Spyder Garage

Smile New Spyder owner

Just got my Spyder today! Sure feels different than regular cycle! Lots more power than I've ever had. I think I'm going to like this bike! I'm a bit fuzzy on shifting but I can feel the engine and hear the sound of it when it seems to be time to upshift. Is it okay if I let the bike downshift?

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting

I am assuming you have the SE5 transmission. It is just fine for it to down shift automatically. It is supposed to do that or you can down shift it yourself. When shifting up let the RPM get up to 4,000 to 5,000+ RPM before shifting, depending on the terrain. There is no need to roll the throttle. Just hit the + shift lever. You will eventually get a feel of when to shift without looking at the RPMs. Don't worry about getting into 5th gear until you are running at about 65 MPH in 4th.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new toy. It is ok to let it down shift by itself. The spyder likes the RPMs so run it out a little before you shift.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
    Just got my Spyder today! Sure feels different than regular cycle! Lots more power than I've ever had. I think I'm going to like this bike! I'm a bit fuzzy on shifting but I can feel the engine and hear the sound of it when it seems to be time to upshift. Is it okay if I let the bike downshift?
    Welcome, Cindi!!

There are lots of posts on Spyderlovers about when to shift, when to let it auto-downshift, etc. Generally most people agree on shifting around 5000 rpm. That's the power band on the Spyder. Some folks always let the Spyder downshift, others always manually downshift. I'm generally a tweener. I definitely manually downshift when I'm maneuvering on a highway that is a mix of straightaways and curves because I don't want to guess when it's going to downshift right in the middle of a curve. But when I'm coming to a stop, I let it do its thing.

Just my two cents. Read a lot on here, get some practice, and have fun! Are you going to Spyderfest in Springfield, MO in April? Also, if you're on Facebook we have a great group of almost 500 women Spyder riders (closed group) called Girls on Spyders. Come join us if you want!

Spyder Garage

Default Do-s-and-Do-Nots

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pyder+don%27ts Here is some informative reading.

Spyder Garage

on the purchase of your Spyder. Ride Safe & Long!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Rock'nSTLtd's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default welcome to da club

granpa's sled in the pic enjoy have fun and be safe the difference between good and great is time in the seat know it like the back of your hand and you will be a jedi master good luck and congrats
    Last edited by bh164; 03-16-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: mis-spelled

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats..!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of reverse triking. Your going to love it and here is were you will find a wealth of information answers and some stupidity...enjoy the ryde be safe and don't be afraid to ask about just about anything here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

and not much more I can add since I agree with all of the above comments!
    KEEP YOUR KNEES IN THE BREEZE!!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to the SpyderHood!

and

You'll be getting more comfy with the Spyder in no time! Looking forward to meeting at Spyderfest!
    Now we just need some more days like the last two...in the 70's and above....supposed to be back in the 40's again today, and another chance of rain and snow tomorrow!
    Ryde Safe, and holler if you get up this way!!

Pete & Janet(SpyderRocks)
    Our 'Tardis' 2011 RT SE5 A/C Orbital Blue & 622 Trailer
    HMT Brake Lt, KewlMetal Hwy Brkts, Corbin Seat w/heat & backrest, Custom Dynamics Fender Tips & Mudflap LEDs, Gorilla Alarm, Stebel Horn, Xenon Depot HID Kit, SpyderPOPS Radiator block & BumpSkid, RumblingPride TCM flag mts, Elkas, BRP Fogs, Garmin 665, Alaskan Leather ButtPads, Gremlin Bell, GripBuddies, his/her htd gear power jacks, KewlMetal Perf Air Intake, BajaRon plugs/wires & Anti-Sway Bar, Baker Belt Stabilizer, Baker Mug.

Spyder Garage

On so another one gets hooked! The numbers just keep increasing! How cool is that?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderlovers. Wishing you many miles and smiles ahead !!

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the fun, I assume as close as you are to Ozark you'll be at SpyderFest?

I'm a long long time 2 wheel guy with <600 miles on my spyder so I can relate. As everyone says keep the RPM up and shift at about 5k. A couple of things I noticed is try to avoid shifting in a curve and if going up a hill manually down shift. Keep the RPM above 3200 in any gear above 1st so the auto clutch is locked. Coming to a stop just let it down shift. Don't put your feet down at the stop light.

Check the air in the front tires! Most folks seem to like the front tires in the upper range of the pressure limit. I prefer 19 or so psig. Mine came with 13psig in the front tires and it was not a good thing. If your riding 2 up set the front shock spring preload on 4.

John

Spyder Garage

and on your new ...............you still have time to make plans on comming to Spyderfest, hope to see you their!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the new . They have you covered on the shifting question.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our family!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Rider

have fun and enjoy.
    I am a new owner my self. I bought my first last year. I bought a 2012 RT-SE 5 Quautum Blue. I put 2,700 miles on it from mid july to Oct. 1. I love my .

Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

on the new ryde!!! ryde hard and ryde often! on!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default new ryde

Congrats on the new Spyder. You will truly enjoy the three wheel experience! Ride often and be safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up good one

from down-under , youre in for a fun time .
    cheers mick

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the "More Smiles Per Mile Party"

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!

Definitely a different rYde!

i just installed some "Web Boards" and it rYdes much better!

Enjoy the !!! and rYde SAFE!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and to the spyder web. Dale