Spyder Garage

Default Need to know Jacking points using a floor jack?

Threads on lifting your spyder seem to always discuss using motorcycle/atv lifts. I need to lift the front end with an old fashion floor jack to get wheels off of floor for working with a arm. Is there a jacking point on the front of my 2015 ST(s) that I can use?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fuelie60 View Post
    Threads on lifting your spyder seem to always discuss using motorcycle/atv lifts. I need to lift the front end with an old fashion floor jack to get wheels off of floor for working with a arm. Is there a jacking point on the front of my 2015 ST(s) that I can use?
    I'll assume that your Floor jack will slide under the front .... if not put the front tires on 1 1/2 pieces of wood ..... Then put the arm under the center of the Spyder and make sure it's positioned Directly under the MAIN frame it runs from front to rear ( until it gets to the rear swing arm ) ..... Raising the front needs a bit more care, it will be balanced, but before you work on anything put JACK stands ( or similar ) under the front suspension arms. What you want to do to to the Spyder will determine how high it needs to be ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Great Question, fuelie60!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'll assume that your Floor jack will slide under the front .... if not put the front tires on 1 1/2 pieces of wood ..... Then put the arm under the center of the Spyder and make sure it's positioned Directly under the MAIN frame it runs from front to rear ( until it gets to the rear swing arm ) ..... Raising the front needs a bit more care, it will be balanced, but before you work on anything put JACK stands ( or similar ) under the front suspension arms. What you want to do to to the Spyder will determine how high it needs to be ..... good luck .... Mike

I, too, have always wondered about using my low boy hydraulic jack to raise the entire front, without damage. PERFECT! Thanks, Mike!

Rick

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

thanks Mike. I only need to relieve pressure on lower shock bolts so that I can reverse them and install Lamonster tow hooks.

Spyder Garage

thanks Mike. I only need to relieve pressure on lower shock bolts so that I can reverse them and install Lamonster tow hooks.
    OK , if you REMOVE that bolt .... the shock can't provide support on that side .... the Spyder might TIP OVER .... the spyder doesn't balance well from just the rear wheel. Use TIE straps to on the ends of the handlebars, to prevent tipping over....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I did not understand your last message.....what do I attach to the handlebar ends?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Block Up

...Be Safe when you raise your Spyder. Depending on what you need to do, be sure to use jackstands.

Not sure what you are talking about.
    I just raise one wheel at a time.
    Using a low floor jack.
    Sometimes a service manual is a good starting point.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You only need to raise one wheel at a time about 1/4 inch off the floor to change the bottom shock bolt. It WILL NOT TIP- OVER! .........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Be careful if using a floor jack under the front center of the spyder. I had mine quite high trying to get jack stands under the a-arms when the jack started to squirt out from under the spyder! Apparently the rubber pad on my jack could not prevent the weight of the machine from pushing the jack out. I agree with others above, jack one side at a time only high enough to get the weight off the wheel.

Spyder Garage

I did not understand your last message.....what do I attach to the handlebar ends?
    a " tie wrap " ..... I should have said a a " rachet strap " ...... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Jack Up Your Spyder

Just Jack up one wheel at a time.
    Make sure that your Jack will handle the Spyder.

A one ton Jack is going to lift it up. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I slide my floor jack in from the side. If I'm lifting the front then I will place it at the front of the center frame and lift from there, I do the opposite if I'm lifting the rear. I never lift the entire bike at one time.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I slide my floor jack in from the side. If I'm lifting the front then I will place it at the front of the center frame and lift from there, I do the opposite if I'm lifting the rear. I never lift the entire bike at one time.
    Just out of interest, K80, do you find when you jack up the front (using either a centre post lift or a floor jack with rails, that the RT tends to be very precarious? I.e. it leans to one side and could tip? I always use jack stands as well, but I am wary of lifting the RT too high when lifting the jack stands to the next hole. Is it just me ?
    I realise this has been touched on above, but I was interested in your experience with a ‘20+ RT, as I never had it with the F3-L.
    Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 03-25-2022 at 03:42 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My husband passed this past February, so I am on my own as far as working on my F3-T. I read the posts, but I am a little confused. I want to check the drive belt for possible damage. The city laid down tar gravel and I couldn't get around it. I drove real slow, but it was fresh and rocks were flying every where. I just want to raise the rear a bit to be able to spin the rear tire. I have a floor jack, I just am still not sure about placement. Or would it be better if I just put the CanAm in neutral and roll it a bit at a time? I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong spot. Thank you for any advice.
    Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Just had this done by "Spyderpops" at the 3 Wheel Rally. What a great idea. Made hooking up the ratchets much easier. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    My husband passed this past February, so I am on my own as far as working on my F3-T. I read the posts, but I am a little confused. I want to check the drive belt for possible damage. The city laid down tar gravel and I couldn't get around it. I drove real slow, but it was fresh and rocks were flying every where. I just want to raise the rear a bit to be able to spin the rear tire. I have a floor jack, I just am still not sure about placement. Or would it be better if I just put the CanAm in neutral and roll it a bit at a time? I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong spot. Thank you for any advice.
    Lori
    I slid the jack so it lifted on the rearmost end of the box section. I also chocked both front wheels prior to lifting.

pulley 12240.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    Lori
    By the look of your picture if the driveway is flat just rolling it with the brake off may be the easiest way for you to look at the belt instead of jacking the rear.
    End of the center ''frame'' by the rear tire would be the point to jack the rear tire up.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium