Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Mileage/ Fuel Tank Size

2012 Rt-S

Is the fuel tank 25 Litres ??

Today I went 175KM and the fuel tank showed low fuel by the warning fuel light and fuel gauge. To me this bike should go much further than 175KM on one fuel tank. However when I filled up the tank it only took 18 Litres of fuel. I'm thinking I still had about 7 litres of fuel in the tank if the tank is 25 litres. How can this be if the fuel light is on and fuel gauage showing almost empty??

Appreciate your feed back.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but I wasn't taught liter to miles conversion when I was growing up and going to school. Can you help me?

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Sorry, but I wasn't taught liter to miles conversion when I was growing up and going to school. Can you help me?

Chris
    Fuel tank 25 Litres = 6.60 US Gallon
    175 KM =Approximate 108 Miles

Spyder Garage

To start You are never going to get 25 liters in no matter what the manual says. The most I can ever remember putting in mine was 22 liters. From full to light coming on I get about 230 kms. most of the time. But I can get as low as 180 and as high as 280 kms. Driving in cold conditions the gas mileage drops like a stone. If I am driving in cold and the temperature gauge rarely goes above 2 bars I can't get more then 180 kms out of a tank.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Early gas guage warning

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    2012 Rt-S

Today I went 175KM and the fuel tank showed low fuel by the warning fuel light and fuel gauge. To me this bike should go much further than 175KM on one fuel tank. However when I filled up the tank it only took 18 Litres of fuel. I'm thinking I still had about 7 litres of fuel in the tank if the tank is 25 litres. How can this be if the fuel light is on and fuel gauage showing almost empty??

Thanks
    Sounds like your warning light is coming on too soon. I think you should be able to go about 240KM before warning light, which is about 12km per litre. At that point you should have only about 4 litres left in the tank. If your tank was full when you started you went 175KM on 18 litres, or 9.73KM per litre. That sounds low, but if that is the case -you will only safely get about 225km before you need to fill up. You could get both the light and guage checked but at least you know when to refuel.

When all is said and done......well it must be time to ride~
    2 Stricklands, Steve & Barb
    2011 RT AC, SE5
    Trailer for Travel and/or Golf Clubs
    Power outlet up Front
    Floorboards
    Voltmeter replacing old gas gauge
    Oil Pressure gauge replacing old temp gauge
    Turn Signals on mirrors

]

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    To start You are never going to get 25 liters in no matter what the manual says. The most I can ever remember putting in mine was 22 liters. From full to light coming on I get about 230 kms. most of the time. But I can get as low as 180 and as high as 280 kms. Driving in cold conditions the gas mileage drops like a stone. If I am driving in cold and the temperature gauge rarely goes above 2 bars I can't get more then 180 kms out of a tank.
    there are allot of variables. How many mile on the bike..? If braking in it will get better...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

First, the Spyder tank has a stated capacity of 25 liters (6.6 gallons), but part of that is necessary venting and head space, so the actual fuel capacity is only about 22 liters (6.0 gallons). The low fuel light comes on with about 5 liters (1.4 gallons) left in the tank for most Spyders. A typical Spyder should see about 200-225 km (125-140 mi) before the light comes on. Please note that fuel consumption can vary widely, so you could easily see 20% more or less...or even a vastly different number under certain conditions.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-10-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mileage/fuel light

My new RT turns on the low fuel light on when there is a little over 3 gal (11-12 liters, I think) left in the the tank. The gauge reads empty at that point as well (???)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

2012 Rt-S

Thanks
    I have the same bike. I used to fill up by the gauge. Now I fill up by the low fuel light, when I am in the city. 180 km is the lowest I have ever done on a tank, mostly city driving. I can get 280 to 300 km on the highway. Combined driving the normal is about 240 km. I have never put 25 litres in a tank. 18 to 22 L is average for a fill up.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by arachnophyle View Post
    My new RT turns on the low fuel light on when there is a little over 3 gal (11-12 liters, I think) left in the the tank. The gauge reads empty at that point as well (???)
    Let your dealer know about it. In fact. Try to get it in to them with just enough fuel in it so they can verify your claim. From there it'll be an easy fix. They'll probably have to order the right parts tho.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Are you assuming this from the amount you put in? That can be very deceiving, depending on how far you insert the nozzle, the type of nozzle, and how fast you fill. For best results insert the nozzle barely into the baffle ring, and fill slowly by hand. Quit when fuel just begins to spurt out of the vent slots.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I think I'm gonna do what someone suggested in another thread. I'm gonna carry a spare can of gas and run my spyder till it's empty. That way I can get an idea of just where on the needle it really does mean it's empty.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I think I'm gonna do what someone suggested in another thread. I'm gonna carry a spare can of gas and run my spyder till it's empty. That way I can get an idea of just where on the needle it really does mean it's empty.

Chris
    I don't know if it is just the newness of my gauge but the first tank the needle was below the E and it took 4 gallons to fill up, the second tank it was above the E and it took 4 gallons to fill up. I know that no vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years had a flaky gas gauge like that. The third fill up seemed to be close to the second. I'd carry the gas and watch the odometer and see if the needle is consistent, then let it run out to see what that is on the gauge.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    Most of us ride by the trip odometer...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    John,
    Most of us ride by the trip odometer...
    Yep! the odometer is the best way. On the average I gas up at 140 or so. Sometimes 150, I very seldom get over 5 gal. in the tank. this would be at least a 180 mile range at 30 mpg. (counting 6 gal. not 6.6). At 33 mpg it would be 198 miles to empty. If anyone has a gas gage that doesn't bounce or the low fuel light that doesn't come on at 120 it would be the exception I think. Part of the learning curve with the spyder is learning to ignore the low fuel light. I have purchased a good ATV gas can and am going to do a road test a few times running to empty and see if it would get 200 miles on a tank just in an emergency situation and get more piece of mind.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I go by the odometer too. I'm looking for a station at 100 miles. I'm not getting near the gas mileage that I got on my 2010 RT-S manual. That's why I think I want to find out just how much really is left in the tank when it gets "down there". I may be looking for gas too soon. I just don't know.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Fuel

2012 Rt-S

Thanks
    All of you scare me with the gas light coming on. I fill up every 100 miles or so. Gas light comes on in Texas it's to late. I wish it got better gas mpg, but it is what it is. Love everything else about it

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I go by the odometer too. I'm looking for a station at 100 miles. I'm not getting near the gas mileage that I got on my 2010 RT-S manual. That's why I think I want to find out just how much really is left in the tank when it gets "down there". I may be looking for gas too soon. I just don't know.

Chris
    If you fill the tank as per BRP's instructions, From completely empty you'll be putting in only 5 to 5 1/2 gals.
    I was one of the lucky ones with my 08 Sm5, I would nurse in every last drop of gas in and not have a problem with the canister filling with gas, That said i ran 193 miles to dry, and squeezed in 5.9 gallons.

Spyder Garage

I have disconnected the analog guages and use the digital ones now, more accurate reading, now what to do with the analog gauges and the holes they are in?????
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have disconnected the analog guages and use the digital ones now, more accurate reading, now what to do with the analog gauges and the holes they are in?????
    You could add volt and oil pressure.

The digital gauge kicks the low fuel light on with about a gallon left in the tank. My wife's RT still has the analog gauges and her light will come on about 15-25 miles sooner than mine does when we are riding together.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    That's the only way I've ever ridden any of my bikes. Most of them didn't even have a gas gauge.
    Most bikes don't....at least not the vintage stuff I am used to. They did have reserve tanks, however, which the modern bikes do not. The gauges are then a necessity of sorts. That being said, I go mostly by the miles, with an eye on the gauge. It doesn't matter what it says when you are low, as long as you know where that spot is...and what you have left as a cushion from that point. Just one more thing...a rider doesn't have to run it all the way down. 100-120 miles is plenty before I need to stretch, rehydrate, and get my blood moving. My marathon riding days are over. JMHO
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You.r statement lacks a lot of information that would greatly impact many respondents.

my RTL at less then 1,000 miles was showing EMPTY and would take 4 gallons to fill in 120 miles. Which is 30 MPG by my math. Now at 3,600 miles with a combination of rural and city is taking 3.6 gallon in 130 to 140 miles. When ever the gas pump icon lights up I can always figure that it will take 4.0 to 5.9 gallons. The most I have ever poured in the tank has been 6.0 gallons.

One thing that I have discovered to increase fuel economy is to elevate the gear to tach readings to the range of 4,000/5,000 for cruising and shifting. That will make you nuts for a whileuntilyou get used to having that Rotax engine spinning so high. But personally it was easy for me because my rig hits a sweet spot around 4,350 RPMs and it just hums there.

hope this gives youa point or two I know when I asked the same questions I was glad for the support everyone gave me. Don't be afraid to keep detailed notes on your RPMS mileage 1 or 2 up city to rural.

Enjoy your toy......

latest fill up 129 miles took 4.1 gallons of Hess 93 octane gas gauge was bouncing around in the red an thr fuel pump icon was alternating between warning and no warning.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 03-15-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Update

Spyder Garage

Just my rambling but in today's technology the frigging gas gauge should just work. If it don't work properly make them fix it... I have 6 vehicles and 5 have perfect gas gauges, what is wrong with this picture? Heck my gas gauge in my 1956 VW Beetle was as accurate as could be and I only used reserve once...

John

Spyder Garage

Cool RPM's

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    You.r statement lacks a lot of information that would greatly impact many respondents.

my RTL at less then 1,000 miles was showing EMPTY and would take 4 gallons to fill in 120 miles. Which is 30 MPG by my math. Now at 3,600 miles with a combination of rural and city is taking 3.6 gallon in 130 to 140 miles. When ever the gas pump icon lights up I can always figure that it will take 4.0 to 5.9 gallons. The most I have ever poured in the tank has been 6.0 gallons.

One thing that I have discovered to increase fuel economy is to elevate the gear to tach readings to the range of 4,000/5,000 for cruising and shifting. That will make you nuts for a whileuntilyou get used to having that Rotax engine spinning so high. But personally it was easy for me because my rig hits a sweet spot around 4,350 RPMs and it just hums there.

hope this gives youa point or two I know when I asked the same questions I was glad for the support everyone gave me. Don't be afraid to keep detailed notes on your RPMS mileage 1 or 2 up city to rural.

Enjoy your toy......
    I noticed the same thing with the RPM,s and you can feel the performance better through the seat of your pants.

Spyder Garage

Default Analog verses digital.

I have read everything on these gauges and how to get to digital. Well I finally got the nerve to get into the dash and unplug the analog gauges..... It works and I like it. Don't have to look all over the dash for info. It's all in front of you.