Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Has your Spyder ever broke (or nearly) Broke down?

Hello fellow Ryders:

I have a Spyder #406. And it has stopped running twice on me. The second time I was only 3 blocks from home when it quit. The first time I could not get it out of my garage.

Diagnostics show nothing is wrong. It does eventually start.

But when it will quit next nobody knows.

Do you have Any ideas? Have you experienced this?

What was done to fix your spyder?

Let me, and others know what you know!

Thanks

2faston3

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Has your Spyder ever broke (or nearly) Broke down?

My Spyder has gone into limp mode. I've never had it fail to start but I was able to get out of limp mode by letting it sit for 10 minutes.

Sorry for your luck!
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

I now consider the Spyder my primary mode of transportation. I pray that it doesn't break down, not start, go into limp mode, on me as that would mean I'm back to the beater, 1995, 12 MPG, no AC, Suburban. I don't want to have to drive that thing again until very late next fall or early winter. ;D
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On the way home from taking delivery from the dealer, I was maybe 125 miles into a 550 mile trip when mine went into limp mode then shut down. After a long tow, numerous successful starts and 2 days at a different dealer, the very persistent and skilled service manager figured out that it was possibly due to a bad yaw sensor. There was no clear indicator of that in the diagnostics, but the yaw sensor would not zero out consistently. He pulled a yaw sensor off of another unit (for which they had some part on order), that zeroed out properly on the BUDS program, and that seemed to do the trick.

2,000 plus miles later - no further problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2 things come to mind...first, let me say i dont have my spider yet, but i had a suzuki savage ls650 and it would out of nowhere shut down..now thw savage is nowhere as complex as the spider, but my problem was the vacume operated petcock....i put it on prime so it would bypass the vacume and it never did it again...the gas tank lid can also be another source of problem...if it doesnt get the proper air it will vapor lock....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife's went in to Limp Mode last Saturday on the way in for the Hindle install - VSS Fault and Check DPS where the messages. They checked it over and felt it was a connection issues and took it out for 10 miles before we got it back. Around 20 miles in to heading back home, same thing came back. We have it in for a part replacement - not sure what yet - but will advise all once I know and it clears.

Her's has just over 100 miles and I am aroudn 250 on mine with no issues to date on mine.

Spyder Garage

Check out "ignition problems" for my experience. Thursday, April 10th, was the last time the dealer got it to refuse to "turn on", and I took it to B'Ham and the Barber's AMA races with no problems [thus far]. No one knows WHY it would not "turn on" or why it is now working! I love it when it works!

hollylmh
    Yellow 444
    NW FL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Guys & Gals:

Thanks for the info. Keep us all posted on your "running" problems... I will mention the Yaw sensor when I stop in tomorrow...

Thanks and keep it coming...

2faston3

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

With all the discussions on break downs, what experience is there with transport of Spyders by dealers/tow companies/private owners. I hear that without long loading ramps or low trailers, the low clearance of the Spyder makes getting them on a trailer an issue.

Any recommendations on first trip home from the dealer after initial pick up? Ride or trailer?