Thread: Zumo 450 mount

Spyder Garage

Default Zumo 450 mount

I have my Zumo 450 mounted for now and I'll try this location out for a while. I have not wired up the GPS as I'm waiting for by powerbus to come in from Evoluzion. The unit came with some basic RAM mounting hardware and they recommended the left handlebar as the controls on the Zumo are set up for left handed operation. I wanted to try to make it work there and this is what I came up with. I modified the RAM ball bracket to replace the top of the clutch handle clamp.

It seems to work well as far as holding the clutch handle in position.

With the Zumo mounted there, I still have very easy access to the reverse lever without having to contort my arm or hand.

It seems to be a good place for the install right now but I still haven't road tested it. My only complaint is that the screen gets really washed out in the sunlight but I'm not sure I can do anything about that unless I mount it on the windshield like lamonster's. My concern about the windshield mount is that the Zumo screen isn't very large and that is about 12 inches farther back than the handlebar mount.

Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Zumo 450 mount

I mounted mine here and painted the back of the shield black and it made it very easy to see in the sunlight.

Spyder Garage

Nice Job. :bigthumbsup: I think your are the first person I have seen to mount the GPS of the left instead of the right. Good Pics. Ryde Safe and Enjoy.
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    I mounted mine here and painted the back of the shield black and it made it very easy to see in the sunlight.

Any extra hardware required for this position, if so, what materials.
    I am going to use the zumo 550 soon.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

My 450 came with a generic RAM mount like this one. There is a rectangular notch in the bottom of it that I rounded to approximately 7/8" diameter using a Dremel tool and the Spyder clutch clamp top as a pattern. I didn't take too much material off, just enough to give it more contact with the handlebar and have it fit a little closer to the bottom half of the clutch clamp. Then I filed about 1/8" to 3/16" off the top side of the slotted mounting holes so the stock screws of the clutch clamp would work. I didn't take anymore off the top or bottom than that as I didn't want to weaken that piece too much. I don't want to be on the road and grab for the clutch and have it fall off in my hand.

I am going to try to find those same screws about 1/4" longer to get more threads in the bottom half of the clutch mount but I have full confidence that what I have will be good for the next day or two. If this whole explanation is a little confusing, when I get home tonight I'll pop off the RAM piece and take a few photos of it to show what I did.

Spyder Garage

Here are some photos of how I removed some of the material from the RAM mount.

This is a amateur photoshop representation of the way it was originally.

And here are a few of the way it is now.

top view

bottom view

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster
    Any extra hardware required for this position, if so, what materials.
    I am going to use the zumo 550 soon.
    Thanks
    Is the Way 600c a better unit that the Zumo 550?
    Not real familiar with this unit?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster
    Is the Way 600c a better unit that the Zumo 550?
    Not real familiar with this unit?
    They are both good units. Both are waterproof and therefore suitable for motorcycle use. The Lowrance iWay 600 is not as expensive as the Zumo, but is not bluetooth capable, as is the Zumo. Also, I am not sure about Lowrance product support. It may be fine - I just don't know, as I have always had Garmins, and Garmin technical support has been second to none.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director
    They are both good units. Both are waterproof and therefore suitable for motorcycle use. The Lowrance iWay 600 is not as expensive as the Zumo, but is not bluetooth capable, as is the Zumo. Also, I am not sure about Lowrance product support. It may be fine - I just don't know, as I have always had Garmins, and Garmin technical support has been second to none.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce

Spyder Garage

UPDATE*******

I have hooked up the power for the Zumo 450 through the Evoluzion powerbus and it is working great. The handlebar mount is working fine.