Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default NEED A FOOT SHIFT BUTTON

I am a Left AboveElbow Amp.
    Have a question.I am looking in to getting a 2012 RTS. What I was wondering is, if I couldrelocate the paddle shifter or add another switch, that I could bump with myfoot. For the electric shift. I didn't know if this would be possibleelectronically with all the many different sensors and modules on the bike. Iknow the bike will down shift on its own. So maybe just some type of momentarybutton switch added inline with the factory switch, something by the left foot peg. Maybe on the lower side pannel. If anyone has anytechnical info or know someone with this type of knowledge. I would love tohear from you or them. THANKS

Spyder Garage

Default move shift paddle

A friend of mine had a similar issue with the Outlander ATV from BRP. His dealer just moved everything to the left side. The reverse button could be the most complicated part as both shift paddle and reverse button must be activated to back up so you might need an additional switch to accomplish this.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I have a Can-Am renegade 800 everything I need isalready on the right side. (Brake lever and throttle)

I can manage the reverse button situation pretty good. (JUST BACKING UP IN APARKING LOT.) I just would like to know if I can add some type of
    momentary switch that I can tap with my foot. I don't want to go and spice insomewhere and fry something somewhere else. In other words, I've kind of got mymind made up on what I want to do. I just don't know if I can do it withoutcreating another problems. That's why I was looking for someone that may havesome knowledge on DO'S and DON'TS. When it comes to messing around with thepaddle shifter. THANKS and Still welcoming more comments.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, the shifter and many other functions on the Spyder are handled by way of digital switches or signals, and the CANBus system. In other words theyt are electronic instead of electrical. That makes merely substituting another switch pretty difficult. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it is way above my pay grade. I wish you luck in finding a solution. I think it would be easier to utilize a manual shift and find another way to work the clutch. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nancystoy I think that your right. I knew the bike was full of electronics. I also know that there is a wide selection of aftermarket centrifugal clutches. BUT if there is a way to use or relocate a switch would prefer to do that. Still Looking

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Could you fashion some sort of foot-operated, push/pull cabling that could mechanically move and activate the shift paddles?

Oh!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thinking out loud. On my paddle shifting car, I know it will upshift at red line if I don't upshift manually. Does the SE upshift on its own? If you don't manually upshift I'm thinking at some RPM it will do so automatically to save the motor. Maybe the SE owners can verify. If so, then the shifts points are pre-programmed, and there might be some way to re-program the transmission to do so at more reasonable revs.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

There is a woman on this site with a GS that she had converted to a foot shifter. It looks like the brake pedal, but on the left side. I met her at SpyderFest a couple years ago. I can't remember her name, but SpyderAnn01 knows who she is.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    There is a woman on this site with a GS that she had converted to a foot shifter. It looks like the brake pedal, but on the left side. I met her at SpyderFest a couple years ago. I can't remember her name, but SpyderAnn01 knows who she is.

Mike she only has her left arm so she added a left footed gas pedal. She had the work done at a company that does handicap auto conversions .
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mike she only has her left arm so she added a left footed gas pedal. She had the work done at a company that does handicap auto conversions .
    DUH! I knew that...my old brain is not hitting on all cylinders!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Thinking out loud. On my paddle shifting car, I know it will upshift at red line if I don't upshift manually. Does the SE upshift on its own? If you don't manually upshift I'm thinking at some RPM it will do so automatically to save the motor. Maybe the SE owners can verify. If so, then the shifts points are pre-programmed, and there might be some way to re-program the transmission to do so at more reasonable revs.
    They don't automatically upshift; you'll just come up against the rev limiter and...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They don't automatically upshift; you'll just come up against the rev limiter and...
    ... and ... BOOM, followed by horrible mechanical noises??
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok then. Will scratch off adjusting shift points. LOL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A push pull cable was mentioned on another forum. And I'm defiantly entertaining that ideal.
    I think that type of system would keep me out of the Electronics. Just have to work on form and function.
    ThanksGuys
    Last edited by 09RAM3500; 02-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No... the power just kind of tails off; leaving you wanting for more!

So... no KaBoom!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In the UK We have the National Association for Bikers with a Disability - NABD

You could try a post on the Forum although not many Spyders have been sold in the UK yet
    There are experts in adaptions which may point you in the right direction

See this Link
    http://www.nabd.org.uk/

Hope you can find a solution
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World