Spyder Garage

Farting in California without a permit.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It was Magic for me on my demo ride

I was down in Cortland, NY with my son in the fall of 2007 when about 13 of these "funny looking" things were going the opposite way. I asked my son what the *&^$% were they. He seemed to have heard about them and said he had forgot they were giving demo rides that day at the CanAm dealership and we should go try them out. So we did, and as I look back it was magic for me. We had a great and fast demo ride. When we got back I told my son I was going to have one of those and the next spring on April 9, 2008 I took delivery on our retirment gift, the Spyder. It has been a great time since then and we have made the Owners event in Canada and Chicago, out to Michigan for the Great Lakes Weekend, SITS rally in TN. 3 years in a row, SITA event in Lake Placid for both years up there and last year out to Spyderfest in Cuba and now we are going to Lens Pitbull Powersports for our 2nd Spyderfest and can't wait to get there. Of course we have done a lot of riding around the Finger Lakes and all over NY and down into Pa. many times. We have met so many great people that have become good friends that we would have never met minus the Spyder. We are truly Spyder Lovers and ride as often as we can. We have a little over 78,000 miles on it now and hopefully we can ride another 2 to 3 years more on this bike and log over 150,000 on it before we get our next Spyder. Thank you BRP for a great ride in more ways than one!!!!
    Last edited by Spyderjockey; 03-16-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Came late (68) to riding but knew the spyder was for me

That pretty much says it all. Last August my good friend and fellow ham got his RT A&C. In September I got my permit and got a chance to drive his Spyder in a couple of big parking lots and a little road time. In October I passed the MSF course and got my Big Boy license. A week later the wife and I saw a Viper Red RT-S at the local dealer. Had to have it. Whilst trying to figure out financing etc it go sold. Found another one in Columbus figured the financing and drove it home in late October. Linda has an MP-3 500 but would like a of her own.

Ride Safe,
    Curt
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Retirement present

I was delivering parts when I when by the dealership an was the Spyder. My wife would not let me have a bike because I had wreaked in 1972 in Hawaii . I took her to see the Spyder in July and she said ok in August . Have loved it ever since.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    We have met so many great people that have become good friends that we would have never met minus the Spyder. We are truly Spyder Lovers and ride as often as we can. Thank you BRP for a great ride in more ways than one!!!!
    Jim,
    VERY well-put!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had been bugging Janet to go to one of the dealers just to look at Spyders since I saw an ad, and one or two in passing on the highway. After several months of this, she agreed to 'look' at the dealer on an upcoming Saturday morning in Oct 2011.
    We were to go following a hair trim for her that morning. Across from the salon was the original building for one of the local HD dealers, which had been converted to a clearance center for said dealer when they built a new building out on the highway. Out in front that morning sat a 'used' 2011 RT A/C with a matching 622 trailer in Orbital Blue that had been traded in. Janet looked up to the skies, said "Ok, I get the hint!" and called me to come down and meet her. Within a couple hours, the paperwork was done, the financing cleared, and I got on it for the first time to start it and ride it home! It had 622 miles on the clock, and the initial servicing was completed. I'm changing the oil this weekend, and the clock is just shy of 14000 happy, trouble-free miles of smiles!!
    (Good deal, too...we basically got the trailer for free!)
    Our 'Tardis' 2011 RT SE5 A/C Orbital Blue & 622 Trailer
    HMT Brake Lt, KewlMetal Hwy Brkts, Corbin Seat w/heat & backrest, Custom Dynamics Fender Tips & Mudflap LEDs, Gorilla Alarm, Stebel Horn, Xenon Depot HID Kit, SpyderPOPS Radiator block & BumpSkid, RumblingPride TCM flag mts, Elkas, BRP Fogs, Garmin 665, Alaskan Leather ButtPads, Gremlin Bell, GripBuddies, his/her htd gear power jacks, KewlMetal Perf Air Intake, BajaRon plugs/wires & Anti-Sway Bar, Baker Belt Stabilizer, Baker Mug.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had been interested in getting into motorcycling for a while, and after I got divorced, I suddenly became a risk-taker and bought a Suzuki Savage (650 cc) without ever having ridden before. I never got the hang of it and sold it. Years later I tried again and bought a Burgman 400, thinking the automatic would make a difference. Then, after taking the MSF course on 250cc bikes, I realized shifting gears wasn't so hard. So I traded the Burgie for a V-Star 950. Boy did I bite off more than I could chew. I kept dropping it, and became fearful every time I took it out. So I dowsized to a V-star 250 to get comfortable. But it never happened. With some health problems thown in, it got to where I looked for reasons not to ride, instead of for reasons to ride. I had seen the Spyder ads and occasionally on the road. But funds were limited and the nearest dealer to me is 2 hours away. But I was determined to find one I could afford. I found my RTS on CraigsList. It had been traded in to a Harley dealer in Joplin and they had a decent price on it and then came down some, to boot. So I am finally on the road, open air, feeling great about it.

Can't wait to meet ya'll at Spyderfest and continue my Spyducation.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

mine is easy. when the wife said I could get one, I was on the road headed to the dealers before she could change her mind. she loves it as much as I do!!!

Spyder Garage

Default It happened so fast

#1 BRP commercial
    #2 Run down into office and find info net
    #3 Go see them in person
    #4 Dealers in my area sucked
    #5 Found this site
    #6 P & M about #4
    #7 Found Len(pitbull power sports now)
    #8 Flew to Missouri, drove up an down service road in the rain
    #9 Wrote check
    #10 Spyderfest Limited addition delivered to NJ

I blame this site and Len for the good times and new friends met over the past 2 years
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

As I got older I dropped my bikes more frequently when stopped or pushing them around. Saw a write-up in Cycle Canada & was hooked. Went to look at one when they first had them in dealers in '08. Sat on the GS (all they had back then) & did not find it comfortable.
    Signed up for a test ride in July of '08. It was about 95F & very humid that day. I did not enjoy my test ride & found the steering to be overly sensitive. Dismissed the Spyder from my mind
    Had another test ride in '11 after a few more mishaps (no injuries) on 2 wheels. Still was not that impressed.
    Had a 3rd test ride in June of '12 on an RT Limited (or what ever the most expensive one is).

Loved it but didn't want to bust the bank

Later that month (June '12) I was drawn yet again to the dealer (Contant, in Mirabel north of Montreal) & he had an '08 GS with only 100 miles on it. I bought it on the spot trading in my '06 Silverwing scooter. Bought a Kewl Metal riser kit at the same time.

Took a while to get used to it after over 50 years on 2 wheels but am content now. So far I haven't dropped it

I live in a very big city on an island & there is not a single Can-Am dealer on it. I have to go off-island to find one (20 miles).

Today is the first day us Quebec motorcycle/Spyder riders are allowed on the roads as the mandatory snow tire usage has finished until Dec 15th. However it was way below freezing today & I can't see myself getting on it until next Sat when 55F is promised.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

after riding 2 wheels for many years I began having knee issues and muscle wasting in my legs... couldn't hold up bike anymore..I wanted a trike but the only one insurance company would insure was the Harley trike which was way out of my price range, or the spyder..which is still out of my price range (poor single old as dirt gal). But I decided i didnt want to give up riding and needed to start living again, so off to the bank i go and bought me, sight unseen, a gs spyder.So i didn't fall in love with the bike before i bought it.. it was just the only option for me..spyder or nothing. I do love it now.

Spyder Garage

Saw a commercial on TV, went to the website. Made reservations for a demo ride, did a demo ride around the parking lot, (hadn't had a M endorsement for years) and decided I wanted one.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

My sister, Catniption, IM'd me one day, saying that she was going to sell her bike. I was floored; she hadn't had it that long, and it was a sweet little Honda. I asked why, and she said "Because I'm getting a Can-am Spyder. Naturally, I replied "WTF is that???" She sent me a link, and I helped her scour the net for just the right Spyder for her. We found Shelly in Rock Hill SC, and after she bought it, she came by my house on her way home. I walked around the Spyder, and said "I might need one of these." I love to ride, but am clumsy as an ox. Then I sat on it. "Yup, I DEFINITELY need one of these." A month later, I bought Clyde, not having MC endorsement, or having taken a test drive. Catniption was nice enough to bring Clyde home for me, and he has lived here ever since. That was September 2010.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LOVE MY SPYDER

Went to Louisville Ky to a boat show the first week of Feb. 2013 They had a couple there. I had never seen one before. I had a Honda 350 4 cy. in the early 1980's while as in college but my dad brought it from me to keep me off it. Had always been against bikes because I have had a few friends hurt on them. Looked at the all the safety factor of the spdyer and was ready to get one. So one week after the Boat Show i went to Mountain Motorsports in Kodak TN and picked up my 2013 RT Limited Pearl White. In just over one mouth i have 1500 miles on it. My kids think i am having a mid life crisis and now that I just turned fifty maybe i am but it sure is fun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went out early 2012 and bought my first motorcycle and put 5000 miles on it and could nit lean it to the rude due to lower back. Being new to the bike world it was hard for me to take my wife out on rides too and she loved being on it. So i went to a dealer were I bought my bike and they gave me more for the bike then what I paid for it and I left with a 2012 rd that now has 8000 miles on it and wife and I have loved every one. That's my story and can't wait for warmer weather to put more miles on it!

Spyder Garage

I had seen a lady riding VisitedStatesMap.jpega Spyder thru my town about 2 years ago. Followed her to a restaurant parking lot and asked a lot of questions. Checked them out on the internet, but didn't want an RS or the RT. In the 80's I had owned a Honda Silver Wing 650 which was a sport touring bike. That's what I wanted, so every few months I would check out the BRP website. Finally late last summer I saw that they were going to release the ST and I knew that was what I wanted. Had to wait until mid December of '12 before a dealer had one. I drove down, sat on it, and put down a deposit that same day. Picked it up the first week of January and have been in Spyder heaven ever since!!!
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Tell your story. What was the moment you knew you had to have a Spyder?

Had not ridden a bike for about twenty years ( i was 63 at this time), brother in law lives next door to me and kept talking about buying a new Wing, ( he had'nt rode in about as many years and was 64 at this time). We went with the wives in my truck to look at the Wing, short story, way too heavy, looked at the honda trike, salesman did not know much about his product, we also learned that not every honda dealer would honor the warranty because it is not a Factory unit. We left and went to have lunch, told my brother in law that we ought to go see these Spyder things, he said NO, he would not have one of those things.

He was riding in my truck and i wanted to see what a spyder was, he had no choice but go with me. Within a week i bought a 2012 Lava Bronze RT Limited, next week he bought a Pearl White RT Limited. 9 months later i have 9,300 happy ,trouble free miles on mine and more smiles than i can count, brother in law has less miles but as many smiles

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Horse or spyder

saw a commerical on tv, --- So hubby ask me If I would be happy with a bike instead of having a horse (I been wanting a horse, but no room for one). We went to a dealer, then our dream place came up for sale, so a new place to live and a place for a horse.--No Horse--spyder instead. He complains on how much oil change and such cost, but I remind him, he spends 100's of dollars on his pigeons, I am going to spend what I want on my bike. LOL Funny thing is, I only had it for two years and I want a new one --up grade
    Last edited by jat4736; 03-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had been seeing pictures and a few commercials about the spyder and was intrigued. I was on 2 wheels, but just wasn't comfortable. Hubby was picking up his new bike in St Augustine and they happened to have a test ride that weekend. It was cold and windy and I was just ready to say forget it. Hubby and my parents talked me into it. We were on the test ride and I couldn't stop grinning. I was so comfortable, confident and I finally was enoying the ride, not worrying about dropping the bike or whatever. We got back to the dealership and I told my husband I will sell my scooter, and my Suzuki, for the spyder. He knew he was in trouble when we stopped halfway through the test ride to make sure all was okay, and the ride leaders asked if we wanted to go longer since we were the last ones. Absolutely! I have never regretted the spyder, in fact I put a deposit on a new Maganesium STS on Saturday.

Joyce
    happy owner

Spyder Garage

I had a two wheeler and, my girl friend would not ride on the back with me so, I decided to look at three wheels. There was a Can Am dealer on my way to and from work so I stopped by one day after work and looked at a Spyder. I put in a lot of seat miles on the Spyder on the show room floor before I decided to purchase one. Could not afford payments on an RT so, I tried out an RS and have been happy since.

Spyder Garage

Me and my wife have never been on a motocycle,but she was always talking about getting a trike,I was not too happy with that as trikes are not much safer then bikes,then she had me drive her to this store to look(it does not cost anything to look right?)so we look at the Spyder,a blue RT-s with a sold tag on it and she stood on the left peg and it did not tip or even move much and said she wanted it, so found out they only had one other one , a Metallic RT-S that was still on the flatbed as it just came in,we bought cash and they delivered the next day and we learned to drive going around our block.This was in March 2011,she drove it by herself to MV for the owners event and in July I bought a White RS,we will both be in MV this June!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It was the closest dealership to the Nuthouse that I broke out of...

Actually I kind of noticed them in 2008; an ATVing buddy of mine had an Outlander 650XT and it was pretty nice... but I didn't bite!
    Cut to June of 2010... I took the Missus to her favorite quilting store up in Walton, NY. My job; such as it was: to driver her there, sit in the truck, don't bother her, and come carry packages when she came out to get me.
    So I'm sitting in the truck; doing my best imitation of a short, fat, balding , Golden Retriever for what seems like weeks... it actually wasn't more than 10 or 27 hours...
    She comes out; I go in, and haul out enough material to make enough parachutes for the Normandy landings...
    AS A REWARD for behaving... she says that we can go up to the kawasaki and Ski doo dealer in Town so that I could "shop a little."
    We get there, and they've got four or five Spyders lined up just inside the main door... RTs and RSs!
    She looks at me and says, "That could be just like our GoldWing was when we were first married!"
    And that; was that! They didn't have the color that she wanted, so we found one a couple of weeks later and have been tickled pink with it ever since!
    So Bob, you must have bought yours from Klinger's. My father just got a really good price from them. How far are you from Walton? I got a Veterinary Science degree from Delhi and intend on going over to try out the roads in that area this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    I was down in Cortland, NY with my son in the fall of 2007 when about 13 of these "funny looking" things were going the opposite way. I asked my son what the *&^$% were they. He seemed to have heard about them and said he had forgot they were giving demo rides that day at the CanAm dealership and we should go try them out. So we did, and as I look back it was magic for me. We had a great and fast demo ride. When we got back I told my son I was going to have one of those and the next spring on April 9, 2008 I took delivery on our retirment gift, the Spyder. It has been a great time since then and we have made the Owners event in Canada and Chicago, out to Michigan for the Great Lakes Weekend, SITS rally in TN. 3 years in a row, SITA event in Lake Placid for both years up there and last year out to Spyderfest in Cuba and now we are going to Lens Pitbull Powersports for our 2nd Spyderfest and can't wait to get there. Of course we have done a lot of riding around the Finger Lakes and all over NY and down into Pa. many times. We have met so many great people that have become good friends that we would have never met minus the Spyder. We are truly Spyder Lovers and ride as often as we can. We have a little over 78,000 miles on it now and hopefully we can ride another 2 to 3 years more on this bike and log over 150,000 on it before we get our next Spyder. Thank you BRP for a great ride in more ways than one!!!!
    Can't wait to ride with you guys, daughter is really looking forward to Gilligan's, but the ice cream might have something to do with that.

Just sayin'..............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Chad,
    We're maybe an hour South and East of them...
    Take 206 back to Downsville, then Roscoe...
    Then 17 back to Liberty..
    Then 55 East to Grahamsville!

We spent a lot of time on those roads while Sonny-Boy was in Oneonta learning how to drin... GET SMARTER!
    His fiancee went to Delhi...culinary program!

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In '08 I saw a silver GS at a 7/11. I flipped out!!! Was riding a Honda Silverwing. As a 65 yr. old gimpy guy, I was tired of tipping over at a Stop sign and about ready to give the whole thing up. "One day" was my first reaction to the GS. Looked at a couple of SM5's but they didn't work for me. Finally got a chance to try '09 RS SE5 and was hooked. Still didn't fit quite right so added a 5"riser, a 25" windshield...almost right, then came the idea for my Seal Floorboard and I was off and running. Funny how one's life can change so suddenly. I now ride my 2011 RT Silver Seal Cowtown Special and have a new career. How cool is life.