Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gas Cap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New Gas Cap

tried to open my new gas cap to fill up yesterday and it now ratchets in BOTH directions.

finally got it to work but shortened my ride and am headed to the dealer tomorrow. hope they can get the old one off.

anyone else had this problem?

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    tried to open my new gas cap to fill up yesterday and it now ratchets in BOTH directions.

finally got it to work but shortened my ride and am headed to the dealer tomorrow. hope they can get the old one off.

anyone else had this problem?

thehawk
    Sounds like you got the 'child proof version'.

Not saying this will work but try pushing down 'hard' and backing it off.

fwiw, many of us lubed the O ring before installation to hopefully avoid this very problem.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default It's a first..!!

The first that I've heard. Lubing the o ring keeps the initial brake lose easier. I'm sure you tried the pressing down like a pill bottle etc but the dealer will get it off. Hope he has a replacement. Good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The first that I've heard. Lubing the o ring keeps the initial brake lose easier. I'm sure you tried the pressing down like a pill bottle etc but the dealer will get it off. Hope he has a replacement. Good luck..!!
    should have kept my old one just in case.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    The instructions with the new one was very specific, throw the old one away..... You are probably the only one that followed the instructions.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    The instructions with the new one was very specific, throw the old one away..... You are probably the only one that followed the instructions.

Cruzr Joe
    I threw away the old one too, but since BRP sent me two caps I was not worried about it.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Man, Child proof version, that was FUNNNY That makes my lungs open up from .
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't get a new cap yet. Guess I'll keep the old one.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I didn't get a new cap yet. Guess I'll keep the old one.
    if i could get mine off, i'd give it to you

so much for progress ... until tomorrow ... i guess it's not a pervasive problem ... perhaps i'm first

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

Glad to see you made it home safely. Hope to see you and Harvey at Spyderfest.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Holy shnikey's! I can't believe you actually took time to make that video! And...I actually took time to see what it was about! Worth it though as I got a great chuckle! Thanks I needed that! U da Bomb!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that you've got a "twist-top" version? 1347071447.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default New Gas Cap

What is this counter clockwise and clockwise of which you speak? I have only digital clocks, there are no hands to move in any direction.

Also, I do not believe that you may legally throw away (discard) the old cap in the fashion shown. The cap having been in contact with highly flammable gasoline liquid and vapor is considered to be
    "hazardous waste" and therefore will have to be disposed of only by a Federal Certified waste handler in a Federally Certified manner to a Federally Certified Hazardous waste facility under penalty of law!!

Just sayin'

KYSPYDER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh boy, Lamont! That sure was a nice bit of satire, but it didn't do much for helping us guys and gals with a stuborn gas cap. The first time that mine stuck on my RS, I didn't know if I was gonna get it open or not, being without a pair of channel-locks. Finally got it, and it didn't stick again for many months. Thought I had the solution in hand, by not tightening more than one click, but, lo and behold, the dang thing refused to budge the other day, and I was about ready to go looking for the trusty channel-locks, when I tried turning to the right a couple of clicks (yes, I'm plenty old enough to remember analog clocks, thank you very much.), before turning left. Sure enough, the thing loosened right up, and a quick check after filling the tank proved that it was back to normal. Go figure. Anyway, seems like this is a fairly common issue with the Spyder. Has the ratchet mechanism been changed on the newer/larger cap? I mean, really, I'd like to know. .................................................. .....................................
    Seriously.........................................Please?.................................................. ......................Lamont?
    You there?
    What? The thread has expired?
    Last edited by Dick Wells; 03-18-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just this small serious comment.

About a month after I first bought my Spyder in 2010, I experienced the same problem. The gas cap wouldn't come off unless I pried up on it.
    I was away in Gatlinburg at the time, and just went to a Wal Mart to get a new gas cap.
    It functioned well until I received the new one from BRP this year.
    I still have the old one. I keep it in the Gas Cap Hall Of Fame in my garage.

Now back to the entertainment portion of our program.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

all's well that ends well ... went to the dealer today, they replaced the cap, no questions asked ... but told me they had not seen it before.

guess i'm just a lucky guy!!

thanks for all the comments ... and i'm glad i was responsible for Lamont's rerun on his gas cap video ... worth the price of admission!!!! ROFL.

- 30 -

thehawk

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap got stuck for me as well

I just experienced the double ratcheting gas cap as well. luckily I was close to home when i tried to fill up and could go home for some tools. I finally had to pry up on it with a screw driver before I could get it to release.

This was the recall gas cap and I guess I was one of the few who followed instructions and threw out the old one.
    Stay Safe!

PaulB

2011 Orange/Black Spyder RS-S

Spyder Garage

my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

Default New gas cap messes with fuel gauge?

"Marlene" recently got her new gas cap and installed it. However now her gas gauge on the 2009 SM5 is wonky....readings are not too accurate...filling right to the tip top and it doesn't read full...after 60kms (40 miles) the electronic bar code indicator DROPPED FOUR BARS...NOT GOOD. ..she's asking Bombardier/dealer here in British Columbia....I'm asking Spyderlovers....

thx
    yatman

Spyder Garage

Default why?

can anyone tell me why we needed to change caps in the first place ?can can can anyone tell me why we had to change out the gas caps in the first place ? I never had a problem with mine ?
    2014 RT , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by connie9003 View Post
    can anyone tell me why we needed to change caps in the first place ?can can can anyone tell me why we had to change out the gas caps in the first place ? I never had a problem with mine ?

January 23rd, 2013
    Can-Am™ Roadster - Fuel Cap Replacement

BRP Spyder

Dear Can-Am Roadster Owner,
    Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. ("BRP") is conducting a safety recall on certain vehicles.
    Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.
    What is the potential problem?

The fuel cap may not seal properly the fuel tank filler neck. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.
    What should you do?

• Call an authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer to advise them that you need a new and improved fuel cap. This part will be at no charge to you.
    • OR
    • Make an appointment to have your fuel cap replaced. This part replacement should take less than 10 minutes to complete. The dealer will perform this work at no charge to you.

What to do if you feel this notice is an error?

This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or the owner's information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.

If you have questions, need assistance, or wish to find the nearest authorized BRP dealer:

Your continued satisfaction with your BRP Can-Am Roadster is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle proper operation.

Sincerely,
    After-Sales Service Department,
    Bombardier Recreational Products Inc.

http://www.spyder.brp.com/owner-cent...c-a14f011bf2ce

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I don't know what you mean by "new" gas cap. I have a 2014 and Can Am hasn't sent ME a new gas cap. My old one is stuck. The gas station had vise grips but they didn't help. It ratchets in both directions, so I guess the channel locks come next. Is there a GOOD gas cap in the auto parts stores?
    3:16

Spyder Garage

I don't know what you mean by "new" gas cap. I have a 2014 and Can Am hasn't sent ME a new gas cap. My old one is stuck. The gas station had vise grips but they didn't help. It ratchets in both directions, so I guess the channel locks come next. Is there a GOOD gas cap in the auto parts stores?

Spyder Garage

I got mine off with great pressure and vice grips. But now it won't go on or come off. Just spins freely.