Thread: 1st and Reverse

Spyder Garage

Default 1st and Reverse

I've had some trouble getting in to 1st and reverse at times. I feel totally comfortable with the clutch and most of the time both gears are fine. But sometimes I drop it down as far as it'll go and it won't find those gears. Anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something? I hate getting stuck at a light because I can't find 1st.
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Default Re: 1st and Reverse

Haven't had any issues with that but there is a adjustment on the lever. Have you played with that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    Haven't had any issues with that but there is a adjustment on the lever. Have you played with that?
    I have not. Correct me if I'm wrong though- while in neutral with the clutch all the way in, I should be able to kick down hard and find 1st regardless of all other conditions, right? When I have the problem, I just wait a few seconds and try again.
    Also, why does reverse sometimes read "E" instead of "R"?
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Yes you should be able to kick it in no matter what if the clutch is in. I don't remember mine ever saying E

If you think you have a problem I would let the dealer deal with it. :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko
    I have not. Correct me if I'm wrong though- while in neutral with the clutch all the way in, I should be able to kick down hard and find 1st regardless of all other conditions, right? When I have the problem, I just wait a few seconds and try again.
    Also, why does reverse sometimes read "E" instead of "R"?
    I do not have to kick hard to go into first. Also, and I'm sure this is obvious, you are pulling the R all the way back and holding it in place until you have the bike in reverse, right? I just pull the clutch in and click down once for 1st, no problem. If you are having issues, maybe it is time for another ride back to your dealer or to a close Spyder authorized dealer in your area. It shouldn't be hard at all. Keep us posted and good luck.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I also don't have any problems with 1st and Reverse. Neutral, on the other hand, can be difficult at times. It seems to be a sporadic problem as sometimes I get neutral with no trouble and other times I am going from 1st to 2nd to 1st to 2nd to.... ( you get the idea ).

I need some advice from you experienced riders on shifting. Do you use the clutch for all shifts? I have found that I easily go between the gears with a little relaxing of the throttle and then shifting without the clutch. The first time I did it was not intentional but I have tried it a few other times and it shifts, no problem. Yesterday, my step-father took one of ours out on a short test ride and asked me if I use the clutch for all shifting. He used to ride bikes 20 - 30 years ago so I am assuming that he was asking relative to his past experience with riding motorcycles.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

On my VN750, I can shift while underway with no clutch if you ease on the throttle.

Spyder Garage

I had some problems getting into first.... usually if I rolled to a stop and THEN tryed to click all the way down to 1st from 4th.

Sometimes you need to let the clutch out just a tad in order to jump into the next lower gear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The clutch lever adjustment mentioned by someone earlier may well be the answer. I adjusted mine so that it took a little closer in and my shifting was mch smoother and easier. On the other hand, I also have a little trouble at times in finding neutral from first gear when stopped. Need to have a more sensitive left toe, I guess.

Jac H.

Spyder Garage

when downshifting to a stop neutral is easy from second slight down allways easy when stopping for me
    HAPPY TRAILS SPYDEE PE#53

Spyd3r

I does get CLUNKY into first somtimes. I have blown 2nd a few times now so N is pretty easy for me to find :a20:

Spyder Garage

I thought about this overnight and decided to add my 2 cents. IMHO 1. you should downshift as you are slowing down so that you are always in the appropriate gear for the speed you are going. 2. sitting at a stoplight in neautral is not the safest thing to do. I usually wait until I have a buffer of 2 or 3 stopped cars behind me before I shift in to neautral, if I do this at all. The Spyder downshifts into 1st easily as you are coming to a stop, but mine seems to be very CLUNKY going into first from a full stop. Ryde safe and Enjoy your Spyders :bigthumbsup:
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyd3r

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5
    I thought about this overnight and decided to add my 2 cents. IMHO 1. you should downshift as you are slowing down so that you are always in the appropriate gear for the speed you are going. 2. sitting at a stoplight in neutral is not the safest thing to do. I usually wait until I have a buffer of 2 or 3 stopped cars behind me before I shift in to neutral, if I do this at all. The Spyder downshifts into 1st easily as you are coming to a stop, but mine seems to be very CLUNKY going into first from a full stop. Ryde safe and Enjoy your Spyders :bigthumbsup:
    sabunim5
    Conquer. IMO I think people MAY be experiencing brake squeal because they have not been hard enough on their hard brake pads. I more often then not use engine braking, down shifting when slowing. i have had to remind my self "Get on those brakes" after doing that for a few hundred miles in and around town; along with bedding them at higher speeds, i not have any squeal.

Spyder Garage

I agree - I'm a downshifter by nature... and I seldom go into neutral at a stop light.

I make sure every time I go out on a ryde to at least stomp on those brakes once from a high speed!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No problem on first or reverse. I too find neutral a bit difficult to get into at times.

Does anyone have an answer on the question above about shifting w/o the clutch?

Spyd3r

When I first got it, I was so excited a few times i did shift without the clutch. It was like, " Did i just shift without the clutch?" Dealer said it happened to him as well.

Spyder Garage

I catch myself shifting without the clutch at times :redfaced: but I still get the PSI (positive shift indication) or clunk that I'm used to, so far so good.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have often wondered the same thing "did I actually pull in the clutch enough to shift?" It always shifts so it hasn't been a problem.

In our MSF class, we got dinged if we weren't in 1st gear every time we stopped. That class was three years ago, and I did very little riding in between but that really stuck. I always downshift coming to a stop.