Spyder Garage

Default Are you planning a trip to Alaska in 2013?

I just wanted to offer my help if you are planning a trip to Alaska this year.

I am always happy to answer questions, make suggestions for good rides based on your time, experience, bravery, etc.

I live in Chugiak--about 20 miles from Anchorage--so we are at the hub of most of the good rides.

Also like to meet Spyderlovers and maybe even join you for a ride if you are so inclined.

Looking forward to any inquires. On the thread or PM.

akspyderman

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I am always happy to answer questions, make suggestions for good rides based on your time, experience, bravery, etc.

I live in Chugiak--about 20 miles from Anchorage--so we are at the hub of most of the good rides.

Also like to meet Spyderlovers and maybe even join you for a ride if you are so inclined.

akspyderman

Not in 2013, but hopefully in 2014. We are planning on retiring sometime soon after next April. If it turns out to be May or early June we will be on our way. Plan is to spend most of the summer up there. Denali is a "must see" and going north to the Arctic Ocean is a "must do". I want to be able to say I camped north of the Arctic Circle. Everything else is optional, except eating sea food. That's a must also.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you have 2014 in your plans. We will be looking forward to your visit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Conditions of roads

akspyderman
    Can you comment on the condition of the roads through Canada and in Alaska especially as it relates to the limited clearance of the Spyder.

There is also the issue of gravel and the possibility of small rocks getting in the belt. (I have the "missing belt guard and routinely travel 7 miles of gravel/rock roads each time I ride)

Assuming approximately 135- 150 miles as maximum travel between fuel, is this a problem?

We have considered riding to Alaska and taking the Ferry back. Your thoughts?

Wife is hesitant to make the trip so your comments may be helpful.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the offer! My wife and I will be coming up in August. We do plan on spending and extra night in Anchorage. I will send you a PM when it gets closer to the date.

Looking forward to meeting you guys

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Coyne Spyder View Post
    Can you comment on the condition of the roads through Canada and in Alaska especially as it relates to the limited clearance of the Spyder.

There is also the issue of gravel and the possibility of small rocks getting in the belt. (I have the "missing belt guard and routinely travel 7 miles of gravel/rock roads each time I ride)

Assuming approximately 135- 150 miles as maximum travel between fuel, is this a problem?

We have considered riding to Alaska and taking the Ferry back. Your thoughts?

Wife is hesitant to make the trip so your comments may be helpful.

The Alcan Highway is always an adventure of sorts. I do recommend purchasing a copy of the 2013 Milepost. Available at most bookstores. Amazon.com usually has the best price of $20.00 or so. The Milepost will give you information about most current road conditions and will have ads for things like gas stations and places to stay, as well as descriptions mile by mile. Note: they talk about sponsers only, so you may find others.

The worst stretch of road is Destruction Bay, Yukon Terr. to Tok AK. You will run into frost heaves--which I call "hoop te doos". Speed needs to be kept down or you may bottom out. They are actually fun to drive once you get the hang of it. You do need to keep your attention level up though. This stretch of road is about 125 miles long and there was no gas in between locations the last couple of years. When I rode this stretch in 2010, it took alamost three hours with speeds mostly in the 30 mph range. Also pretty lonely feeling, we saw a car about every 20 minutes or so. Fill up just outside of Tok, or at Destruction Bay if you are coming from the other direction. If you are worried about fuel, add a Reda gas can to be safe.

Gravel can be found where you encounter construction zones. There will always be some construction to be found. The missing belt guard is a good item to have. Low speeds in gravel areas are also recommended. Two riders that I know of got glacial till (dust) on their brake actuators and this caused the brakes to not release completely. The ,s thought that the brake was being ridden and caused limp modes to happen. I did not encounter that problem with either in 2010.

The Alcan is worth the drive, the scenery is breathtaking, and it is surely an adventure. Be prepared for the worst to happen, but do not let it keep you from the ride of a lifetime. Have good (newer) tires, the bike serviced and checked over before the trip, and you should be good to go. Places to stay are quaint, but adequete for your adventure.

Most take the ferry back. You can access the ferry at Whittier, which is about 25 miles from Anchorage. That makes for an easier return trip. All that have taken the ferry have liked it a lot.

Hope you find the information helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks fo the good info.

The Alcan Highway is always an adventure of sorts. I do recommend purchasing a copy of the 2013 Milepost. Available at most bookstores. Amazon.com usually has the best price of $20.00 or so. The Milepost will give you information about most current road conditions and will have ads for things like gas stations and places to stay, as well as descriptions mile by mile. Note: they talk about sponsers only, so you may find others.

The worst stretch of road is Destruction Bay, Yukon Terr. to Tok AK. You will run into frost heaves--which I call "hoop te doos". Speed needs to be kept down or you may bottom out. They are actually fun to drive once you get the hang of it. You do need to keep your attention level up though. This stretch of road is about 125 miles long and there was no gas in between locations the last couple of years. When I rode this stretch in 2010, it took alamost three hours with speeds mostly in the 30 mph range. Also pretty lonely feeling, we saw a car about every 20 minutes or so. Fill up just outside of Tok, or at Destruction Bay if you are coming from the other direction. If you are worried about fuel, add a Reda gas can to be safe.

Gravel can be found where you encounter construction zones. There will always be some construction to be found. The missing belt guard is a good item to have. Low speeds in gravel areas are also recommended. Two riders that I know of got glacial till (dust) on their brake actuators and this caused the brakes to not release completely. The ,s thought that the brake was being ridden and caused limp modes to happen. I did not encounter that problem with either in 2010.

The Alcan is worth the drive, the scenery is breathtaking, and it is surely an adventure. Be prepared for the worst to happen, but do not let it keep you from the ride of a lifetime. Have good (newer) tires, the bike serviced and checked over before the trip, and you should be good to go. Places to stay are quaint, but adequete for your adventure.

Most take the ferry back. You can access the ferry at Whittier, which is about 25 miles from Anchorage. That makes for an easier return trip. All that have taken the ferry have liked it a lot.

Hope you find the information helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the good information. Sounds doable and I am sure it is the ride of a lifetime! We'll see what developed for us.

Spyder Garage

Akspyderman is the go to guy for Alaska. He pm'ed us with information about what we were about to go through and what to watch out for on our trip to Fairbanks. He also took us to local areas around Anchorage that you can't see anywhere else. Awesome!

Best piece of advice I can offer is what akspyderman already said. Get a 'Mile Post.'

Alaska is a trip of a lifetime! Everyone needs to ride there once...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Alaska is a vital part of my dream trip to complete the Ultimate Coast to Coast Challenge for the Ironbutt Association. Deadhorse, AK, to Key West, FL, in less than 30 days.

My worries are obviously fuel and th Dalton. The road up to DH from Fairbanks. After finding out about it on The History Channel, is it, or a version of it passable for Spyders in June or so? Thinking of that timeframe so that its not too cold in AK, and not too hot in Florida.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Default Can't make it this summer

Can't make it this summer but we were there in February for the Fur Rondy. Visited with our friends in Sterling and had a great time snow machining, snow shoeing, X-country skiing. We have been to Alaska 3 times in the summer but this was our first winter trip. Everyone should see Alaska in the winter.

2012 CanAm Spyder RT-S SE5
    SENA SMH5 Bluetooth Headsets
    Diamond R Armrest, Passenger Tour Mug, Driver Tour Mug
    Opitma Driver-Backrest
    Seal Deluxe Floorboards
    RIVCO-Trunk Mounted Flag Holders
    Ram Ball GPS Mount
    AST3 Ultimate Towing Trailer

8th Air Force
    96th BG, 413th BSq

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Alaska is a vital part of my dream trip to complete the Ultimate Coast to Coast Challenge for the Ironbutt Association. Deadhorse, AK, to Key West, FL, in less than 30 days.

My worries are obviously fuel and th Dalton. The road up to DH from Fairbanks. After finding out about it on The History Channel, is it, or a version of it passable for Spyders in June or so? Thinking of that timeframe so that its not too cold in AK, and not too hot in Florida.
    Our fellow SL YAZZ went up that way and she can give you first hand information. I have not ventured that far North. It is not a ride for the faint of heart--but surely doable. Give her a PM and she will fill you in.

June might be a little early. Spring break up makes for muddy, gooey, roads. The Spyder does not like that very much.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mwkess View Post
    Can't make it this summer but we were there in February for the Fur Rondy. Visited with our friends in Sterling and had a great time snow machining, snow shoeing, X-country skiing. We have been to Alaska 3 times in the summer but this was our first winter trip. Everyone should see Alaska in the winter.

Sorry that we missed you. Sounds like you had a good time though.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=joet82;611062]Alaska is a vital part of my dream trip to complete the Ultimate Coast to Coast Challenge for the Ironbutt Association. Deadhorse, AK, to Key West, FL, in less than 30 days.

My worries are obviously fuel and th Dalton. The road up to DH from Fairbanks. After finding out about it on The History Channel, is it, or a version of it passable for Spyders in June or so? Thinking of that timeframe so that its not too cold in AK, and not too hot in Florida.[/.

--------------------------

We went up the Dalton the last of May. The snow was gone and the summer rains hadn't started.

The road from Fairbanks and partway up to Coldfoot is paved. The rest of the way to
    Deadhorse is hard packed dirt and gravel. The gas stations on the DH are around 240 miles
    apart. Taking extra gas is a must.

As AKspyderman said, if those dirt roads get wet they are slick as snot.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I was also thinking of reversing the route. Starting for Keywest in june-ish and making Deadhorse early july, or there abouts. Would be cool to say I spent my birthday at the most northern town of the us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Thanks. I was also thinking of reversing the route. Starting for Keywest in june-ish and making Deadhorse early july, or there abouts. Would be cool to say I spent my birthday at the most northern town of the us.

Make sure you keep us posted. That will be a great ryde to follow.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Make sure you keep us posted. That will be a great ryde to follow.
    And maybe even join me up the Dalton?

Spyder Garage

Default Alaska Trip maybe 2014

My Alcan Hwy Trip in 1973 was nothing short of MERACULOUS! We all know time has changed and with it is changes, hopefully better. This post has stirred my thinking of the trip I took to Alaska, now 40 years ago this June! WOW has time passed so quickly!
    A little background first. A GF at the time decided she was going to live in Alaska with her mother. She asked me if I could take her in my 1964 Chevelle 2 Dr. Station wagon. Me being young and adventurist thought this was a great idea. Her father made it perfectly clear he was less than pleased. I think mostly because of the white silhouette of a Grizzly Bear scratching his back on a tree stump with the words under it reading “IF IT FEELS GOOD DO IT”! and a 4” foam pad in the back.
    Off we went on the 4 days and 3 nights adventure Salem Oregon to Anchorage. It really started at the Canadian border and entrance to the Alcan Hwy. Yes buy the Alcan Mile Post Book, it will come in very handy. So many times I referred to the book for directions and much needed information not only for camp grounds but food and gas. Some of my most memorable experiences were, a camp ground where we were eaten by mosquitoes, so into the car we jumped for the night. The next morning there were bear claw marks on the foam pad. Another moment was when I had to have a picture of the snowcapped mountain range. While driving I grabbed the camera and started taking picture…… forgetting about driving. The car gently head right off the road and down the embankment where I quickly bring it to a stop…. No problems as the road area was cleared some 500 feet wide. More pictures and off we went.
    Road conditions varied from smooth paved strips to gravel to tundra thaw up heaves and soft spots. Terrain was so rough at times, going less than 5 MPH the cars suspension was fully collapsed to lifting the wheels off the ground going over humps. The return trip in September I cut off one full day travel time averaging 80 MPH. My suggestion is, Ferry up and drive back the Alcan in later summer. At that time the Alcan Hwy was more gravel roads than pavement.
    Many picturesque stops on the way so take your time and plan at least 5 days.
    Maybe in 2014 it would be great to join in with other enthusiast for an Alcan ~ Alaskan tour!