Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell is back

I thought the new gas cap had solved my fuel odor issue. I only experienced the odor once or twice after installing the new gas cap and then it just stopped. I even did a 300 mile ride last weekend and had no gas smell. It has been odor free for well over a month. But today the temperature was up to 85 degrees and when I got home from work and parked in the garage, the odor was overwhelming. I think the warmer temperature caused more expansion in the tank so the problem is still there. I guess the only real fix is the canisterectomy. I really hate to do that and have a warranty issue later on. Sure wish BRP would give the dealers a fix for this.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    I thought the new gas cap had solved my fuel odor issue. I only experienced the odor once or twice after installing the new gas cap and then it just stopped. I even did a 300 mile ride last weekend and had no gas smell. It has been odor free for well over a month. But today the temperature was up to 85 degrees and when I got home from work and parked in the garage, the odor was overwhelming. I think the warmer temperature caused more expansion in the tank so the problem is still there. I guess the only real fix is the canisterectomy. I really hate to do that and have a warranty issue later on. Sure wish BRP would give the dealers a fix for this.
    you are over filling the tank wait till the pump click off and that should do it never fill to the neck

Spyder Garage

Several RT owners that have done the canisterectomy say they still have the problem....

Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell is back

Just had my 14k service done actually only had 13300 miles on it, but read about wrapping the header to reduce heat to the tank so my dealer did that for me and it's made a difference! Almost 80f today and minimal gas smell after stopping, in fact when I got home tonite was able to shut the garage door without having to run the box fan to cool it off first!

Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default Cool weather no smell

I have noticed the smell more when the weather is hot. I don't overfill the tank and I also make sure I hear the cap click when I tighten it down. I think the fuel comes close to boiling when the weather is hot.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell with new cap

My situation is slightly different. Never noticed the gas smell with the OEM cap. Got the new one and installed it. Lots of gas odors when parked after a ride. Check Lamonts video to make sure I installed it correctly. Yup, followed the directions. Switch back to the old cap rode to town, 45 miles, stopped and filled the tank. Drove around town 74 degrees on the spyder thermometer stopped a few times. No gas smell. rode back home and parked the bike still no smell. I haven't had a chance to try again as I left for work in China 2 days later. Will repeat the test when I return the end of March. Is my bike one of the odd ones that is rejecting the transplant?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It never hurts to plany your refueling stops so that you've got at least a short trip somewhere after you fill up...
    Burning off some of that new fuel helps to create room for expansion...
    (4.75 miiles from the nozzle to the garage!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Once that cannister gets wet with fuel it's done and needs to be replaced or removed. We get the gas smell sometimes on hot days and we don't overfill. I really think it's the nature of the beast. We always leave ours outside to cool down before putting them in the garage. It's not good for them to be rode hard and put up wet.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wa BRP told my dealer

I had a thread running on the same problem. We did the canister remove,inspect and reinstall operation with the new cap. Still stunk up the garage. BRP TOLD THE DEALER THAT IF THE CANISTER WAS DRY IT WAS DOING ALL IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO,

the Service Manager asked is there any fix to which the BRP CSR said that to build a canister big enough to handle the job, it would have to be as big as the front trunk. He finished up by telling the dealer to tell the customer "when finished to park it outside for thirty minutes to cool off and ventilate then move it to the garage.

that was not a good answer IMO so I am just waiting for the right moment to make my case

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Gas smell is back

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Just had my 14k service done actually only had 13300 miles on it, but read about wrapping the header to reduce heat to the tank so my dealer did that for me and it's made a difference! Almost 80f today and minimal gas smell after stopping, in fact when I got home tonite was able to shut the garage door without having to run the box fan to cool it off first!

Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    I bought some exhaust wrap today and gonna give this a try. Of course I can't find it now, but I thought I read a post on here that said wrapping the exhaust was a bad idea. Any problems with wrapping just the sections of pipe that are close to the tank?

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I bought some exhaust wrap today and gonna give this a try. Of course I can't find it now, but I thought I read a post on here that said wrapping the exhaust was a bad idea. Any problems with wrapping just the sections of pipe that are close to the tank?

I am interested too because that is my next step in trying to stop boiling fuel in the tank which I am convinced is the real problem on the RTs.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Smell Saga

I can tell you first hand that over filling is not the issue with my Spyders gas odor. I have worked with two dealers and appreciate the efforts, we have had a pinched hose, discussed lack of baffles and the fuel sloshing(?), to the canister is an engineering issue, to the liner in the frunk and not enough airflow(?) however, the tank can be full, half or a third full and the smell remains. The one factor each time that remains the same is it happens with both high outside air temp and engine temp. Well not everyone has the issue but there is enough to keep this thread and previous threads going on with this conundrum. Should Burp be visiting and read a few threads might we think it would be taken seriously and maybe fewer back room canisterectomys will be happening. Where is a spell check when needed

Spyder Garage

Overfilling isn't my issue either. I put the wrap on my pipes, so I'll see if that helps.

Spyder Garage

Overfilling isn't my issue either. I put the wrap on my pipes, so I'll see if that helps...
    Any pics of the pipes wrapped?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default EXHAUST WRAP

Overfilling isn't my issue either. I put the wrap on my pipes, so I'll see if that helps.

To set your mind at ease ...One of our own Spyderlovers here is an exhaust shop owner and has built too many exhausts to remember....even one double pipe and muffler set-up for his RSS ( nicest welds I've ever seen on an exhaust pipe IMHO ) ....anyway He also wrapped his exhaust and told me He has NO concerns about it affecting it's longevity. In his opinion it's a very well made sturdy pipe.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Any pics of the pipes wrapped?
    I did a long ride today and was too tired to take any panels off for a photo. I took this picture but can post a better one tomorrow if you want.

DSCN0243 (Medium).jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Just the facts

'New' cap, 'New' evap canister, 'New' purge valve. 80 degress under the tuperware on todays ride and could smell fuel when stoped for any length of time at stop lights. Once home it was dripping fuel in the driveway after shut down.

Like it or not, the safest thing to do is let it cool down before garaging it.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I had my exhaust wrapped and the gas tank removed an put a heat shield on the bottom of the tank. I park in my barn but can't tell. When I ride I was smelling gas but no more gas smell when I ride now. Let me know if it helps you parking in your garage.

Spyder Garage

I agree with El Dorado Bob. It is a heat issue. I will have a better idea the next warm day we have. If the wrap works, it is a $50 fix.

Spyder Garage

After riding on several warm days (today it was 87 degrees), I can say that wrapping the pipes definitely worked for me. I haven't had any gas odors since I wrapped them. Maybe that will change when the temps rise a bit more, but for now I am pretty happy with the results.

Spyder Garage

After riding on several warm days (today it was 87 degrees), I can say that wrapping the pipes definitely worked for me. I haven't had any gas odors since I wrapped them. Maybe that will change when the temps rise a bit more, but for now I am pretty happy with the results.
    How about showing us the label for the pipe wrap product you used ...
    and any tips on putting it on....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Smell

Once that canister is contaminated you have a skunk in the yard, does not matter if you over filled or there was a pinched line. Your dealer can evaluate and contact BRP for a recommendation or approval to replace. Just know when temps from the engine and outside temps go up you will have this smell come back, it does not go away with time. Just my opinion from here on the left coast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado Bob View Post
    Once that canister is contaminated you have a skunk in the yard, does not matter if you over filled or there was a pinched line. Your dealer can evaluate and contact BRP for a recommendation or approval to replace. Just know when temps from the engine and outside temps go up you will have this smell come back, it does not go away with time. Just my opinion from here on the left coast.
    The liquid in the emissions canister will eventually evaporate, but it can take months. Meanwhile, the canister is ruined for emissions purposes, once the activated charcoal is spent. In the future, because of its inability to even absorb the normal vapors, the gas smell will be more common.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    How about showing us the label for the pipe wrap product you used ...
    and any tips on putting it on....
    20130505_131441 (Medium).jpg

This is what I used. You have to spray it with a silicon sealer after you wrap the pipes. I removed the pipes to do this. It was quite a job because I had to remove the frame bracket (the one that bolts to the oil res. and fuel tank) to get the left pipe out. Other than removing that part of the frame, everything else was fairly easy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gas smell

I have had an on going strong gas smell on my 2010 RT-S , my dealer replaced the canister,and
    new gas cap, when the temp is above 80 degrees and ride 30 miles with some stop and
    go with 3/4 tank of fuel , I stop and shut the engine off ,if I smell fumes I look in the gas tank
    and will see gas bubbling or boiling. to me it is a saftey issue, poor insulation that shouldn't
    be the owners responsibilty to repair. COULD BE A FIRE HAZARD,AND FUMES ARE
    AN ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE . Maybe BRP could come up with some kind of a heat shield!
    Just my 2 cents
    Tom