Spyder Garage

Default Low fuel indicator info..

While over on the BRP SpyderRyder site I was reading some of the comments and remarks. I found this answer from the Spyder team to someone question. I found it very interesting:

In regards to your fuel gauge, it is programmed to indicate a low fuel level when there are 1.05 gallons (4 liters) of fuel remaining (determined when the Spyder is on level ground). If your gauge seems to be malfunctioning, we recommend taking your Spyder to your local dealer for testing and gauge calibration.

-Spyder Team"

So If I know I am getting 30 mpg right now, when my low fuel light comes on, I can plan on only going another 30 miles before I am out. This is good info to have.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Low fuel indicator info..

My low fuel light came on this weekend. I put 5 gallons of fuel in it to fill it all the way. So, it does seem like they have a bit of a safety net built in.
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    My low fuel light came on this weekend. I put 5 gallons of fuel in it to fill it all the way. So, it does seem like they have a bit of a safety net built in.
    Don't count on much. The capacity is far less than the 7.1 gallons originally specified, and the actual capacity is less than the 6.6 gallons they now say in the manual, since you can't fill it all the way. I can't even get 30 mpg, so if I put 5.8 into the tank, as I did twice, I only had less than 15 miles left...on level ground. Bottom line, when the light comes on, find a gas station!
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy
    Don't count on much. The capacity is far less than the 7.1 gallons originally specified, and the actual capacity is less than the 6.6 gallons they now say in the manual, since you can't fill it all the way. I can't even get 30 mpg, so if I put 5.8 into the tank, as I did twice, I only had less than 15 miles left...on level ground. Bottom line, when the light comes on, find a gas station!
    -Scotty
    Scotty, I do find a station when the light comes on. Only once did it actually go to no bars and I got nervous. At that point I put 5.5 gal in, the most yet. I am getting 30.4 mpg and I think even better on this current tank. I don't worry about how big the tank is, that doesn't matter to me, but the knowledge that basically I only have one gallon of fuel to spend when my light comes on is important info. As long as I have a station within 20 miles when that light comes on, I should be good and have a very minor cushion of comfort.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang
    Scotty, I do find a station when the light comes on. Only once did it actually go to no bars and I got nervous. At that point I put 5.5 gal in, the most yet. I am getting 30.4 mpg and I think even better on this current tank. I don't worry about how big the tank is, that doesn't matter to me, but the knowledge that basically I only have one gallon of fuel to spend when my light comes on is important info. As long as I have a station within 20 miles when that light comes on, I should be good and have a very minor cushion of comfort.
    I do the same, but don't always notice the light right away. It is not overwhelming. Our light comes on just as the second bars disappears. Twice it happened just past an exit. By the next exit the bars were gone, and I was nervous, too. Took 5.5-5.8 gallons, so there was a bit of a buffer, but not much. Sure wouldn't have made the following exit at an average of 28 mpg. I am used to more range. The BMW RT gets 200-250 miles per tank, and even my BMW R75 toaster gets at least 150 on its measly four gallons, without hitting reserve. I would really worry if I rode the Spyder out West, where exits can be far apart, and stations far from the exit. I'd probaby start carrying a gas can if I traveled out there.
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!