Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: COMMUNICATION SYSTEM

Yes, they are rechargeable.

Spyder Garage

Can either system link to the RT so I can listen to the iPod that is connected in the trunk? I want a system that I can talk to the wife but have control of the radio thru the RT. don't want to spend $300 for the dongle then another $300 for the headset system. I am not interested in a cb system, just communication and mp3 music, don't care about phone use.

Spyder Garage

Like others, I have the Sena 10's and use them for:
    Intercom w/passenger
    Bike to bike
    Garmi Zumo for GPS and
    iPhone for phone and music.

Easy to use and easy to update the software.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

My helmet came with the Blinc1 installed for everything $159.00 at helmetcity.com

It matched right up to my iPhone5 and my Garmin Zumo 665LM which has xm radio in it... Now can listen to music off the phone or dial in xm radio, answer my phone, hear my GPS directions or communicate for up to 1500' with other riders
    Tough price to beat...
    The top model they make also has FM radio in it I think
    Blinc 3

Spyder Garage

Default Speaker speaks

Can GPS,iPod,iPhone,etc be wired to come through the RT speakers and not just through the helmet?

Spyder Garage

SMH10!
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Used before all Scala up the G4, moved on InterfoneF5JP F5 with handlebar switch:
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Default Recent problem with Scala Rider G9

On our last trip we had it turn off and we were never able to get it to work again. I was sooo angry I wanted to throw them away. Too many buttons to push and too complicated it seems. One wrong button and you are off. To use them properly you would need to take a 30 hour course on “How To”. I am sorely disappointed. Spent too much at this point to change but that may be in the future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I recently switched to Sena. Got a pair of smh10 s used from Forrest. Easy to use, nice and loud. Recently purchased a smh10r. And again, easy to use and loud, but my first set was defective with one speaker not working. Sena support has been easy to work with, and have authorized an RMA, but we're not done yet.
    Question - in going from the Sena SMH-10 to the new SMH10R, other than the loss of the jogwheel, are there any key differences?

My brother and I currently use the Cardo Sala Q2 Multiset when we ride together and I am tired of having to wait for the units to 'resync' after every time we stop and get back on the bikes, the tinny sound of the speakers, etc

we are looking at the the 2 Sena sets and are trying to figure out which set to get

any feedback would be appreciated since you have used both
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Is the sena shm-10 rechargeable?

Thanks
    John
    You can also use them while they are charging if you have a power source on the bike.

I got a set of the Sena SMH10 on the advice from others here, and am very happy, especially for the price ($250 for the set (brand new) from a vendor on eBay)

My only wish is for longer range.

edit: I just checked out the new R version, and now I have another complaint, that I didn't wait. Those new ones are unbelievable.
    Last edited by motoford; 04-08-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

somewhere back on page one I noted you purchased a sena from our trusty local dealer...so my two cents no longer count..!!good luck with it..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default me to

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    I have the SMH10 but have never been able to listen to music . Guess I need to go back to the book and try and re program. I can hear my Garmin and answer the phone but I guess I need some help with the music thing I just turn up the volume on the radio (2011RT)

Spyder Garage

Default Have used both Cardo and Sena

I will chime in here as I have used both the Cardo G9 and the Sena SMH10 systems. We use these for bike to bike to that is the lens I will filter this through.

For the last two years the wife and i have had the G9's in our HJC helmets. We were not very impressed with the volume and quality of the sounds so someone mentioned getting the speakers installed closer to our ears. I took some foam and did just that. Made a world of difference. I would say overall the sound quality was average and to get the VOX to kick in was a challenge at times.

This past week we took delivery of 2 new Bell Mag-9 Sena helmets. These come prepared to have the Sena SMH10 unit installed. I must say, a great design. We rode for the first time yesterday and WOW. The sound is so much better. I can talk to her in a normal voice and she can hear me clearly. I also connected my iPhone but these speakers are not really made for music so I was not all that impressed. What I did like though was that the music would cut out when the wife was trying to talk to me so I always knew when she was attempting to communicate.

So far, the Bell helmet with the Sena unit installed has been the most impressive. Certainly the most expensive combination UNLESS (like us) you need new helmets and communications systems. We were ready for both.

Spyder Garage

Lots of great talk about WIRELESS SYSTEMS but Im looking for all around functionality and sound quality. I don’t mind having to go wired if it gives me the capabilities I’m looking for. I want to be able to listen to the ipod plug up in the trunk, hear the GPS, utilize the factory installed PTT button on the left grip, talk to the passenger and talk to other riders, and hear all of this through the speakers in my helmet. The BRP CB doesn’t appear to be highly recommended in its current configuration. What is your recommendation for a suitable/compatible alterative communications system wired or wireless that would give the user the most all around “Bang for the Buck”?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Lots of great talk about WIRELESS SYSTEMS but Im looking for all around functionality and sound quality. I don’t mind having to go wired if it gives me the capabilities I’m looking for. I want to be able to listen to the ipod plug up in the trunk, hear the GPS, utilize the factory installed PTT button on the left grip, talk to the passenger and talk to other riders, and hear all of this through the speakers in my helmet. The BRP CB doesn’t appear to be highly recommended in its current configuration. What is your recommendation for a suitable/compatible alterative communications system wired or wireless that would give the user the most all around “Bang for the Buck”?
    I am a big fan of wired systems, myself. Unfortunately, with your requirements you are not likely to find a system that will work as you wish, out of the box. There is no add-on CB unit available for the Spyder RT that I know of. It might be possible to rig up a portable to use with some systems. The OEM PTT switch will not be able to be utilized. A couple of people have dismantled the control and tapped into the switch, but it is a very difficult job and its capabilities would be limited. If you can find an add-on CB and mount an antenna, Starcom1, Autocomm, and others have add-on PTT switches that can be used to trigger the radio. To get the Spyder audio into your helmet you can install a hi-lo converter such as the PAC SNI-35, tapping into the existing speaker wires. That's what I did for my Starcom1, and it works well. Good luck in your quest. If you get it all sorted out, post the results here. Other owners would like to do the same thing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Love my sena smh10. Id go with it or the smh5fm.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It SPYDER FEST time

Hi Everyone !
    I'm your SPYDER Lovers SENA dealer, I hope you got yours before the trip to
    Spyder Fest but if not call me for the best prices on all SENA products and
    our custom made to order All day seats with Comfort Max GEL
    Thanks and ride safe
    Dave