and plenty of time to use the restroom and get some food and water. Total miles (according to Garmin) is 1087 and total moving time is going to be 17h 44m.

If any one wants to meet up with me in the towns listed above let me know.
    Last edited by Wiredux; 03-29-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Start Earlier

I figure if I leave here at 6am I should be in about midnight or 1AM.

When I started a trip from Mass.To Bike Week in Daytona we'd leave around 0300. Get several hours in with little traffic and then stop for breakfast around 0700 or 0800. By the time dinner comes around you are toast and ready for bed. We also only ate two meals while on the road, a late and hearty bfast and an early dinner. Rest of the stops were just pit stops for fuel and to pee. Hopes this helps
    Doc

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer

So after all of my planning the wife has put a stop to me doing this on this trip. She made me promise that I would make a stop like I originally was going to. So it looks like I will be stopping in Eastern TN on the way to Spyderfest. I will still be arriving on Sunday like I have planned now. I just have an over night in Eastern TN.
    Last edited by Wiredux; 04-15-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default It is good to know

So after all of my planning the wife has put a stop to me doing this on this trip. She made me promise that I would make a stop like I originally was going to. So it looks like I will be stopping in Easter TN on the way to Spyderfest. I will still be arriving on Sunday like I have planned now. I just have an over night in Eastern TN.

I am not the only one in such a boat.
    Maybe someday.

Spyder Garage

I do have to say it was a good exercise to plan it all out though. I think next time I just wont tell her what I am doing. She did mention about riding to Trinity Tx when she gets her Spyder. On that front I am just waiting for her to pull the trigger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Take it one fuel stop at a time, that's what I do.
    And Lamont should know, that's the way I do it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 1100 miles

I did 1010 in 14 hours 55 min on my Harley years ago.

Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. One fuel stop at a time. Have some protein. Rest when and if you have to and be careful..Your butt will be dragging towards the end. Lots to drink.
    Last edited by BuddaBelly; 04-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Youngsters are so interesting they can turn the most boring tasks into a challenge. Just remember guys, we want you back un scratched and in sale able, useable condition.

Ryde Safe and don't do anything stupid leave that up to us old guys. If you got to do something stupid tell'm the other Bob made you to do it!
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 04-15-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

So after all of my planning the wife has put a stop to me doing this on this trip. She made me promise that I would make a stop like I originally was going to. So it looks like I will be stopping in Eastern TN on the way to Spyderfest. I will still be arriving on Sunday like I have planned now. I just have an over night in Eastern TN.
    Just leave the house at that time, but wait where she won't see you and head out then. Haha

Spyder Garage

My plans changed again too so either way it looks like we won't be hooking up. See you there Bro

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Be safe...in what ever you choose!