Wijllie

Default Mounting pics of lugage rack / backrest

Complete install pics: http://www.spyderweb.be/reportages/r...ek_spyder.html
    Regards, Pierre

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Mounting pics of lugage rack / backrest

That's great. Thanks :bigthumbsup:

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    That's great. Thanks :bigthumbsup:
    NP
    Is that a pic of your Spydie with trailer? Looks awesome... :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWeb
    NP
    Is that a pic of your Spydie with trailer? Looks awesome... :bigthumbsup:
    Yes it is. A very nice combo if I do say so myself. ;D

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    Yes it is. A very nice combo if I do say so myself. ;D
    It is !!
    No problems with the tires of the trailer? Very small? A good mountain bike hase those ;D

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWeb

Complete install pics: http://www.spyderweb.be/reportages/r...ek_spyder.html
    Regards, Pierre
    You either have the nicest garage or you park her in your bedroom

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by smokster
    You either have the nicest garage or you park her in your bedroom
    LOL ;D
    I like things clean and since I trew out the car to let sleep the Spyder there I
    even bought a few thinks to make it even nicer. I keep a small space to place a bed
    if my wife trows me out of the bedroom

Spyder Garage

These are great pics, but will somebody please translate the Dutch.... Because there are alot of thing-a-me-bobs that are shown in the pictures that I need to know why they are being touched or adjusted...

A second question (related to windshelds...) while we are on the subject of accessories..... Is it legal to paint the windshield? I think that if you do mount a GPS that this would be a great solution not to mention it really sets off the design "WOW" factor of the Spyder. What I want to see next is someone paint the Marcel Windshield just about half-way up in the same shape as the original windshield.... That might be really sporty and then practical as well.....

I'm waiting for an SE5 and love reading about everyone's modifications, and the list of stuff that I'm going to "trick out" my Spyder with keeps growing....
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captainryder
    These are great pics, but will somebody please translate the Dutch.... Because there are alot of thing-a-me-bobs that are shown in the pictures that I need to know why they are being touched or adjusted...
    Google Translate will do it for you. Just enter the URL for a whole Web page, or copy and paste what you want translated.

A second question (related to windshelds...) while we are on the subject of accessories..... Is it legal to paint the windshield? I think that if you do mount a GPS that this would be a great solution not to mention it really sets off the design "WOW" factor of the Spyder. What I want to see next is someone paint the Marcel Windshield just about half-way up in the same shape as the original windshield.... That might be really sporty and then practical as well.....
    Like the idea of half painting the large windshields. That could make them more attractive. A paper cutout would tell the tale, without damaging the windshield.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Wijllie

I'm waiting for an SE5 and love reading about everyone's modifications, and the list of stuff that I'm going to "trick out" my Spyder with keeps growing....
    Like Nancystoy said; there are several free online translators, I would love to have my site in Dutch, French, English and German but it's a site made for the Belgian (Dutch) public. Since there are translators they do the job for me
    But most pics are clear and much better then the black-white install instructions, so if you mount the rack read the instruction manual in English and look at my pics

2 hints: the cabel has to go to 2 holes which are just not wide enough, you have to push the cable real hard to get trough but it works. Second watch out when you mount the cable on the aluminium; you can't put the cable in the ditch like the manual sais but try to keep it as straight as possible at the end when fastening the aluminium to the frame.
    Otherwise the cable will be in way if you mount the top of the rack. The rest of the install is easy, just a lot of work to strip the Spyder.

Over here it is allowed to paint the shield because it is not in line of sight, you look over it so it doesn't matter.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone letting me know about translators... I'm getting web savy more and more everyday. Who says at 60 you can't learn new tricks !

The pictures are really great, and your website has alot of how-to-do stuff that is very detailed.

Marcel and the new Evolution II windshield is very promising, and as soon as I get the SE5 I will try the idea of paper cut out to visualize the half-painted windshield idea. (Unless someone else wants to go buy a piece of black poster board and take a picture for the rest of us now ????)
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Somebody painted a whole windshield on this forum or on canamtalk. Search, it wasn't that long ago. It actually looks pretty cool in silver.

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_Spyder
    Somebody painted a whole windshield on this forum or on canamtalk. Search, it wasn't that long ago. It actually looks pretty cool in silver.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/inde...sg6580#msg6580

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just took a nice 60 mile ride (getting waves from H-D's, cr's and a Mustang!) to the dealer and picked up my riser block and rear sport rack. He did give a decent discount on both.

Your photos are m u c h better than the black and white instructions given by BRP...

Thanks alot, Spyderweb--I have a busy Saturday Morning ahead of me! :bigthumbsup:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Of course, SpyderWeb has much better pics than I (camera phone--sorry!) but I am pleased with how the installation came out AND I want to thank him again for the photo essay of the install procedure.

(Using Google translate was interesting tho'. I hesitated a bit when the Dutch directions got translated into English as things like "For the men bovenstuk elongation of the assembled cable into the holder hooks" and "Under the saddle the cable through the opening stabbing." )

(That's $37 worth of unleaded in those red cans!)

(Future home of a backrest...)

(A changed profile.)

--------
    I will say that SpyderWeb's photos AND directions in Dutch were better than BRP's photos and directions in English.

Minor complaints:
    I think the jist of the Dutch was that the holes in the frame through which the cable must be fed have little tolerance. All the nuts and washers need to come of and fiddled with to coax the cable through.

1 extra bolt (it's the same long bolt as for the seat rear hinge--don't know why that was in the parts bag), 2 extra nuts (different sizes, fit nothing), 2 missing bolts and 2 missing nuts, 1 missing clip for the black plastic fender to attach.

The warning label states not to sit on the rack, and that the capacity is 15 lbs (6.8 kg) "evenly distributed" which seems like a low estimate to me, considering all the hardware used to mount it to the frame, but hey...

I forgot--I'll have to take a close up pic of the cutesy little compartment in the rack: it's more than just big enough for my wallet and keys! I do like the release mechanism which becomes hidden under the seat. The hatch has a safety on it, like a car hood, so if you drive off without it latched, it shouldn't go anywhere. When latching the compartment, it makes that nice "snick" sound that the seat does when it's locked in place; nice and tight. There are two places to adjust the release mechanism if need be, however.

Overall, I give the following assessment:

>fit and finish: +++
    >instructions -
    (Maybe the French version is clearer?)
    >usefulness (without a backrest) +
    >price (you know )

BTW, my dealer in western MA says backrests will be here in a week, Hindles the week after...

Spyder Garage

Looks good. So do your highway pegs and spider web cover. I don't think I've seen you pictures of them before.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler
    "Under the saddle the cable through the opening stabbing."
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler
    Minor complaints:
    I think the jist of the Dutch was that the holes in the frame through which the cable must be fed have little tolerance. All the nuts and washers need to come of and fiddled with to coax the cable through.
    Yep, I wrote in Dutch the holes are to small but you don't have to take of the washers or nuts, just firmly press them trough the hole while turning the cable a bit, it worked for me.

Glad my install pics were helpfull for you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wijllie
    LOL

Yep, I wrote in Dutch the holes are to small but you don't have to take of the washers or nuts, just firmly press them trough the hole while turning the cable a bit, it worked for me.

Glad my install pics were helpfull for you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Will be attempting this in the AM before work thanks for the heads up and pics :bigthumbsup:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did the install yesterday - really can be done in about 2 hours. Not very complicated - will agree the directions from CanAm are a bit vague, but if you are intuitive - you can get it done.

I did find that one bolt they sent did not work, but no worries as I got one that did.

I think fit and trim overall is very good and the backrest is very comfortable. I like the overall look without the backrest.

I was surprised when I went to pick up the parts for the silver and yellow we have that the backrest/luggage rack was only offered in silver. I only took one for the silver - can't see how a silver unit would look good on a yellow Spyder. Wasn't a yellow one being made?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTim
    I was surprised when I went to pick up the parts for the silver and yellow we have that the backrest/luggage rack was only offered in silver. I only took one for the silver - can't see how a silver unit would look good on a yellow Spyder. Wasn't a yellow one being made?
    I think they have announced them, but there are no parts numbers as yet. Typical cart-ahead-of-the-horse BRP. Besides, it was a long enough wait for the silver. ;D
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Here is my installation of the rack and backrest.... numerous things to watch out for... was a bit of a pain!

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/ind...ndpost&p=49256

I would post it all out here... but I don't have anyplace to host the images.... it's just easier to upload them directly to the site you are posting on.