Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP First Year Issues

I have been a BRP junkie for 20 years. Bought the first model year Sea Doo (1988) with a 580cc Rotax engine. Still running 20 years later. Bought the first model year Sea Doo Speedster with twin 650cc Rotax engines. Ten years and no engine problems. Both first year products were groundbreaking in design and had problems that were corrected through recall and subsequent design changes, but the engines were bullet proof. I always wondered if BRP would take to the road and when I saw the Spyder, I had to have one as it represents another groundbreaking design by BRP around a Rotax engine. From reading the posts, it looks like there are the usual first year design issues. I have been down that road before with the dealer and BRP, so I expect to go through some of the same trials again. Let the games begin, hopefully in about three weeks if the dealer is right.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: BRP First Year Issues

Being the first kid on the block comes with some issues for sure. Well worth it to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BRP eventually fixed all defects in first year designs of other products, and they will do the same with Spyder. Two year warranty is a big plus. The problem is that the redesign and manufacture of fixes takes time and dealers knowledge of new products takes time as well. Backlog for redesigned parts will be like backrests, months. As we see through these posts, owners know more about Spyder than dealers as we are only focused on one item and dealers are selling dozens of products.

I ordered tour windshield and from the views here, that looks like a waste of money. Is it really less effective than the stock windshield or is it partly a function of rider height and riding style? Hate to drop another $200 for an overpriced option since I'm already facing $650 for the luggage rack/backrest combo.

Spyder Garage

I like the look of the touring shield and it covers my GPS but the wind protection is no better as far as I can tell but that's not a big deal to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. Ridden cruisers for years and spent $$$$ on chrome and other things to make the bike look better with no effect on comfort. I think that tour shield looks better too, so what's a couple hundred bucks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting about your previous dealings with BRP---- maybe this will quiet some of the whiners who expected perfection from day one! ;D

I got the touring shield and think it looks much better.... like it belongs. The short stock shield just doesn't look right to me.

As far as keeping the wind off of you.... neither does much .. but then again this is an open-wind experience product! I've seen some of the after-market taller shields.. but none that look like they belong. I would wait to see if BRP comes out with a taller shield if you really want one. If someone could take the BRP touring shield and curve the top outwards they might be able to get what we want.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Based on BRP history, once they define a market segment, watch out. When the Sea Doo came out in 1988, most people thought, who would want to sit down on a Jet Ski. Even Kawasaki as the lone market player laughed. Not only did BRP define a new market segment, but over the next ten years took over the market with a whole range of watercraft setting the bar for design and performance. Same with the first jet boats. Most boat companies laughed at the idea of a jet boat competing with prop drive. After a few years of small jet boats, BRP went big and now has a full range of boats that set standards for design and performance. While I think the Spyder is a pretty impressive design, I'm more excited about what BRP may have waiting in the wings for the future. If they once again have defined a new market segment and push new designs and concepts, we will look back at the 2008 Spyders as a nice first try.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Im one of the guys who took the touring windshield and made a lip on the top..thinking it would help with the wind almost blowing my helmet off.

It didn't work..the touring windshield with the lip is just as useless as without it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie
    Based on BRP history, once they define a market segment, watch out. When the Sea Doo came out in 1988, most people thought, who would want to sit down on a Jet Ski. Even Kawasaki as the lone market player laughed. Not only did BRP define a new market segment, but over the next ten years took over the market with a whole range of watercraft setting the bar for design and performance. Same with the first jet boats. Most boat companies laughed at the idea of a jet boat competing with prop drive. After a few years of small jet boats, BRP went big and now has a full range of boats that set standards for design and performance. While I think the Spyder is a pretty impressive design, I'm more excited about what BRP may have waiting in the wings for the future. If they once again have defined a new market segment and push new designs and concepts, we will look back at the 2008 Spyders as a nice first try.
    Yeah, BRPjunkie, a nice first try and a valuable antique many years from now! :bigthumbsup:

Frank

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderryder798
    Im one of the guys who took the touring windshield and made a lip on the top..thinking it would help with the wind almost blowing my helmet off.
    It didn't work..the touring windshield with the lip is just as useless as without it.
    Strange, I changed the touring and standard often and still think the standard does a better job.
    Therefor I was certain a touring shield wit a flip would be perfect...
    Thanks for sharing so we don't have to try it...

Way2Fast

Sea-doo was not the first to sucesssfully enter the new sit down PWC market. Kawasaki (1986 X-2) and Yamaha (1987 Wave runner) beat them to the punch.
    From 1968-70 Bombardier made their first Sea-doos, then they discontinued production until 1988 when the SP (1989 model) was introduced. Kawasaki made the first standups in 1977 using the JetSki name. In 1985 the Wet Jet was introduced. Yamaha first Wave Runner came out in 1987. So while SD may have been the early pioneer in PWC, they quit making them and when they returned to the market their sit down models faced existing competition from other manufacturers.

Yamaha also builds jet boats. I believe they have a more extensive selection than does BRP.

Judging from Bombardier's (now BRP) history with PWC, it often took several years before they worked the bugs out of them. Even the newer offerings have had numerous problems. They have problems with hulls delaminating, engines injesting water, supercharger clutches failing, hoses blowing off, etc. Their first Rotax powered SC 4-tec came out in 2003. Now finally for 2008 they redesigned the clutch to make it less prone to failure...bout time !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Kaw X-2 was allegedly a two person craft, but would only hold two under power. When stopped it would not and its sales sank almost as fast as it did with two on board. The Yam Waverunner was underpowered and bow hunted with two adults on it. My 1988 Sea Doo is a titled as a 1988 model 5801, not a 1989 model.

I picked my user name as "BRPjunkie" since I obviously find them to be my recreational drugs of choice. That does not make it the right choice for addict. As with any drug, your dealer makes a difference and mine has been very helpful through some of the tough times.

I would love to be able to talk more about the new BRP drug Spyder, but I am still waiting for the call. Until then I can only get high vicariously through the descriptions the of current users.

My only reason for talking about BRP history is that in creating new products for new market segments, their first year owners are the real testing ground for the product and subsequent models and owners benefit from those results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Thanks for posting about your previous dealings with BRP---- maybe this will quiet some of the whiners who expected perfection from day one! ;D

I got the touring shield and think it looks much better.... like it belongs. The short stock shield just doesn't look right to me.

As far as keeping the wind off of you.... neither does much .. but then again this is an open-wind experience product! I've seen some of the after-market taller shields.. but none that look like they belong. I would wait to see if BRP comes out with a taller shield if you really want one. If someone could take the BRP touring shield and curve the top outwards they might be able to get what we want.
    Back to the windshield....my short shield stress cracked at the attachment areas after driving (maybe much too) fast under (very) windy conditions. Hope that BRP will warranty it and now I am glad I have an extra shield (touring) even though it gives no more protection.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead
    Back to the windshield....my short shield stress cracked at the attachment areas after driving (maybe much too) fast under (very) windy conditions. Hope that BRP will warranty it and now I am glad I have an extra shield (touring) even though it gives no more protection.
    Stress cracks in shields are usually caused by either overtightening the screws, or begine when the holes are drilled. Gustaffson will not drill them, partly for that reason. He supplies you the drill bit, so the quality of the hole and the location are your worry. Even a small, un-noticeable crack will eventually spread. As I said, there are special acrylic bits to east drilling, but every manufacturer still has a few rejects. As to the tightening, easy to do during machine assembly. Every machine adjustment drifts in time.

Hope you get everything resolved by your dealer and BRP. Let us know how it comes out.

-Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Way2Fast

The Kaw X-2 was allegedly a two person craft, but would only hold two under power. When stopped it would not and its sales sank almost as fast as it did with two on board. The Yam Waverunner was underpowered and bow hunted with two adults on it. My 1988 Sea Doo is a titled as a 1988 model 5801, not a 1989 model.

I picked my user name as "BRPjunkie" since I obviously find them to be my recreational drugs of choice. That does not make it the right choice for addict. As with any drug, your dealer makes a difference and mine has been very helpful through some of the tough times.

I would love to be able to talk more about the new BRP drug Spyder, but I am still waiting for the call. Until then I can only get high vicariously through the descriptions the of current users.

My only reason for talking about BRP history is that in creating new products for new market segments, their first year owners are the real testing ground for the product and subsequent models and owners benefit from those results.
    I had a 1986 X-2 and can remember how the GF and I had to be dragged behind it when in idle zones. It was a great craft for one up wave jumping though. They still make them today, but I believe only for use in Japan.
    The first Wave Runner was underpowered, but then again SD's SP was no speedster either. Since the '88 SD's came out mid year, I assumed they were an '89 model.

Richard