Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Silver color-matched 2012 RT trailer...question about how to sell it

So I've decided that I was hasty in buying the color-matched trailer when I bought my silver 2012 RT. There's so much storage on the machine itself that the trailer has been sitting in my garage, Spyder-trailer cover on it, with the tires sitting on cardboard to keep them from being aged by the cement, and I've had a heater on in the garage all winter and I'm getting no use out of it.

I pulled it about 90 miles when I received it from the dealer before I put it away in my garage waiting for the touring season to begin. Trailer includes the tongue stand that folds out of the way while towing but folds down to hold the tongue off the ground when parked.

Of course, the trailer hitch assembly will go with it. There's a wiring harness as well but that will have to remain with the motorcycle to avoid leaving the hole for the pop-out in the left saddlebag.

I'd intended to work out a deal with my local dealer where he'd advertise and sell the rig and I'd pay him twice what he'd normally make on the sale of a trailer but then I wondered if there wouldn't be enough of a demand for it that it'd be smarter to sell it on my own, requiring that the buyer arrange for an pay for shipping, etc. That would involve working with and trying to satisfy people nationwide while handing it off to the dealer means that he'd have to handle all that.

I'd like to get the trailer out of my garage to make space for other things but, if I can sell it myself, that would probably make more sense. I need the space right away for another toy <grin>.

Still, having the dealer sell it takes it off of my hands completely right away (if he'll even do it) and he does the negotiating, etc. The lazy side of me (which is more like 90% instead of just one side) favors handing everything off to the dealer but....

So I'm battling with myself. I'd like to have my mind made up to avoid contacting the dealer if I'm going to sell it on my own.

What would YOU do? What's your counsel?

Thanks!

bc

Spyder Garage

Question

How much are you wanting to net from the sale?
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 622 Trailer

If it were me i would take some photos of it and a good decription as well as the price you would like to sell it for and post here in the classifieds im sure you would get some bites,the season for travel is comming up soon and im sure some Spyderlover would love to have a nice new trailer infact i have seen some posts where people were on the fence about buying th 622 or an after market trailer asuming the price was right hope this helps.
    Ps selling yourself will put more in your pocket rather than the dealer who im sure would take a bigger profit in theirs.
    mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 62 Trailer

Make a concerted effort to sell it via this forum then, if unsuccessful, resort to going through your dealer (like you said, if they will even do it). Bet there is a Spyderlovers out there who will jump at the good deal you'll offer...right?
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Sell it yourself if possible. Avoiding the middleman will put additional $ in your pocket, if you discount the extra work on your part factor.

The hard part is determining a quick sell price and what you will be happy with. The site can be a little hard on used items. Here the operative word is used. Even though your particular trailer has only 90 miles on it, most would consider it as used, and an opportunity to get BRP's best for a cheaper price.

If you post price X and get a hundred looks and no takers, the price you are asking is probably too high.

Wishing you a quick sale on your trailer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pop some pics of it and pitch it in the "4 Sale" section in here.
    Nothing ventured; nothing gained!
    the best of luck in finding it a new home!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Many a place..!!

This is the first stop. Then you also have E-bay who carries allot of spyder stuff. Amazon craigs list etc. But start here pictures of the trailer and the extras. Check the above sites for price ideas as well..good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I can't remember exactly who it was, but I was talking to a member of spyderlovers at the race track in Daytona for bike week. They had told me that they wanted a trailer, and that there was a 2010, but the dealer wanted "top dollar" for it.

You might list yours in the forum subsection dealing with selling items of interest. That to me would be your best bet.

I doubt that any of us use our trailers on a daily basis. I know there will be someone now who will say that they do, but for the most part I would think that number is very few. If I only use mine 4 times a year, I figure I'm ahead of the game, i.e., getting a "haul trailer" driving my car which doesn't get all that good of gas mileage, etc.

Hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default sale price

what color is it and will you send the trailer to me and when ever you decide on a price email me it I ,ll respond quickly I promise to your asking price thanks Rich

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Great ideas, guys (and gals?)! Thank you.

She's the Pure Magnesium Metallic.

I don't have a clue about the price or market value. I should have thought to ask you what you thought might fly.

New price from the dealer was $4349 + $99 for the tongue stand and $125.25 for the cover for a total of $4573.25 but, of course, "new" has little relevance here.

I'll pull her out of the garage this evening and shoot some photos and put it in the forum's classifieds. Maybe I'll just open it up for bids and let the market tell ME what it's worth. Otherwise I might as well use a dart board. <grin>

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'll get something uploaded this evening or tomorrow and we'll see.

Appreciatecha!

bc

P.S. Sorry but I don't want to get into the shipment arrangements game. Whoever buys it will have to figure that out and cover the costs. I don't mind shipping it, but the buyer will have to pay up front and pay for insurance, etc., so that I have no liability once the rig is loaded on the truck. Best, of course, would be to ride to pick it up.

P.S.S. And the downside to that is that you'll need the trailer hitch installed along with the wiring harness and I know I can remove and re-install the hitch but I have no idea how the dealer installed the harness so there would be some unknowns for a buyer. A little crazy, all of this, I know.

Spyder Garage

Default Harness for bike

I have not been able to find a factory harness and controller for the hitch. Can anyone tell me if there available and if so how much.

If it is available then I maybe interested in trailer and strip it down and paint it to match my can-am.

Spyder Garage

look at some of the ones that are currently for sale on this forum and the ones that already sold and that may give you an idea on pricing.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer