Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT limited gas mileage issue

I'm new to the spyder owners group after riding HD and other brands since high school. I took a test drive a year ago and a couple more during the year and decided this would be a great touring bike that I could just relax and really enjoy the ride going cross country. Well I was given a offer on a new 2012 RT limited that I couldn't refuse.
    On the way home with it I didn't have second thoughts but I was concerned because it was different from what I was used to. The more I rode it the more I like it, but I was not falling in love. I went for a ride the the other day and all of a sudden it all clicked, I found myself not having to think about driving it and started riding it. The light came on.
    Its like flying a fixed wing airplane then flying a helicopter, your still up in the air but the technique is different.
    All I can say is if you have any doubts just give it a chance, you won't regret it.
    I really enjoy the RT and have no regrets, the only issue I have is the poor gas mileage. I like to go cross country on back roads and gas stations can be spread out.
    This is kinda scary since this is why I really wanted this bike to begin with.
    Any ideas on how to get better mileage? Can anything be done I filled up today again and I only got 20 mpg around town and around 25 mpg freeway at 65-70 mph.

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT limited gas mileage issue

weclome to the family . I get 32mi per gal. but I keep it around 55mi on the highway and I use the high grade Ican find about 92 octane, and I get better mileage I find.in my 2012 rtspg logo.jpg3660R.jpgIMG_3261.jpgIMG_3589.jpgIMG_2618.jpg I only get 4 mi per gal.with this toy with 110 octane ,you only live once,

550 hp under the hood.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Welcome and congrats on the Spyder. The ride is different than a 2 wheel but I agree that once you realize this, it's a lot "funner". It took me a few instances, of going in the wrong direction, not to countersteer. The bike is great and enjoy the ride.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood

As the Spyder 'Breaks In' your fuel miliage should increase, tho usually only by a few MPGs nothing drastic for the most part, at least that we've read about. We average about 26-28 MPGs ourselves & like many, wish it were better, but have learned after 50,000 miles or so to just Enjoy the Ryde & when we do long trips like to NY or Florida or SpyderFest or the Owners Event, we usually carry a gas can with an additional gallon, just in case. Can tell you tho, to date, we've actually rolled to a fuel pump on dead empty once, but have never had to use that spare gallon on a trip...... yet

The Spyder, as you've noticed, is a very different beast that most are familiar with, but still fun and our faces usually hurt after a spirited day of ryding the twisties, from smiling so dang much If you've not read the Do's & Do Not's Thread yet, we highly recommend it. Lots of good info for newer ryders. Good luck, have fun & most of ALL - ENJOY the RYDE!!!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Reda makes a nice 1 gallon can that will fit in your saddlebag.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How your right wrist dances with the "loud-lever" will have a lot to do with your re-fueling experiences...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You are a little on the low side, but it is likely to improve a bit when it becomes well broken in...a few thousand miles. If not, suspect a bad plug or plug wires...or an overactive right wrist. I have averaged 28 over 23,000 miles, about half or better two-up with a trailer, and a lot of it expressway. A REDA can or two in the left saddlebag, or a Rotopax container or two in the front trunk can ease your mind on those long, lonely roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Reda makes a nice 1 gallon can that will fit in your saddlebag.

my 2012 RT limited gets about 125 miles(about 22-23 Brisk MPG) to a tank before i have to gas up again. The REDA gas can or the rotopax gas can is a must if you are not just running around town.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I usually fill up around 120-130 miles, but that's because I become too nervous as the fuel gauge gets closer to the E. Most tanks are 26-28 mpg although I've had them down to 24 and occasionally as high as 30. The most miles I've logged on a tank was 150+, but I figured on that trip that I was going to return to FL as a widow...having killed Ed for making me run out of gas, in his quest to purchase the cheapest gas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

most here have told you what to xpect i get about 32 but ride around 55 60 mph and use 91 or 92 octane all the time.and mine is a rs.with a open muffler .never use ethynol gas,.and like most have told you read the dose and donts,things you need to know to keep you and your spyder happy,and out of limp mode. now ride safe and have a lot of fun.

Spyder Garage

You are kind of at the "low" end of the spectrum, but it could be that the needs more break in time. By 5000 miles or so, you should be getting the mileage you can depend on consistantly.

I average 30-31 mpg on both my current RT's. Both ridden solo and generally not to agressively. I usually go 150 miles between fills and it takes about five gallons at fill time. My refuel lights go on (digital gauges) right around the 150 mile mark.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-26-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gas mileage varies, but I thinking to experiment the hydrogen fuel generating kit for add on mod. The company are claiming 30 % better mileage on their product.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Gas mileage varies, but I thinking to experiment the hydrogen fuel generating kit for add on mod. The company are claiming 30 % better mileage on their product.

I would be interested in knowing how the above would work--but want someone else to be the guinea pig here.

A big question for me is: Would the system mess with the EFI or other computer things and cause the to run funny, cause limp modes, or other computer glitches.

Cost/value would be another question. Claims of saving 30% on gas would result in about a savings of $6.00 per tank. EG: 5 gallons at $4.00 per gallon = 20.00 x .70% = $14.00 per tank. Based on $6.00 per tank--$5.00 (conservative)--how many tanks would I have to fill before I got my money back on the unit?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It's impossible to create more energy from the hydrogen than the energy in the gas you burned to drive your alternator to power the process of driving the hydrogen and oxygen from the water. It is not a free energy thing but a scam. At each conversion there is a loss of efficiency... burning gas > engine friction > conversion of rotating force to electricity > generating hydrogen.

If you see an increase in mileage after installing the device it is because you changed your driving habits.

If it worked we would all be driving vehicles powered with water!

John
    Last edited by jthornton; 03-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

As I posted in a different thread, the reality is that the spyder isn't known for good gas mileage. Consequently, I'm getting the 1.75 gallon Rotopax gas container that I will store in my trailer.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    It's impossible to create more energy from the hydrogen than the energy in the gas you burned to drive your alternator to power the process of driving the hydrogen and oxygen from the water. It is not a free energy thing but a scam. At each conversion there is a loss of efficiency... burning gas > engine friction > conversion of rotating force to electricity > generating hydrogen.

If you see an increase in mileage after installing the device it is because you changed your driving habits.

If it worked we would all be driving vehicles powered with water!

John
    That's makes me wonder too, Hydrogen powered buses in Canada, New cars hydrogen powered maybe they are just for green power.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"ST"
    What rpm are you shifting at?
    What rpm range are you normally in when cruising down the road?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I normally go 140 to 150 miles per fill up and get a good 30 mpg. I think it increased when I put the stripes on it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Shifting

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "ST"
    What rpm are you shifting at?
    What rpm range are you normally in when cruising down the road?
    I'm shifting around 4-5k and my freeway speed is 65-70 in 5th gear. I tend to shift to a higher gear even around town hoping the lower rpm will equal better mileage.
    Im still experimenting trying to see what would work best. I don't hot rod it i have a BMW K1200 RS for that and a HD to make noise.
    Just frustrated that my other do so much better on the gas mileage.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You are kind of at the "low" end of the spectrum, but it could be that the needs more break in time. By 5000 miles or so, you should be getting the mileage you can depend on consistantly.

I average 30-31 mpg on both my current RT's. Both ridden solo and generally not to agressively. I usually go 150 miles between fills and it takes about five gallons at fill time. My refuel lights go on (analog gauges) right around the 150 mile mark.
    What is your average highway speeds? What's your rpm shift points?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

That's makes me wonder too, Hydrogen powered buses in Canada, New cars hydrogen powered maybe they are just for green power.
    Hydrogen fuel cell cars are a different thing but it still takes electricity to make the hydrogen. I'd have to agree they are just for the green power as they only emit water as a by product of the combustion process. If you could only get free electricity...

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stflyer View Post
    What is your average highway speeds? What's your rpm shift points?
    Thanks
    I usually shift between 4500 and 5500 (all the time now). That keeps me in lower gears around town. Very rarely do I get out of third gear in town (up to 45 MPH). The 30 mph stuff usually does not see more than second gear. Regular highway speed up to 60--I leave it in 4th gear. 65 and over is when I use fifth. The engine sounds louder, but I have found the is always ready to "go". I believe my mileage actually improved by a mile per gallon or so when not lugging the spyder--(under 4000 rpm's for me). Shifting to 5th and using it as an overdrive IMO: causes the engine to lug a little, resulting in less, rather than better mileage.

It took a little getting used to--because the shift points mentioned are not the "instinctive feel and sound" of the shifting points that most of us are used to.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage

We have a 2010 RT-S with 8500 miles on the odometer. We use the 93 Octane rated gasoline. Keeping the speed between 55-60 we will average between 32-34 mpgs. The best that we have had is 36 mpgs and our speed was 55 mph. When are speed is in the 70-75 mph range our mpgs drops to 25-27.
    Reese

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default help your mileage....

Dave,
    my bride says you bride should drive for a while to see if it helps.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default gas mileage..!!

We have the RS with 4500 miles on it and get 31.6 mpg's running 75/80 freeway 50/55 back roads. We use the highest octane and "seafoam" additive.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black