Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

While we are talking about the fuel gauge, I got a question to ask everybody. I have a 2012 RTS and the gas gauge on my bike once it goes below full the needle is always jumping all over the place when I either accelerate or brake kind of hard. Is this common with all Spyders? I have had other fuel gauges on other bikes I have owned and they just didn't move all over the place when the fuel sloshed in the gas tank like the Spyder does. Just seems to be a very cheap performance fuel gauge to me, or maybe something is wrong with mine.

Spyder Garage

This is a good APP u can see a lot of info on it from Avg cost to yearly cost and a lot more.It is free and is called Mileage. The icon is yellow with a black gas pump on it. i know i get from 21 to 29.8 3.8 to 5.4 gal
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    While we are talking about the fuel gauge, I got a question to ask everybody. I have a 2012 RTS and the gas gauge on my bike once it goes below full the needle is always jumping all over the place when I either accelerate or brake kind of hard. Is this common with all Spyders? I have had other fuel gauges on other bikes I have owned and they just didn't move all over the place when the fuel sloshed in the gas tank like the Spyder does. Just seems to be a very cheap performance fuel gauge to me, or maybe something is wrong with mine.
    Two fixes. Have your dealer do BRP's latest fix, which includes a software update and gauge replacement(it is a fix that works). Or, you can disconnect both the fuel and temp gauge so they read out on the main display. Do a few searches and you'll find lots of conversation on the subject.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

With all the talk about fuel mileage, my question is how much of the nozzle do you put in the tank for fueling? If I put the nozzle in up to the vapor catch it takes forever so I have gotten into the habit of only inserting the nozzle about an inch my current mileage is 27 MPG. BTW (new Spyder owner with 800 miles WOW) I use aCar on my Android Phone for logging refueling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    With all the talk about fuel mileage, my question is how much of the nozzle do you put in the tank for fueling? If I put the nozzle in up to the vapor catch it takes forever so I have gotten into the habit of only inserting the nozzle about an inch my current mileage is 27 MPG. BTW (new Spyder owner with 800 miles WOW) I use aCar on my Android Phone for logging refueling.
    I insert the nozzle just below the "no-lead" ring. I fill slowly, just until the fuel starts to spurt out the baffle vent slots. If you go faster or farther, you risk pushing fuel into teh emissions canister. That fuel is lost, and will hurt your mileage.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Yeah the fuel economy is not the best, but the ryding and smiles make up for that. I get about 220 kms per tank, mix of city and hiway. Follow the suggestion provided on this forum and you can't go wrong.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Mileage/ Fuel Tank Size

Good evening folks,

In looking at this thread, I came to wonder, what octane do you use in your trike.

In Canada we go as low as 87 octane, I also think that our gas contains Ethanol.

Any recommendation, I noticed some hesitation, ( Little hesitation )

Dom

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I insert the nozzle just below the "no-lead" ring. I fill slowly, just until the fuel starts to spurt out the baffle vent slots. If you go faster or farther, you risk pushing fuel into the emissions canister. That fuel is lost, and will hurt your mileage.
    Scotty, Great tip on the "over filling". I have to admit that I have done that on occasion & did not realize that is where the "Spillage" went. I don't think I will ever get 25 litres (6.6 US Gal) into my Spyder! Typically when I am rYding in the US the light is on around 150 miles and I put in just over 4 gallons. In Canada it is generally about 250 km and around 17 litres. If it actually DID hold 25 litres, I'd be able to travel 350 km (220 miles). I ran it to empty once with a 1 litre can of fuel in the frunk. When I filled it up I needed 21 litres so I would say it is pretty close to 22 litres capacity (5.8 gal, US)

Spyder Garage

Smile HD Road King gauge is worse--

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    That's the only way I've ever ridden any of my bikes. Most of them didn't even have a gas gauge.
    My 07 Honda shadow with 3.7 gal tank gets right at 150 miles when I have to switch to the reserve last half gallon and this is what I usually do on normal commutes. My O7 Road King however has an analog gauge on the left side of the 5 gallon tank that shows Full for the first 80 miles before ever moving and is the only bike in the last 20 years I have run dry as when the fuel light appears dimly on the instrument lightbar, you better be within 10 miles of a gas pump or you're walkin. Much less useful than the Spyder digital gauge on the wifes 2011 RT which gives you at least 30 miles to find a gas station when the light goes on (and you still have 1/2 gal in the tank when you fill up).

Odometer is the way to go, and I have never run out before 140 miles on the Shadow, 140 miles on the Spyder, or 180 miles on the RK.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss