Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Randy, Randy, Randy...
    One of these days; Holly's gonna bring home something from the medicine locker, and you'll be drooling out one of your earholes for the rest of your life; BOTH seconds of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Local news today

A 58 y/o motorcyclist was thrown from his 1997 Harley Davidson motorcycle.

According to Highway Patrol, a pickup truck did not yield to cross traffic and struck the cyclist.

Both vehicles were moving 'at or slower' than the 25-mph posted speed limit.

The cyclist however, was wearing a “novelty” helmet and may not have been in compliance with state traffic safety laws, according to the Highway Patrol.

He was taken to Desert Regional Medical Center with major injuries and later died.

Names omitted.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Half helmet only. We are all taking additional risks getting on a spyder or 2wheel and I am willing to take just little more. If you only wear ff helmet, no problem here.

California adopting mandatory helmet law kept me off motorcycle for a loooong time but these days, I will voluntarily wear, at least my half helmet even when I am in Arizona where I don't have to.

At least mine is dot approved, not the beanie Harley riders wear.

Half helmet, pullover face mask and my Oakley wind jacket,,,, I am set.
    Last edited by aka1004; 03-17-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Default full face vs half vs beenie helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    A 58 y/o motorcyclist was thrown from his 1997 Harley Davidson motorcycle.

According to Highway Patrol, a pickup truck did not yield to cross traffic and struck the cyclist.

Both vehicles were moving 'at or slower' than the 25-mph posted speed limit.

The cyclist however, was wearing a “novelty” helmet and may not have been in compliance with state traffic safety laws, according to the Highway Patrol.

He was taken to Desert Regional Medical Center with major injuries and later died.

Names omitted.
    When I used to handle these type responses, I remember that if there were any serious injuries the media would note if the rider wasn't wearing a helmet (or an unapproved helmet) but not once did I ever read that the rider was properly attired. I remember once a guy on a stolen bike didn't make a curve on a raised portion of interstate (doing in excess of 100 mph), bike stayed on the pavement, rider wound up impaled on a traffic sign 25 feet below. TV reported he was not wearing a helmet, I was always curious just what difference they presume it would have made (for that matter, he could have been wearing a suit of armor, still wouldn't have helped) An acquaintance of mine died after turning directly in front of an oncoming semi, first question from media was if he were wearing a helmet. He was indeed, so it was never mentioned. For safetycrats, it's not enough to say your head will be somewhat safer with an approved helmet, better to perpetuate the myth that no one is ever injured wearing a helmet (even with shorts and flip flops), and riding without is certain death.
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Lets face it if you really want to be safe, Stay home Wrap yourself in bubble wrap, And never leave your house.
    And if you use any electrical appliances, Let some one else turn them on for you, You don't want to get
    a electric shock do you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I'd like to consider this issue, as one of determining just what the acceptable level of risk is in order to enjoy the sport.
    Keeping in mind that there are always TONS of factors to consider...

And we all have heard plenty of horror stories along the way...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me, I like my full face for weather protection, plus I'm adverse to plowing up the asphalt with my face. Whatever. Wear what you want, but be careful out there!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess that I'd like to consider this issue, as one of determining just what the acceptable level of risk is in order to enjoy the sport.
    Keeping in mind that there are always TONS of factors to consider...

And we all have heard plenty of horror stories along the way...

well said.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Lets face it if you really want to be safe, Stay home Wrap yourself in bubble wrap, And never leave your house.
    And if you use any electrical appliances, Let some one else turn them on for you, You don't want to get
    a electric shock do you.
    i'm with you on this one. the wife and I wear 3/4 helmets when we ride together. when i'm alone I wear the 1/2 helmet. (at least dot approved) !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    a electric shock do you.
    With my luck I'd suffocate on the bubble wrap. DOH!
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post

Good one!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen the future. You know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin, sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing, "I'm an Oscar Meyer wiener."**

** With apologies to "Demolition Man"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a FF. I like my XM and CB to be clear but the main reason is, in an accident, it is likely your face will hit the pavement and your chin, etc could be in trouble.

In my only accident in over 60 years of riding was when I was rear ended at a stop light. The driver, 21 and sober (per police) was going about 35 mph and did not hit the brakes....it knocked my 2 wheeled Wing over 20 feet and me 30 feet. The police took my belongings to my home and me to the hospital with six broken ribs and lots of rash. The officer gave my wife my helmet and said "I am sure glad he was wearing this, look at these three gouges in the helmet. Any of the three would have caused a serious injury."

I live 20 miles north of San Antonio. We have a large motorcycle community and ride 12 months a year. With this, we have a number of accidents....2 or 3 a week that are reported on TV. A majority of the deaths are folks with out any helmet. The death last night was a gentleman, wearing a helmet, hitting a divider wall and his head hit a sign post as he sailed down the highway....the police said alcohol and high speed may have been a factor....another problem with m/c deaths.

I wear a FF and a mesh armored jacket....always....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sensational

When I used to handle these type responses, I remember that if there were any serious injuries the media would note if the rider wasn't wearing a helmet (or an unapproved helmet) but not once did I ever read that the rider was properly attired. I remember once a guy on a stolen bike didn't make a curve on a raised portion of interstate (doing in excess of 100 mph), bike stayed on the pavement, rider wound up impaled on a traffic sign 25 feet below. TV reported he was not wearing a helmet, I was always curious just what difference they presume it would have made (for that matter, he could have been wearing a suit of armor, still wouldn't have helped) An acquaintance of mine died after turning directly in front of an oncoming semi, first question from media was if he were wearing a helmet. He was indeed, so it was never mentioned. For safetycrats, it's not enough to say your head will be somewhat safer with an approved helmet, better to perpetuate the myth that no one is ever injured wearing a helmet (even with shorts and flip flops), and riding without is certain death.
    The media don't care about people when they report the news. Sorry if anyone from the media on this site, I don't intend to offend, even though it is offensive. Journalism 101, don't become emotional involved in a story. They sensationalize the news, ask some incredibly stupid questions at times, and prey on the emotions, beliefs, and opinions of people in order to pull at people's strings. I agree with you. There are just some instances where you can have on all the protective equipment available in the world it isn't going to matter. Surviving a crash isn't only about what you are wearing, it is mostly about what you or the other person did to get you to that point in the first place and having a plan to avoid it. Just like anything else, complacent behavior is our enemy. If we get to comfortable, we become less cautious. We become lazy and arrogant drivers. If you ever feel invincible or overly comfortable on a motorcycle, look out, this is the first danger sign. What works for me is I tell myself I am riding on the exterior of the vehicle every time I throw a leg over. I am a way better driver on a motorcycle than in a cage. I have to be. Cheers have a great Sunday. To you guys in the south enjoy your ride, me, I have to go use the snow blower for the third time this weekend.

Spyder Garage

Default Full Face Modular

I always wear my full-face modular. It is really convenient to flip up at the gas station or at slow speeds when it is hot, and yet provides good protection. I had a silvered shield for it, but after the first two scratched, almost by just looking at them, gave up and went to a dark smoked shield, which is working out just great. Someone once asked how much a person should spend for a helmet. The answer was: "If you have a $10 brain, go ahead and buy a $10 helmet." Gets the message across. By the way, I had a rock strike on my Clearview windshield on a previous bike, which destroyed the windshield. I don't know if the helmet shield would have stopped it, for sure. When you are riding the Spyder, you are looking over the shield, so you are somewhat exposed to a rock (or bird, or big bug) strike. It always makes me wince when I see riders with NO shield or even eye protection. My previous wife and I were riding our bike with 3/4 helmets with bubble shields one day. She was struck and stung by a bee next to her nose. The next day she went to work looking Asian on the "bee side" from all the swelling. A full-face helmet would have avoided that happening.

Spyder Garage

Full face here... I remember an old Bell Helmet Ad that said,"If you have a 10 dollar head then wear a 10 dollar helmet" I never forgot that ad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Dog6 View Post
    Full face here... I remember an old Bell Helmet Ad that said,"If you have a 10 dollar head then wear a 10 dollar helmet" I never forgot that ad.
    That was one of my favorites, too...only I'm so old that it was a $5 helmet in my day.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

This is a no brainer, FF. What good is protecting the top of your head if the bottom gets ripped off?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I'm surprised...
    We've actually had very few posters in here who are generally opposed to wearing a helmet...
    Where is all of that righteous indignation???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool no choice

hi all ive got 6 helmets all the way from beanie to full face and i wear what ever i feel like, on really hot days i wear a 1\2 with a shield but on wet and cold days i wear a ff or my modular but here in oz you gotta wear something,theres no choice about that here
    cheers mick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That was one of my favorites, too...only I'm so old that it was a $5 helmet in my day.
    Scotty, didn't they have the leather helmets back them.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well I'm surprised...
    We've actually had very few posters in here who are generally opposed to wearing a helmet...
    Where is all of that righteous indignation???
    I save my righteous indignation for the $500 helmet and flip flops, sportbike crowd. Apparently they aspire to be a perfectly good head in a jar, ala Futurama.....Oh yeah and for the gun posts!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Let's kick the hornet's nest some more...)

So how do we all feel about LOUD pipes??

Spyder Garage

Default Audiologists

Nine out of ten Audiologists and hearing aid salesmen approve of loud pipes. The other one was a Harley rider and when asked the question, kept saying "What?" and "Huh?" OK, I will admit that if the bike is loud enough to hear it when it is NEAR me (whether in the cage or on the tryke) that is sometimes useful, but that said, if I can hear it 1/4 mile off, that just MIGHT be overkill!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Brother had a Vulcan 800 with a set of DGs on it...
    As he used to climb the hill into Neversink, NY (FOUR miles away ), you could still hear it from my yard!