Spyder Garage

Default Broken key in ignition...

Well, it started off as a good morning. Temp around 28 to be followed by sun and warming up to 40. Got all dressed up with my heated gear, hopped aboard the ol"Spydee, and stuck the key in the ignition. First thought was that didn't feel right. I took the key out thinking maybe water caused ice to form inside. I stuck it back in to see if I could dislodge the sticking pins in the lock. It must have worked as the key went in, so I turned the key to the start position only to find out the key had snapped. So now I have part of the key in the lock and the rest with me. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so what was the solution? I figure the answer is to bring it to the dealer and suck up the cost of new keys and the ignition switch. I'm sure a broken key is considered abuse so I'm prepping for the worst. I didn't use force turning the key since it wouldn't even go fully in the lock at first.

Or, should I just leave the broken part in the ignition (you can't see it) and use the top section of the key to turn the ignition switch to ride?

Think I'm going to get an IPS while at Spyderfest and leave the key in to avoid this again.
    KS

Spyder Garage

Default Call or take it to a locksmith

Call or take it to a locksmith they can take it out for you with no damage. And if they do transponders they can make you another one with a keyring hole in it.

Its a JMA key blank TP05ZA9P (Must modify transponder holder to let transponder fall lower into the shell)
    OEM Transponder = Temic 12

Michael
    I am a locksmith by day or night (I just charge more at night

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by l0ckman View Post
    Call or take it to a locksmith they can take it out for you with no damage. And if they do transponders they can make you another one with a keyring hole in it.

Its a JMA key blank TP05ZA9P (Must modify transponder holder to let transponder fall lower into the shell)
    OEM Transponder = Temic 12

Michael
    I am a locksmith by day or night (I just charge more at night
    Dont forget to have your other key with you so if they have to reprogram one they can reprogram both at the same time.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck; please let us know what it takes for you to be able to put the spare key away!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Heck of a way to start the day At least, it is a not to difficult thing to get fixed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default it's locksmith time...

I guess the good news is that it sounds like AAA will help me out. I have my spare key in my pocket!
    KS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try to fish it out the broken piece with a powerful magnet. Good luck
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Try to fish it out the broken piece with a powerful magnet. Good luck
    Brass key is not magnetic. Unless you have that special locksmith magnet Locksmith joke, yes the key is brass, if it was steel it would not have broke, just rust in the lock and mess things up that way.

Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Spyder View Post
    I guess the good news is that it sounds like AAA will help me out. I have my spare key in my pocket!
    I kind of prefer "A.A"... They always know where the best parties are!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you can turn the lock with the top part of the key (or any other way), you can start the Spyder as long as the part of the key with the chip is very close to the lock. Once the spyder is started you can put the chip in your pocket. The chip is necessary to start the spyder but not for it to run. I might be tempted to have a key made and just fasten the chip part of the old key to the new key and use it that way. But I'm kinda cheap.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default not so fast...

Oh boy, the locksmith came out and after 3 hours was unsuccessful at extracting the 3/8 piece of key stuck in there. It appears the pins that come out inside the lock and jammed into the narrowist part of the key. And since the brake is on I can't push the bike into the garage for disassembly so I can pull the ignition. A new ignition is 199 and supposedly I also have to get a new DESS module. My plan is to pull the ignition and try and remove the key bit another way. If all fails, I get to spend about 350 for parts.

The only good news is that I can change the headlight bulbs and install my heated gear controllers. And the experience disassembling the bodywork will make me more confident in maintaining the Spyder. Of course, copious amounts of beer and swearing may also be needed.

As we say here in Kansas - this ain't no John Deere!
    KS

Spyder Garage

Default Glue..!!

A touch of super glue on the tip of the key may hold enough to get the broken part out of the switch. Just a thought...hope you get resolved with out major expense...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I surrendered...

I finally gave up and had AAA towed to my dealer. They thought they could get it out as they have seen this before. Just my luck it seems like the pins in the ignition cylinder are jammed out. End result is a major body disassembly to replace the entire lock cylinder. The parts are on order and the total cost is about 675 including labor.

Thanks for all the ideas on how to get the key out. I am sure I could have gotten it out if the ignition switch had not broken.
    KS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you took a big hit on this one...
    But at least the solution is available... Let us know when you get it back and you're all keyed up and ready for a ride!