Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kenda Kanine K20 availability

Just discovered that I damaged one of my front tires on my 2019 RTL while on a road trip. Hit a large rock with the outside of my left front tire. I stopped and didn't see any damage so proceeded on and rode another 500 +/- miles on to home. Parked and then noticed that I had a visible bubble on the outside of the tire. With that bubble, I don't feel safe continuing on that tire. Not fond of prospect of having it go out on the road and needed to find a tire then. They are relatively new K20's and good for another 15000 miles give or take. Does anyone know if there are any K20's available anywhere. I won't ride on mismatched tires so if the tire can't be replaced in kind, I will need to replace with a car tire, probably a Vredestein Quatrac so I will replace both front's. Last I knew there were no K20's available anywhere.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry out of stock, post link before looking
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 07-17-2022 at 04:25 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Out of Stock

...So Sorry but they are not available.
    Covid-19 issue I guess. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

FAILED Kanine tire ...... and folks here still ask " what's so bad about Kenda tires " ...... this is an example of WHY they are. ..... the Vredestein will make you very happy - good choice ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good reason to put car tires on your Spyder!
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    FAILED Kanine tire ...... and folks here still ask " what's so bad about Kenda tires " ...... this is an example of WHY they are. ..... the Vredestein will make you very happy - good choice ...... Mike
    I’ve known car tires to fail as well, so just because one tire supposedly fails it means they’re all bad? Don’t think so.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 07-17-2022 at 09:55 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I’ve known car tires to fail as well, so just because one tire supposedly fails it means they’re Ll bad? Don’t think so.
    I agree, Any tire can fail even the car versions. I have had several car tires fail if they are caused by pot holes or side impacts.

If you can't find a K20 you may have to go to a car tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I’ve known car tires to fail as well, so just because one tire supposedly fails it means they’re all bad? Don’t think so.
    Flame - you've been here almost as long as I have, and have probably read ( like me ) the 100's of Tire failure threads and posts ..... what do you think the failure rate is between Kenda's and Car tires .... I suspect about 500 to 1, at least on this forum. PS I realize that Cars use only Car tires, but Spyders use both types ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Flame - you've been here almost as long as I have, and have probably read ( like me ) the 100's of Tire failure threads and posts ..... what do you think the failure rate is between Kenda's and Car tires .... I suspect about 500 to 1, at least on this forum. PS I realize that Cars use only Car tires, but Spyders use both types ..... JMHO .... Mike
    That's Not really correct Mike - I know it's only semantics & the way you've worded it, but the bolded & bold+underlined bit in your post quoted above should read - PS I realize that Cars use only Car tires, and so do Spyders!

As you well know, it's just that somewhere along the line BRP either sought out or came across a car tire manufacturer who was prepared to provide BRP with a lightweight car tire that will only suit vehicles that weigh about the same weight as a Spyder, and BRP has tried ever since to force every Spyder/Ryker owner to use ONLY that lightweight car tire by all sorts of means, including putting that dodgy cover their arse 'special motorcycle use only' label/warning on the sidewall to try and make sure they don't get sued if anyone uses them for a heavier car..... Oh, and also as a label to try & con the gullible out there into believing that these tires they are getting at a premium price from Can Am dealers & only those dealers are something 'special' when they aren't really at all!

And sadly, the tire manufacturing company making these car tires didn't put too much effort into making sure that they produced a 'good' product all the time, so especially in the early years, the car tires that BRP tried to foist off on us for our Spyders proved to be not only lightweight & less capable than just about any other car tire on the market, but also subject to very poor quality control so there was an alarmingly large number of issues with them! . But I will admit that in recent years they have slowly started to close the gap between their product and the standards achieved by almost all other car tire manufacturers, altho I believe they've still got a fair way to go yet!! Even the latest of Spyder/Ryker models still hit the streets with these same OE tires, a noticeable number of which can't be balanced due to poor quality control during their manufacture, or that have inherent vibrations, tracking issues, &/or other defects in their manufacture that would see any other tire manufacturer refusing to release them to retail sale & instead tossing them in the re-cycle bin due to the potential problems they might cause for a purchaser....

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have come to the realization that it is highly unlikely I can find a K20 tire to replace the damaged one and will have to out of necessity go to a car tire, which frankly, I intended to do when these tires were done so no big deal, just earlier than I expected to have to deal with replacement.
    I have a firm understanding that in Verdestein I will need either 175/55R/15 or 165/60/15 and for the rear I will need 205/65/15. I will probably go with the 165/60/15 for the front just to avoid any risk of the 175 tire rubbing the fender mounts and needing to modify the mounts. BUT, I also noticed that some have indicated that the Michelin Cross Climate is a good and perhaps preferred tire over the Verdestein but no indication what sizes are available for the Michelin or which of the two models of the Michelin are being used. I'm going to order tires tomorrow, so just curious about choices on that tire. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Last edited by Bartender; 07-17-2022 at 04:34 PM.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can use federals which is the same size as the Kanines. I am running another tire that is the same size right now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I have come to the realization that it is highly unlikely I can find a K20 tire to replace the damaged one and will have to out of necessity go to a car tire, which frankly, I intended to do when these tires were done so no big deal, just earlier than I expected to have to deal with replacement.
    I have a firm understanding that in Verdestein I will need either 175/55R/15 or 165/60/15 and for the rear I will need 205/65/15. I will probably go with the 165/60/15 for the front just to avoid any risk of the 175 tire rubbing the fender mounts and needing to modify the mounts. BUT, I also noticed that some have indicated that the Michelin Cross Climate is a good and perhaps preferred tire over the Verdestein but no indication what sizes are available for the Michelin or which of the two models of the Michelin are being used. I'm going to order tires tomorrow, so just curious about choices on that tire. Inquiring minds want to know.
    The Michelien only has sizes to fit the rear ..... look at Tire Rack and see what's available ..... Be advised they are more expensive ( by a lot ) than the Quatrac or even less for the Altimax .... All three have very similar ratings ie. good to excellent .... Right now I'm about to mount a RIKEN that is actually closer to the Michelien than the other two ...... it is less expensive than any of the othert three ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Directing my comments/question to Blue Knight and Peter Awen who seem to be the most knowledgeable and informed on the car tire sizing issue, I am inclined to go to Vredestein Quatrac 165/60/R15 for the front and Vredestein Quatrac 205/65R-15 for the rear. I also note that in an earlier note a suggested size for the rear was 225/50R/15. Do any of you have a suggestion for the rear or a preference for size? I'd probably prefer to use the 175/55R-15 Vredestein Quatrac for the front but don't see a major advantage to possibly have to deal with the issue of the larger size putting wiring at risk since I have limited time available to deal with such issues. I see that Blue Knight says he's going to mount a Riken and I applaud his willingness to explore the options but am inclined to remain in the tried and true Vredestein Quatrac. Any words of advice and in particular comments about sizing?
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Bartender, not Peter or Mike but I do run the Vredestein's. 175/55R-15's on the front and the 205/65R-15 on the back. No clearance problems and the speedometer is now accurate. Great in all extreme weather conditions, and I've tried them all. Smooth ride and plenty of traction. I will admit I am lazy on the air pressure, I use a octopus hooked to all tires and go with 18 PSI.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I would like to know which michelin cross climate tires you are using.they make a couple different tires called cross climate and what size you are using and waiting to see what you think of. Riken I will need rear tie soon. Thanks

Spyder Garage

The Michelien CrossClimate2 doesn't come in 15 inch size !!!! .../. CrossClimate+ does ..... tire rack only Stocks the 195/65-15 and will easily fit the Spyder, however getting as close to a 215/60-15 would be ideal .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Directing my comments/question to Blue Knight and Peter Awen who seem to be the most knowledgeable and informed on the car tire sizing issue, I am inclined to go to Vredestein Quatrac 165/60/R15 for the front and Vredestein Quatrac 205/65R-15 for the rear. I also note that in an earlier note a suggested size for the rear was 225/50R/15. Do any of you have a suggestion for the rear or a preference for size? I'd probably prefer to use the 175/55R-15 Vredestein Quatrac for the front but don't see a major advantage to possibly have to deal with the issue of the larger size putting wiring at risk since I have limited time available to deal with such issues. I see that Blue Knight says he's going to mount a Riken and I applaud his willingness to explore the options but am inclined to remain in the tried and true Vredestein Quatrac. Any words of advice and in particular comments about sizing?
    I bought the Riken Raptor HR in 215/60-15 it was under $100 delivered free ..... The test ratings show as an excellent choice ... the CrossClimate was $154 ..... it's you money, you get to pick..... PS in the past 10 years here I haven't recommended a BAD tire yet. .... PPS you could also go with the Michelien Defender T&H however it's also $154 each ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 02:52 AM. Reason: couls - could ;-)

Spyder Garage

Blue Knight. No one would question that you and Peter are the experts when it comes to tires for the Spyder, but I would prefer to stay with the Verdestein so I have the same brand on all corners. Picking nits perhaps but just my preference. With that in mind it appears my choices for the Quatrac are either 205/60/15 or 205/65/15. With that limiting factor which would be your choice? Thanks for your help.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Blue Knight. No one would question that you and Peter are the experts when it comes to tires for the Spyder, but I would prefer to stay with the Verdestein so I have the same brand on all corners. Picking nits perhaps but just my preference. With that in mind it appears my choices for the Quatrac are either 205/60/15 or 205/65/15. With that limiting factor which would be your choice? Thanks for your help.
    " No one would question " .... I get questioned ALL the time about my "expertise " sic ../... The " " 65 " aspect ratio will give a higher Top end - but the difference from the " 60 " won't even be measurable IMHO ..... either one will make you happy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R6QT&tab=Sizes
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R5QT&tab=Sizes

QUATRAC'S in size 205/65R15 looks like are in short supply till 11/25/22, Go with the 205/60R15 size on the back

DO NOT LIST WHAT VEHICLE THEY ARE GOING ON!

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 07-18-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R6QT&tab=Sizes

QUATRAC'S in size 205/65R15 looks like are in short supply till 11/25/22, Go with the 205/60R15 size on the back

DO NOT LIST WHAT VEHICLE THEY ARE GOING ON!

T.P.
    Mike's absolutely spot on in his post above!! It often makes me wonder why I did all that study & then worked on & off for years in the industry before trying to help & share what I learnt .... but then, the criticism from those who might have no real idea but still like to pick anyway . is generally outweighed by the appreciation from those we DO help!

Back to the real topic here.... there's certainly not much in it, but if you wanted a 205/65R15 and they aren't available, maybe you should consider a 215/60R15 in the same brand/tread tire . It's more likely to match/get close to the size you're after, while trying a 205/60 instead of a 205/65 will most likely mean you end up with a marginally smaller rolling diameter, maybe even by as much as 10 mm or thereabouts - possibly not easily noticed, except maybe by your speedo/trip meter?!

But by going UP 10mm in width (205mm wide up to 215 mm wide) and DOWN 1 step in profile (65 % of 205 mm sidewall height down to 60% of 215 mm sidewall height) it'll mean you are likely to loose less rolling diameter - and when the only reason the 205/65R15 helps your speedo get a little more accurate is that it'll increase the rolling diameter over the stock tire only you find you can't get that size, then that little bit of difference made by going up in width but down in profile might just be the bit that counts....

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 09:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Riken Raptor HR purchase, replacing Kenda Kanines

I bought the Riken Raptor HR in 215/60-15 it was under $100 delivered free ..... The test ratings show as an excellent choice ... the CrossClimate was $154 ..... it's you money, you get to pick..... PS in the past 10 years here I haven't recommended a BAD tire yet. .... PPS you could also go with the Michelien Defender T&H however it's also $154 each ..... Mike
    Just placed my order for the above tire. Vredestein Quatrac weren't available until November and I will wear out my Kanine rear tire before then. So far I have 14869 on the Kenda Kanines and the tread is at the wear bar. Figure I might get another 1-2K out of them. I was hoping for more on the Kanines but cela vie. Now onto the Riken Raptor HR's. Paid under the 100, but MA had to get there share so 106 total. Got the following for making the purchase.

Tire rack road coverage.JPG

Happy motoring

Willie aka Bill and a bunch of other names
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Just placed my order for the above tire. Vredestein Quatrac weren't available until November and I will wear out my Kanine rear tire before then. So far I have 14869 on the Kenda Kanines and the tread is at the wear bar. Figure I might get another 1-2K out of them. I was hoping for more on the Kanines but cela vie. Now onto the Riken Raptor HR's. Paid under the 100, but MA had to get there share so 106 total. Got the following for making the purchase.

Tire rack road coverage.JPG

Happy motoring

Willie aka Bill and a bunch of other names
    I seriously doubt they will honor a Warranty claim for any tire used on a veh. it's NOT supposed to go on ..... and the ONLY catastrophic tire failures I have heard about on this Forum were all KENDA's ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I seriously doubt they will honor a Warranty claim for any tire used on a veh. it's NOT supposed to go on ..... and the ONLY catastrophic tire failures I have heard about on this Forum were all KENDA's ....... Mike

the ONLY catastrophic tire failures I have heard about on this Forum were all KENDA's Good thing the Riken has arrived
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

I suppolse that Kendas being fitted to all new Spyders and then mostly replaced with Kendas when needed by most ryders would been taken out of your calculations?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 07:26 PM. Reason: our - out ;-)
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium