Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Wifey expressed interest

Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Would like to get your prespective and impressions of the Spyder. My wife would like to go riding with us (my buddy and I ride the Aprilia Mana) and we thought that either the Spyder RT or ST may be a good fit for her. The less shifting for her, the better it would be and of course the safety of having three wheels for better balance than say a Vespa (which she currently rides) is an added benefit. She's already taken the MSF course and has her M1 certification. So let me hear if you think this is a path we should explore.

Sincerely,

xpartan

Spyder Garage

Absolutely!! Just be careful though, you could be bitten by the too
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

That's the route a lot of us have taken...riding the Spyder without previous motorcycle experience. (Probably makes it easier to adjust to the difference between riding 2 wheels and 3 wheels if you don't have to unlearn the 2 wheel lessons)! She'd probably prefer the ST or RT, although some of the women are on the RS or RSS. Best way to figure out which would be her preference would be to go to a local dealer while they are offering demo rides. If demo rides weren't being offered, just sitting on the different bikes would at least allow her to see what position she prefers since each of the models is different. I personally wanted the SE5 so I wouldn't have to worry about shifting manually; I love it.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Default Good choice..!!

I would venture to say that outside the scooter world the spyders have the most female ryders out there. They are currently having test rides all over the place and once she tests one that will be it...pay attention to what otter said..you may be bitten soon after...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You should test drive both flavors of the ,s you are interested in. The new ST is the mid-ground between the RS (sport) version and the RT (touring) version. Currently, I recommend the RT because of all its comforts. I have not had an opportunity to test drive a ST, so cannot give you further information on that.

Price wise, the ST can be as much or more than some of the RT options--depending on which model you like.

Get an SE5 transmission though--that takes care of the "I can't shift this thing" argument.

akspyderlady loves her 2011 RT A & C and put 5000 miles on it from mid July through September of 2012. IMO: Not bad for two and a half months.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my past riding lives I had a Burgman maxi-scooter. I really liked the sitting position of scooters, and so, when I decided to go for 3 wheels, I prefered the RT. I like the position and having the storage. But if I was starting now, I'd consider an ST and a trailer. I haven't tried the ST yet, but hope to soon.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

I'm going to make an assumption that if she likes her Vespa, she may prefer the ST to the RT because the RT may feel too bulky to her. The ST is sporty and still comfortable. But the very best thing as others have suggested, is to test drive. Who knows? She may end up liking the RT feel. Either choice would be great and I'll bet she loves it.

p.s. I was a non-rider before I got my Spyder and took to it like a fish to water. If her motorcycle experience is relatively minimal, she'll probably feel comfortable the Spyder more quickly than if she has lots of 2-wheel experience to "unlearn".

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) LindaG's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I did this

We purchased an RT 2012 last Aug. and started riding with a group out of SanAntonio. Lets just say sharing did not work. Two weeks ago we purchased an RS-S SE5 2010 for me. We have friends that have his and hers RT's., but we went a cheaper route. She likes the Rt because it is easier to reach the controls. And that is true, I have no problem driving the RT. My RS-S has the 4 1/2 inch risers that make it easier to drive. I tired a manual shift and could not reach the clutch handle, but the SE-5 is great. After the first ride my husband installed mirror extentions, which worked very well, before all I could see were my hands. If possible let her try several bikes to find out what works for her, we all have different needs.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i concur with all previous posts. let her take a test drive on both the st and rt. at the very least, let her sit on them and get a feel for them. i had no previous motorcycle experience and have wanted a bike for several years. i had a mini-stroke in april 2012. i thought my desire to ride was over because i no longer trusted myself to hold a bike up. the spyder changed my life. i bought a used 2008 gs in july 2012. not knowing how i'd take to ryding i didnt want to spend alot of money on a new one. i was addicted after my first ryde. two months later i put my leg over a 2012 rt se5 a&c and instantly fell in love. sold the 2008, bought the 2012 and it was the best thing i've ever done for myself. initially i missed the manual, but quickly realized thats since i live in a rural state, most of my ryding is on the open road and once i'm up to speed, i dont do much shifting. i love the semi-automatic now and wouldnt go back to a manual shift. since i have to ryde 100 miles before i get to a town of any size, i much prefer the rt for the comfort. take her to a dealer and let her decide which one she likes. she'll love ryding a spyder!

Spyder Garage

also......have your wife get ahold of faran in the above post and request to come over to 'girls on spyders'. its a group of women only spyder ryders. faran is one of the site managers and she can give your wife the invite. its a fun group, lots of good information too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpartan1984 View Post
    Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Would like to get your prespective and impressions of the Spyder. My wife would like to go riding with us (my buddy and I ride the Aprilia Mana) and we thought that either the Spyder RT or ST may be a good fit for her. The less shifting for her, the better it would be and of course the safety of having three wheels for better balance than say a Vespa (which she currently rides) is an added benefit. She's already taken the MSF course and has her M1 certification. So let me hear if you think this is a path we should explore.

Sincerely,

xpartan
    You all are great, thanks for the quick responses as well as advice. Very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    Absolutely!! Just be careful though, you could be bitten by the too
    lol...well we had discussed this. I think if she gets comfortable with the Spyder, when we go on long rides, I'd join her

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    That's the route a lot of us have taken...riding the Spyder without previous motorcycle experience. (Probably makes it easier to adjust to the difference between riding 2 wheels and 3 wheels if you don't have to unlearn the 2 wheel lessons)! She'd probably prefer the ST or RT, although some of the women are on the RS or RSS. Best way to figure out which would be her preference would be to go to a local dealer while they are offering demo rides. If demo rides weren't being offered, just sitting on the different bikes would at least allow her to see what position she prefers since each of the models is different. I personally wanted the SE5 so I wouldn't have to worry about shifting manually; I love it.
    I know she would prefer the more upright position and I do believe they are offering demo rides in the area, so will definitely look into this

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I would venture to say that outside the scooter world the spyders have the most female ryders out there. They are currently having test rides all over the place and once she tests one that will be it...pay attention to what otter said..you may be bitten soon after...
    lol...point taken

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You should test drive both flavors of the ,s you are interested in. The new ST is the mid-ground between the RS (sport) version and the RT (touring) version. Currently, I recommend the RT because of all its comforts. I have not had an opportunity to test drive a ST, so cannot give you further information on that.

Price wise, the ST can be as much or more than some of the RT options--depending on which model you like.

Get an SE5 transmission though--that takes care of the "I can't shift this thing" argument.

akspyderlady loves her 2011 RT A & C and put 5000 miles on it from mid July through September of 2012. IMO: Not bad for two and a half months.
    Very true...would it be better to go new or look for "fairly new"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bxntrk View Post
    In my past riding lives I had a Burgman maxi-scooter. I really liked the sitting position of scooters, and so, when I decided to go for 3 wheels, I prefered the RT. I like the position and having the storage. But if I was starting now, I'd consider an ST and a trailer. I haven't tried the ST yet, but hope to soon.
    I know when we sat on one at the motorcycle show a few years ago, we really did enjoy the seating positions as well as all of the bells and gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    I'm going to make an assumption that if she likes her Vespa, she may prefer the ST to the RT because the RT may feel too bulky to her. The ST is sporty and still comfortable. But the very best thing as others have suggested, is to test drive. Who knows? She may end up liking the RT feel. Either choice would be great and I'll bet she loves it.

p.s. I was a non-rider before I got my Spyder and took to it like a fish to water. If her motorcycle experience is relatively minimal, she'll probably feel comfortable the Spyder more quickly than if she has lots of 2-wheel experience to "unlearn".
    Thanks FaranH and I'll also mention your site to her

Quote Originally Posted by LindaG View Post
    We purchased an RT 2012 last Aug. and started riding with a group out of SanAntonio. Lets just say sharing did not work. Two weeks ago we purchased an RS-S SE5 2010 for me. We have friends that have his and hers RT's., but we went a cheaper route. She likes the Rt because it is easier to reach the controls. And that is true, I have no problem driving the RT. My RS-S has the 4 1/2 inch risers that make it easier to drive. I tired a manual shift and could not reach the clutch handle, but the SE-5 is great. After the first ride my husband installed mirror extentions, which worked very well, before all I could see were my hands. If possible let her try several bikes to find out what works for her, we all have different needs.
    Damn, so does this mean I'll have to buy my own?

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    i concur with all previous posts. let her take a test drive on both the st and rt. at the very least, let her sit on them and get a feel for them. i had no previous motorcycle experience and have wanted a bike for several years. i had a mini-stroke in april 2012. i thought my desire to ride was over because i no longer trusted myself to hold a bike up. the spyder changed my life. i bought a used 2008 gs in july 2012. not knowing how i'd take to ryding i didnt want to spend alot of money on a new one. i was addicted after my first ryde. two months later i put my leg over a 2012 rt se5 a&c and instantly fell in love. sold the 2008, bought the 2012 and it was the best thing i've ever done for myself. initially i missed the manual, but quickly realized thats since i live in a rural state, most of my ryding is on the open road and once i'm up to speed, i dont do much shifting. i love the semi-automatic now and wouldnt go back to a manual shift. since i have to ryde 100 miles before i get to a town of any size, i much prefer the rt for the comfort. take her to a dealer and let her decide which one she likes. she'll love ryding a spyder!
    I think with all the awesome advice everyone has given, this may be what she needs to make the jump...appreciate the info and advice.

also......have your wife get ahold of faran in the above post and request to come over to 'girls on spyders'. its a group of women only spyder ryders. faran is one of the site managers and she can give your wife the invite. its a fun group, lots of good information too.
    Note taken

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have owned an RS manual last year and I went to the RT semi-automatic in Oct. I love both. I wanted to get away from the clutch due to some wrist and hand issues. It would tire me out after a long ride and lots of shifting up and down. I love my new RT. There is lots of specials on the 2012's now. I love the storage, radio, taller windshield, cruise, heated gripes, comfortable seating and positioning, smooth handling and back rest for my 9 year old. I will miss my yellow wild child spydie and all the atention because it looked and sounded awsome. But, I will love all the upgrades and charm of the 2012. I would stay away from the 2013 until the got the steering corrected. I used to drive scooter (250 honda Helix), 450 Kaw. LTD and 250 Yamaha. There is NO comparisson to my spyder. I love it. I have the Spyder fever forever. Good luck in your search. Test drive and see.... you will be biten too. Enjoy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Linda8802 View Post
    I have owned an RS manual last year and I went to the RT semi-automatic in Oct. I love both. I wanted to get away from the clutch due to some wrist and hand issues. It would tire me out after a long ride and lots of shifting up and down. I love my new RT. There is lots of specials on the 2012's now. I love the storage, radio, taller windshield, cruise, heated gripes, comfortable seating and positioning, smooth handling and back rest for my 9 year old. I will miss my yellow wild child spydie and all the atention because it looked and sounded awsome. But, I will love all the upgrades and charm of the 2012. I would stay away from the 2013 until the got the steering corrected. I used to drive scooter (250 honda Helix), 450 Kaw. LTD and 250 Yamaha. There is NO comparisson to my spyder. I love it. I have the Spyder fever forever. Good luck in your search. Test drive and see.... you will be biten too. Enjoy.
    Hi Linda,

She's a piano professor so definitely have to watch out for those wrist issues. Appreciate the information regarding the RT semi-automatic and will look into a test drive sometime soon. I was reading some of the postings about the 2013 model...yikes!!!

Barry

Spyder Garage

I was reading some of the postings about the 2013 model...yikes!!!

Barry
    Any problems with the 2013 models, are being addressed by BRP

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, it's a group on Facebook, not it's own website. But not open to the public so it's truly women-only.

Spyder Garage

thanx for clarifying faran

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, it's a group on Facebook, not it's own website. But not open to the public so it's truly women-only.
    She has a FB account..give me the particulars and she'll "like" you (or at least I think that's what you call it on FB)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Facebook

She has a FB account..give me the particulars and she'll "like" you (or at least I think that's what you call it on FB)
    have her go on facebook and search "girls on spyders". Faran would take it from there. Just a note: We bought my 2011 spyder ltd in 2011. I had never driven a motorcycle. I did get the semi auto and I'm glad I did. I took to this spyder really quick and I love it. I even go grocery shopping on it. (Thats a whole other story). Ha! Enjoy and let us know what she does.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I wanted the SE5 transmission, not because I couldn't shift this thing, but so I wouldn't have to be thinking through all the things involved in shifting plus all the things about staying safe on a motorcycle with all the crazy drivers in cars out there! I figured my brain cells would be put to better use trying to stay safe.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

I added 2 ladies today, so ask her if she's one of them! She can also friend me by looking for Faran Spyderryder. Glad to get to know her!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Once bitten by the Spyder...

Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Sincerely,

xpartan
    You'll all be trading your cycles in...the web is beginning to spread. You'll soon be so jealous of her, you'll be wanting one also. I'm so glad I got one when my husband got one...we love riding together. Gonna love SpyderFest...long way for us to go to get there but so excited.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you want to ride with her I would suggest the RT...I have an RS-SE5 and I love it..

Spyder Garage

I too never had a MC license before always rode behind hubby. When he got the RT SE5 I decide I wanted to learn how. So I took my test and class on his RT and I love it. John said it took him about 500 mile to be comfortable and to adjust to the 3 wheels when he got it. I took to it like Faranh. However I bought the RS Se5 and I love it. I prefer to ride my RS over Johns RT. The RT is to bulky for me. I do have the 4" risers and it sets up nicely. I haven't tried the new ST but if I was going to buy a new one I would definitely look into trying the ST. I think it would have the best of the two. comfort and sport. We are a two family and love every min. of it. You always have someone to ride with.

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Spyder Garage

Default lady rider

Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Sincerely,

xpartan
    I have had 3 two wheelers then had neck and hand surgery found it hard to ride my bike so found I was riding less and less but missed it. Did a test drive on a RT and then the new Harley trike for shure it would be the Harley, but I hated the trike, no comfort there!!!! The RT was my bike. I have a viper red 2011 with 14,000 miles on it and have not had it for 2ys. yet, we ride, Mi to Sturgis, yellowstone ect. I LOVE IT NO 2 WHEELS FOR ME, NEVER AGAIN!!! ride with all Harley rides and I am so happy, we also have a Harley Road glide and I hate ridding it, but some like pain. Hope this helps, go test drive!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I added 2 ladies today, so ask her if she's one of them! She can also friend me by looking for Faran Spyderryder. Glad to get to know her!
    Hi Faran,

Apologize for the delay in responding...we just got back from vacation so I didn't see your post until now. I forwarded the info to her, so hopefully she'll send you a friend request soon.

Barry