RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Default New Front Tires Installed

Bought a pair of 175/65R14 Michelin Defenders tires today for the front wheels. A pain to get inside the fenders, but seem to fit fine once I got them on. I now have Michelins all around with the HydroEdge on the rear. All are highly rated in traction & braking (dry/wet) & rated for 90,000 miles. Have no idea how they'll last on the Spyder, but very well could reach their age limit before I wear them out. I guess we'll see...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will love car tires on the front!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Bought a pair of 175/65R14 Michelin Defenders tires today for the front wheels. A pain to get inside the fenders, but seem to fit fine once I got them on. I now have Michelins all around with the HydroEdge on the rear. All are highly rated in traction & braking (dry/wet) & rated for 90,000 miles. Have no idea how they'll last on the Spyder, but very well could reach their age limit before I wear them out. I guess we'll see...

Do you have the 215/60R15 Hydroedge on the rear??? or do they make the 225/50R15 in the hydroedge??

Also, are the Defenders a directional tire?? It sure would be nice to be able to rotate left to righ and right to left without demounting, remounting & rebalancing...

I need to gets tires on my 08 GS before this riding starts in PA...

thanks, larryd

Spyder Garage

The Hydroedge is being discontinued. I thing Defender is the replacement now. I've been shopping for another rear before Spyderfest and have about settled on a Cooper CS4, 780AA, US made, 205-60-15, which is the size I have on it now. That tire is a General Altimax and at 10K looks to have maybe 5K left, but since I want to have new rear bearings and belt adj before the trip, figured I might as well cough up another $90 for the Cooper. Its a so-called 80K compared to the Defender which is 90K/820AB for $123. The Hydroedge had a better looking tread pattern than the Defender, but must be a reason they've discontinued.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Just a word of caution, something to check

We did similar on Teds Red Sled and went with a slighly wider than stock on the front tires and are very happy with the change. Just double check to make sure that your Fender-Tip light wiring that runs along the fender bracket has enough clearance from your tire. I think it was Coz that noticed this issue on ours, when he had stopped by a few weeks back. There's a small clip mount that holds the wiring alongside the fender bracket and I was able to just move it more to the back of the bracket, so that the wire doesn't have chance to rub against the tire. Glad he noticed that csuse I didn't. Just thought I'd share this & hope it helps.

Dav n Ted~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So what are the acceptable alternates to the standar 165/65-R14?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I also wish I could try the darkside when it comes to tires. Since I drive pretty much over 15,000 miles each season, I am always having to replace at least the back tire. I did get about 25,000 out of the original fronts on my 2010, but we will see what happens this summer.

My dealer will not install non OEM tires and I am kind of held hostage there. The fronts would not be a problem--but I don't want a non-dealer screwing with taking the back end of my apart.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Do you have the 215/60R15 Hydroedge on the rear??? or do they make the 225/50R15 in the hydroedge??

Also, are the Defenders a directional tire?? It sure would be nice to be able to rotate left to righ and right to left without demounting, remounting & rebalancing...

I need to gets tires on my 08 GS before this riding starts in PA...

thanks, larryd
    The HydroEdge is 215/60R15. They don't make them anymore. The Defender is the replacement. There is no direction of rotation arrow on them, but there is an inner & outer sidewall. One tire is running the reverse tread pattern. I'll have to check if that is intentional or if there is supposed to be a left and right tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So how close are you to the dealers up there? If there are others within a "reasonable" distance; it might be worth calling to see if they'd mount a tire that doesn't have "Kenda" tatooed on the sidewall...
    After all, EBaying a tire seems pretty easy... If you can roll your own up to the shop doors; it might save enough to make it all a worthwhile adventure!

Spyder Garage

There is only one "alternative" dealer, and I would not go there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Take your wheels off and take them to a car tire store. They can do them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not everybody has the skillsets to remove that rear wheel...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CAR TIRE STORE

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Take your wheels off and take them to a car tire store. They can do them.
    Only the fronts ...to the best of my knowledge .........MTC shops can do the rear....Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hydroedge rear tire

I just replaced my orginal rear tire with the hydroedge last week. The tire looks great. The Tire Depot had 3 of these tires in stock. The manager did not say anything about these tire being discontinued. I hope not, later I would like to replace the front with the same tire.