Spyder Garage

Default Got another award at Deals Gap

Well I got a wild hair mid afternoon to take a run to a new Spyder dealer near Knoxville and after looking around the place I noticed on the GPS that I was only about 50 miles or so from Deals Gap so I decided to take a run out there. I have a new hitch on the Spyder and I really wanted to see how towing a trailer on some hard twisties might effect the VSS.

Now that I have the Micron pipe on the Spyder really pulls hard and sounds like a GP race bike. I came in from the lake side heading south toward the lookout and then the store. The Spyder was doing fine at normal speeds so I decided to push it a little harder. The more I pushed it the better it did. I was now running at the speeds without the trailer where the VSS would kick in and slow me down. The trailer seemed to give me just a little more freedom to really get into the turns without being unsafe. I did manage to get the VSS to kick in about four times but that was way less than normal.

I was really in my grove and was leaning in the turns like I was racing a fourwheeler. That pipe was talking to me and everything felt right. As I came to the last turn before the lookout I was trying to decide if I should stop or not because I was feeling so good I just wanted to keep going. I rounded the turn like I was ready to smoke on by and what did I see but a whole group of riders and three cops giving me the look. I decided in a split second to pull in behind the cops and act like nothing was going on.

Before I got my helmet off I had about six riders and three cops hitting me up. The first cop asked if I knew how fast I was going and I told him not really. He then asked if I had been here before and if I knew what the speed limit was and I said yes and I think it's 35mph. The other cop said that's right but his partner corrected him and said it was 30mph. The next question was license, registration and insurance.

One of the bikers there said I scared the he77 out of those cops when I came around the turn. I had anoth guy tell me the same thing when I was at the store. Not sure why other than that pipe may have made it sound like I was going faster than I was and when I pulled in and stopped towing a trailer they may have thought I wasn't going to stop in time. :

Long story short they gave me a ticket for having a FL tag when I lived in TN. I tried to explain that was the FL dealers call when I picked up the Spyder and that they gave me a line that the only way they could sell me the Spyder is if I used their address and then after six months I could transfer it over to TN. I guess they lied to me so now I have to deal with that. No big deal. Iwas going to fight a speeding ticket if they gave me that seeing there was no way for them to know how fast I was going.

All in all it was a great ride and I have a new story to tell again. I do have to say that Deals Gap it not the same anymore. :

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Got another award at Deals Gap

Great story! Glad the Spyder handled well and you are hapy with the Micron pipe. As to changes over time to Deals Gap, I agree completely. I rode the Gap for the first time probably 25 years ago on my beemer. The "Tail of the Dragon" name had never been thought of. Almost no traffic at all. You could hammer it as fast as you dared to and I never saw a cop all day long. As they say, "Times change", but is it really progress?

Jack H.

Way2Fast

Default Re: Got another award at Deals Gap

Didn't I tell you that the line your dealer gave you about having to register the Spyder in FL was pure BS ?
    (see my PM to you)

Richard