Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Cleaning

Ok, so it's time to give Big Blue a bath. I've noticed the sticker on the windshield that says certain cleaners can damage the surface. My question: Is regular old Windex ok? I've taken him on a few trips and he's sustained multiple barrages of heavy enemy fire (bugs). I don't want to use anything that could potentially damage the windshield. Suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs19 View Post
    Ok, so it's time to give Big Blue a bath. I've noticed the sticker on the windshield that says certain cleaners can damage the surface. My question: Is regular old Windex ok? I've taken him on a few trips and he's sustained multiple barrages of heavy enemy fire (bugs). I don't want to use anything that could potentially damage the windshield. Suggestions?
    Absolutely not! Never use anything with ammonia. If you need a cleaning solution from the grocery store, Windex Multi-Surface with vinegar is safe. The best cleaner is lots of water, so you don't scratch the windshield. Never use a dry cloth...even a microfiber cloth. A plastic cleaner/polish like Plexus is another good bet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Do it easily.............

I learned from others at Spyderfest 2012, to use Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray it on, the bugs foam up and dissolve, wipe it off. Easy and effective.

Spyder Garage

AWESOME! Thanks guys. Glad I asked, that could've been bad.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    I learned from others at Spyderfest 2012, to use Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray it on, the bugs foam up and dissolve, wipe it off. Easy and effective.
    So does this mean that we have some "Blonde "s among us???

On a serious note... interesting trick!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

when i removed the windshield last week for the first time only to remove that old gray piece of metal to place a new chrome bracket in its place i noticed that the windshield was scuffed kinda badly really shows up when resting against the chrome is there something i can do to remove the scuffs or do i get a new screen and pray it don't happen again?like i said this was the first time i took the screen off in over a yr.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    Yup but I mix it 50-50 with water. This is always in my garage and the bugs literally melt off (and not the paint). Wipe with a nice clean microfiber towel.
    ----
    USAF Retired (1986 - 2006)
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain
    Riding with Dignity, Honor and Respect

Spyder Garage

I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on all surfaces except seat, grips, pegs and tires. Also second the microfiber towels. I keep a can and some towels in both bikes.

John

Spyder Garage

A great question now that spring is almost upon us. I still have my spray bottle of Windex down in the garage. I am going to replace that with the HP and give it a try. I like the idea of bugs disolving. We don't get that a lot--but when the first spring warm days hit, the bugs seem to come out of nowhere.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield cleaner

What really works well for me is a 50/50 mix of Peak windshield cleaner and Rain-X bug remover. I have been using this for a year without any issues.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

Here's what I do. If the windshield--or any other body parts--are covered in bug splats, I use a clean rag soaks in hot water. I then just lay the hot rag over the old bugs to soften them up. They almost fall right off. The I only use Plexus on the windshield--works GREAT! I then use Lemon Pledge on the plastics for a perfect shine. All road dirt comes right off

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    Here's what I do. If the windshield--or any other body parts--are covered in bug splats, I use a clean rag soaks in hot water. I then just lay the hot rag over the old bugs to soften them up. They almost fall right off. The I only use Plexus on the windshield--works GREAT! I then use Lemon Pledge on the plastics for a perfect shine. All road dirt comes right off
    spydercowboy and I do almost the same ..... warm water and clean soft towel to get the "splats" off. Then we wipe the dust off with a couple of damp soft towels and finish with "kitchen wax" ... yes, kitchen wax. It is a cleaner, cuts grease, polishes, and stands up to heat. Johnson and Johnson quit making it several years ago ... but I've found one site that has a similar formulation (Vermont Country store, I think).
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes a wet towel draped over the shield to soften up the bugs works great, it was recommended by Clearview Shields for the windshield I put on my Vulcan.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    when i removed the windshield last week for the first time only to remove that old gray piece of metal to place a new chrome bracket in its place i noticed that the windshield was scuffed kinda badly really shows up when resting against the chrome is there something i can do to remove the scuffs or do i get a new screen and pray it don't happen again?like i said this was the first time i took the screen off in over a yr.
    New screen? It will only happen again. Same thing became very noticeable here when the chrome was added. There appear to be a couple of options. Spyder wraps coming up with some kind of vinyl cover or painting something on the shield to hide the water marks left after washing and/or the scuffs. jmy2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post
    What really works well for me is a 50/50 mix of Peak windshield cleaner and Rain-X bug remover. I have been using this for a year without any issues.
    +1 I use the same mix on my Spyder, cars, and helmets.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Warm water to remove bugs, plexis to finish. Wipe up and down to polish, this helps water shed quicker according to the manufacturer. Unless it says safe for motorcycle windshield never use any other cleaners and never...I repeat never use Rain-X, I did the research and it is made for glass.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    spydercowboy and I do almost the same ..... warm water and clean soft towel to get the "splats" off. Then we wipe the dust off with a couple of damp soft towels and finish with "kitchen wax" ... yes, kitchen wax. It is a cleaner, cuts grease, polishes, and stands up to heat. Johnson and Johnson quit making it several years ago ... but I've found one site that has a similar formulation (Vermont Country store, I think).
    Doesn't that leave an iridescent film on the shield that shows "rainbows", especially with polarized glasses. Waxes and oils that leave a thin film usually do.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use Honda gloss or Plexis to remove scratches from windshield and helmet visors

Spyder Garage

Go to Walmart and buy some chamois cloths. Warm water on a chamois is all you need. Then wipe dry with a nice clean chamois.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Default widsheild cleaner

I use amor-all glass cleaner or a mix of one cup rubbing alcohol,one cup of water, and a tablespoon of vinegar in a spray bottle. Both give streak free shines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    New screen? It will only happen again. Same thing became very noticeable here when the chrome was added. There appear to be a couple of options. Spyder wraps coming up with some kind of vinyl cover or painting something on the shield to hide the water marks left after washing and/or the scuffs. jmy2c
    jer, that very interesting to know that it will happen again if i buy a new one i know pete can make me my wrap to go on the screen but after i just spent all that money for chrome and then to have to cover it up would make me sad.i think i'll try some scratch remover stuff like mentioned above,then decide from there on what to do.also i noticed that there are rubber washers or inserts that the screws go in i wonder if adding a extra rubber washer will raise the windshield up just enough to prevent further scratches?.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

jer, that very interesting to know that it will happen again if i buy a new one i know pete can make me my wrap to go on the screen but after i just spent all that money for chrome and then to have to cover it up would make me sad.i think i'll try some scratch remover stuff like mentioned above,then decide from there on what to do.also i noticed that there are rubber washers or inserts that the screws go in i wonder if adding a extra rubber washer will raise the windshield up just enough to prevent further scratches?.
    I think the side of the new chrome piece that shows through the windshield is the raw side. It's the side that faces the driver, that really looks good! (that's jmo however) I would like something to cover the front. It's a PITA because of water spots. Not to mention the obvious and unavoidable scratches.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-15-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling - lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    I think the side of the new chrome piece that shows through the windshield is the raw side. It's the side that faces the driver, that really looks good! (that's jmo however) I would like something to cover the front. It's a PITA because of water spots. Not to mention the obvious and unavoidable scratches.
    nope its the bright shiny side the shows through.. the back side has a bunch of squares/ribs..haven't washed the bike since putting on this piece will see what happens,maybe i'll use air hose and blow water out of there.just seems weired that theres not alot of this happening as no one is responding that this has or is happening to them.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

nope its the bright shiny side the shows through.. the back side has a bunch of squares/ribs..haven't washed the bike since putting on this piece will see what happens,maybe i'll use air hose and blow water out of there.just seems weired that theres not alot of this happening as no one is responding that this has or is happening to them.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=WINSHIELD

Spyder Garage

i was refering to the scuffs/scratches.not the dirt and water marks