Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Make sure you keep us posted. That will be a great ryde to follow.
    And maybe even join me up the Dalton?

Senior MOMENTS Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska Trip maybe 2014

My Alcan Hwy Trip in 1973 was nothing short of MERACULOUS! We all know time has changed and with it is changes, hopefully better. This post has stirred my thinking of the trip I took to Alaska, now 40 years ago this June! WOW has time passed so quickly!
    A little background first. A GF at the time decided she was going to live in Alaska with her mother. She asked me if I could take her in my 1964 Chevelle 2 Dr. Station wagon. Me being young and adventurist thought this was a great idea. Her father made it perfectly clear he was less than pleased. I think mostly because of the white silhouette of a Grizzly Bear scratching his back on a tree stump with the words under it reading “IF IT FEELS GOOD DO IT”! and a 4” foam pad in the back.
    Off we went on the 4 days and 3 nights adventure Salem Oregon to Anchorage. It really started at the Canadian border and entrance to the Alcan Hwy. Yes buy the Alcan Mile Post Book, it will come in very handy. So many times I referred to the book for directions and much needed information not only for camp grounds but food and gas. Some of my most memorable experiences were, a camp ground where we were eaten by mosquitoes, so into the car we jumped for the night. The next morning there were bear claw marks on the foam pad. Another moment was when I had to have a picture of the snowcapped mountain range. While driving I grabbed the camera and started taking picture…… forgetting about driving. The car gently head right off the road and down the embankment where I quickly bring it to a stop…. No problems as the road area was cleared some 500 feet wide. More pictures and off we went.
    Road conditions varied from smooth paved strips to gravel to tundra thaw up heaves and soft spots. Terrain was so rough at times, going less than 5 MPH the cars suspension was fully collapsed to lifting the wheels off the ground going over humps. The return trip in September I cut off one full day travel time averaging 80 MPH. My suggestion is, Ferry up and drive back the Alcan in later summer. At that time the Alcan Hwy was more gravel roads than pavement.
    Many picturesque stops on the way so take your time and plan at least 5 days.
    Maybe in 2014 it would be great to join in with other enthusiast for an Alcan ~ Alaskan tour!