Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts on Myrtle Beach 2014

Is anyone following the 2014 Spyder Event in MB? They just changed it from a Spyder Event to a Fun Car Event. I'm really not too keen on that. I would rather see Spyderville take over the town without the distractions from others but apparently the sponsors wanted to get other people involved. Money rules I guess.

My thoughts are they have drastically underestimated the power of Spyder Owners to show up and make an event an Event. Any thoughts?

Bill Howard
    Last edited by bhfromme; 03-05-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

It looks like fun,but would it be b4 or after Bike Week? MB has not been biker friendly lately moving Bike Week to Murrils Inlet,but it's close to us so we will go if we can.
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

who is putting this one and is there a web site?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Rally of Myrtle Beach

NCSpyder, here's the site.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I'm on their mailing list and have received 2 emails so far. If you go through the site there is nothing there but titles at this time.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

I think the reason this rally is doomed to fail is the crazy sponsorship fees he's asking.

2013-03-05_11-32-45 copy.jpg

Spyder Garage

I will be putting my Spyder on a cruise ship 5/8/2014 and taking a once in a lifetime ride in the caribbeans. Maybe 2015
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    I will be putting my Spyder on a cruise ship 5/8/2014 and taking a once in a lifetime ride in the caribbeans. Maybe 2015
    I lived in the carolinas for several years and the best place to hang out on the coast is about 1 1/2 hours north of Myrtle, Oak Island, NC. We used to rent a beach house there for a week for next to nothing and get some friends together for beach, beer, and debauchery. It is generally pretty quite there too, not quite the ruckus of Myrtle. Just sayin'................
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I think the reason this rally is doomed to fail is the crazy sponsorship fees he's asking.

2013-03-05_11-32-45 copy.jpg
    Thanks Lamont. I know MB has been very biker unfriendly over the years. Have they loosened up any?

Bill
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    Thanks Lamont. I know MB has been very biker unfriendly over the years. Have they loosened up any?

Bill
    Haven't been back since they got "unfriendly". Plenty of places to spend my money that want me there.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default cruise

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    wow! Me jealous!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

They have loosened up some but it's still not a good atmosphere for large groups. Now if you go down there by yourself or with just a few friends it's not too bad. There are a lot of places that prohibit the wearing of "colors". Having said that, this is a rule not only in MB, you'll find it in other "biker" towns as well. We even have a small private club here that prohibits the wearing of colors. We went in to the Land Shark in MB one time and didn't see the sign, we were reminded, nicely, that we couldn't wear our vests.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I lived in the carolinas for several years and the best place to hang out on the coast is about 1 1/2 hours north of Myrtle, Oak Island, NC. We used to rent a beach house there for a week for next to nothing and get some friends together for beach, beer, and debauchery. It is generally pretty quite there too, not quite the ruckus of Myrtle. Just sayin'................

Oak Island, Southport area is nice. The film Safe Haven was filmed in Southport. We prefer Atlantic Beach, Crystal Coast, Beaufort (NC). By the way, up here it's pronounced Bofort.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Bruiser, it's Bufort, not Bofort!!! Regarding Myrtle Beach, when we have gone there for BW we did not encounter any hostilities or problems either from merchants who GLADLY took our money or any Harley or other riders. We do wear our vests. Big Patriot Guard patch, ABATE, BTW (Brothers of the Third Wheel) and Carolina Spyder Riders, along with various amusing patches. Last year, after eating lunch near the Custom Dynamics trailer (had a good conversation with a bunch of Harley riders from Tenn. and Alabama), we went back to Murrels Inlet. Started at the Beaver Bar and ended up at Suck Bang Blow. We are probably the only people there ordering a Coke or sweet tea and diet coke (neither of us drinks)!!! Spent most of the time in Murrels Inlet.
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

Default Townsi

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Bruiser, it's Bufort, not Bofort!!! Regarding Myrtle Beach, when we have gone there for BW we did not encounter any hostilities or problems either from merchants who GLADLY took our money or any Harley or other riders. We do wear our vests. Big Patriot Guard patch, ABATE, BTW (Brothers of the Third Wheel) and Carolina Spyder Riders, along with various amusing patches. Last year, after eating lunch near the Custom Dynamics trailer (had a good conversation with a bunch of Harley riders from Tenn. and Alabama), we went back to Murrels Inlet. Started at the Beaver Bar and ended up at Suck Bang Blow. We are probably the only people there ordering a Coke or sweet tea and diet coke (neither of us drinks)!!! Spent most of the time in Murrels Inlet.
    Yo Bruiser...........you are right with "Bofort", NC. I live in Buford (Beaufort) SC. This has been a "thing" for many years.

Spyder Garage

Bruiser, my bad. thought you were saying SC, not NC. need my glasses changed!!!

Spyder Garage

To with the glasses, lets
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Harley Davidson had their state rally in North MB in 2012 and all seemed well.Most are avoiding the city of MB.Areas like Murrels Inlet,Surf Side on one side and Cherry Grove on the other side.We did go to 2012 bike week and stayed at the Yachtsman.Thats downtown and they had many vacancies all up and downthe street.We,ve going to bike week there for seven years and restaurants we use to have to wait in line at we now walk right in.The city has hurt the motel and restaurant bus,but not killed it.....yet.STILL a GREAT place to hold a rally.OH yea since we have a house at Oak Island thats a good place for one too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Myrtle Beach

Can not add a thing significant to this thread, I'm only hijacking a minute to add that Myrtle Beach was a great place to be stationed 66-68. Anyone remember the 441 victor (BSA) great bike and lots of great roads to ride then. Could not help myself, I'm gone

Spyder Garage

Default Glasses

I can't see far away so you can just imagine what I "think" I see when I don't have my glasses on.

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere that the city of MB went as far as creating some town ordinances to keep bikers from congregating. Pretty crazy stuff. They even had a citywide law requiring people to wear helmets even though South Carolina gives people the choice. That ordinance was later challenged and repealed by the State but the message was clear, MB just doesn't want bikers in their town.

I lived in Savannah for a year or so but never made the trip to MB. Lamont said it best. There are plenty of places to spend my money that want me there!

Bill
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=currin20fan;583999]I can't see far away so you can just imagine what I "think" I see when I don't have my glasses on. [/QUOT

Carol, you and I are in the same boat.

El Dorado Bob, MB was one of the best kept secrets in the USAF. However,MB was one of a very few cities that wanted the base closed so they could have the property and airport.

SDM, no problem.
    Last edited by bruiser; 03-07-2013 at 09:43 AM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been going to the bike rally for years with no problems. My parent's live in MB now so I'll probably be there for this event. As for the helmet laws and such, the City of Myrtle Beach tried that a few years ago, but the state lost several million dollars of tax revenue during the bike rally weeks so that went away quickly. Some of the hotels have a "no motorcycle" policy, but there are still several who like receiving money from said "bikers". As always, the few idiots make it rough for the majority of us who are sensible.

This event looks like it will be held the week preceding the yearly MB Bike Rally, so there shouldn't be any issues. Hope to see some of you at this year's standard bike rally, May 10 - 19. You can find more information here: http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com

Spyder Garage

Yeah, MB bike week has been strange lately, I guess... but remember, folks, most of the merchants there didn't have much issue with bikers... not that spyder riders are your average biker. We seem to be a mellower bunch, overall. But MB markets itself as family-friendly, as well. Most of the populace at large view bikers as less than savory folks, and that's what started the ruckus, in a way. It had more to do with the following biker week, and mostly-naked women riding on the back of the bikes up and down the strip, and general unpleasant rowdiness overall during that time, which coincided with schools being released for the summer, and 'family' vacation time. The hotels didn't want to risk giving up that 'family' revenue; they have depended on that for decades. But to keep things fair, the town of MB had to punish all, as it were.

So, as a result, bike week moved both south and north of MB. MB lost tons of revenue, and has backed off considerably, but still does not harbor any official bike week events, although the merchants there are overall very happy to see them.

With that said, as Catniption stated, we had a great time at the last bike week we attended, and drew a flock of admirers to the Kuryakyn tent when Clyde had his footboards installed. Everyone was really friendly to us, businesses and bikers alike, even though we certainly aren't your average bikers.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryguy View Post
    If anyone would like to have the questions answered on the Myrtle Beach Rally ... please email and I will send you my response to these questions that I try to keep posting ... they keep getting deleted Larry
    maybe the person deleting them is trying to tell you something. you might want to read the rules on postings.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer