Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Ooomg...what the..?!!!

Hey guys, got my Spyder out for the second time this year, FINALLY! So what I've got is this. New 2012 RSS SE5, 186 miles. Yes, that's it. I'm working on getting more. Anywho, what's happened is that I took it for a ride for a few hours, did the norm, ride, stop get a few things, varied riding no highballing...start up the hill towards my house, second gear, 3700-ish rpm, steady throttle. All of a sudden I hear this bang...bang-bang-bang (it was loud...thought something was gonna fly out of it)coming from down under me, and it lurched something horrible. No codes came up. Thought maybe the belt slipped, looked back and down, it was still there. Shifted to first, gave her some light juice, banged once more. Let off the throttle a bit; was fine the rest of the way home (maybe 500 feet) in first about 3000 rpm. Wasn't on any loose gravel or dirt, wasn't throttling around any corners. Wasn't stomping on it. Any ideas? No leaks, belt is tight, still no codes. I heard about the throttle body/actuator, but thought it was limited to the RT? Hopefully someone can shed some insight into this. I know it's still under warranty and the service tech said to just ride it and if something fails the warranty service would have it towed to the shop. That's fine and dandy but....kinda leaves me going should I ride this thing???

"Sometimes through the winds of change, we find our true direction"

2019 RTL SE6, Spyder upgrades ultraguard cover, foam grip cover, trunk organizer, magic mirror kit, saddlebag liners, ultimate seat with gas door and rain cover, heavy duty gas shock for seat, back rest, glove box protector, BajaRon sway bay, front grill, short spiral antenna, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS with mount, trunk light, large brake pedal, wide vu mirrors, barb wire decal kit, highway pegs, hot grips.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you picked up a rock and it ran through the pulleys a couple of times. I would inspect the belt all the way around.

Spyder Garage

Ok...jacked up the ass end and spun the wheel around, checked all the teeth on the belt and the rear cog. Didn't see anything unusual; the cog didn't show any silver scraping from rocks contact on any of the teeth, and the belt didn't have any chunks missing or any splits *WHEW!*. Shone a flashlight right up to the front and spun it again, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Gave the whole thing a good rinse again, just to get the residual grit from the road. Haven't ridden it again...kinda...well, you know a bit worried. No rocks though...unless they fell out but so far i don't see any damage from that. Good idea tho to invest in one of those belt savers.

2019 RTL SE6, Spyder upgrades ultraguard cover, foam grip cover, trunk organizer, magic mirror kit, saddlebag liners, ultimate seat with gas door and rain cover, heavy duty gas shock for seat, back rest, glove box protector, BajaRon sway bay, front grill, short spiral antenna, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS with mount, trunk light, large brake pedal, wide vu mirrors, barb wire decal kit, highway pegs, hot grips.

Spyder Garage

Default Sound effects..!!

From what you explained sound like you were lugging the engine. 3000 rpm in 3rd gear going up a hill I might cough and lurch a bit myself. If you have no codes and the bike is running fine I would test it again and if it acts up again downshift...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From what you explained sound like you were lugging the engine. 3000 rpm in 3rd gear going up a hill I might cough and lurch a bit myself. If you have no codes and the bike is running fine I would test it again and if it acts up again downshift...
    Thats what it sounds like, To low rpms will cause the Spyder to buck/lurch.

Spyder Garage

I was in second, @ 3700 rpm when it started and then dropped it to first. It did it even in first when I went to keep going, so I let off and then just buggied it the rest of the way around 3k. I don't like lugging it...mind you I don't like lugging any of my bikes. I kinda like the sound of this thing when you get the higher rpms; with the Hindle it sounds like a Nascar racer. Guess all I can do is keep an eye on it next trip out. The weather's finally getting nice and I want to get some miles on this thing!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check that belt again

That is what my Harley sounded like when the belt was loose enough to jump
    the teeth on the front pulley your belt may just be to loose.
    good luck
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I'm gonna guess at bad gas, condensation in the gas, bad spark plug wires, wet spark plug wires, or too low rpm. Could easily be a combination. Put some Stabil or SeaFoam in it, top off the gas, and ride the thing. Keep the rpm up as much as possible, especially up hills...this ain't no Harley or Goldwing! If the problem persists, see your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Bad plug wires...well, that would be warranty. Wet plug wires...def not that everything was bone dry. Bad gas. Oooh boy I hope not this was a full cherry can of premium I just got last night! Funny thing was it ran fine all day with that tank of gas until just before I pulled into the driveway. I'll check the belt in the morning and see again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Bad plug wires...well, that would be warranty. Wet plug wires...def not that everything was bone dry. Bad gas. Oooh boy I hope not this was a full cherry can of premium I just got last night! Funny thing was it ran fine all day with that tank of gas until just before I pulled into the driveway. I'll check the belt in the morning and see again.
    Could still be a throttle body or other issue. Have your dealer check for codes. The procedure for owners only displays active codes. Your problem may not have been active the moment you checked. Could still just be low rpm...or even Miss Nanny kicking in (although she is usually more gentle and quiet).
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Before the latest software upgrade mine would do this, usually from a cold start though it has happened when warm. It had something to do with the throttle body going nuts and did not always through a code but many times it would go into limp mode. Since then I have put on 7k miles and while it will do it a bit if i try to move it short after a cold start, if I allow to warm a 5 mins or so it is fine, which my mechanic said is normal. Just food for thought.

Spyder Garage

Yeah...I've had miss nanny kick in before and usually she just powers down and you get the pop pop pop out the exhaust when you are on the throttle until traction comes back. It was definitely a loud bang, like real loud. Hammer on metal loud. Did any of the RS have the TB probs?

arntufun

Yeah...I've had miss nanny kick in before and usually she just powers down and you get the pop pop pop out the exhaust when you are on the throttle until traction comes back. It was definitely a loud bang, like real loud. Hammer on metal loud. Did any of the RS have the TB probs?

No..................... I don't think there was ever a reported issue on an RS. If there was, it wasn't many. Mine is fly by cable (not wire) and I think yours is to.

As to your banging, you got me ????? Are you sure it wasn't out of your tailpipe ???? Where do you think it was coming from ???????
    Last edited by arntufun; 02-16-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Definitely wasn't coming from my tailpipe. I've heard it backfire before when I shift. This came from right under me; it was so loud I couldn't really pinpoint exactly where it came from. Just scared the bejeesus out of me, so I slacked out of it and then shifted into first. I didn't think 3700 in 2nd was that low...went into first and it did it once and then stopped.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a rock/pebble went through the belt, It will Scare The Holly Beejesus Out Of You. Happened twice to us on a recently chip sealed road. Definitely an eye opening experience.

2012 Quantum Blue Metallic RT-S (SE5)
    Elka Stage 1 +R, Yosh R-77 Muffler, Cat Bypass, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, HMT Brake Light, Garmin 660,( Spyderpops BumpSkid, Lower Radiator Block Off Plate, Catalytic Converter Shield, & Missing Belt Guard) GloRyder's, (Tricled “Vader wings” & Super White LED Fender Lights) Butler Mug Holder, Shortee Antenna, Prosport digital voltage/clock gauges. Baja Ron's Plugs/Wire and Sway Bar....

Spyder Garage

Around here...anything is possible. even when the roads are clean, you get those little pieces of pea gravel that like to come out of nowhere and take out a headlight. Def investing in the missing belt guard...should have ordered that the same time I ordered the bump skid.

Spyder Garage

Cannot offer any mechanical advice--but will be watching to see how it all works out for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Thats what it sounds like, To low rpms will cause the Spyder to buck/lurch.
    You are shifting way too soon. The Spyder likes high RPMs. You should cruise and no less than 4,500. Climbing a hill.... 5,500+. I stay in 2nd until about 45mph.

I have been a GS owner for five years with over 60,000 miles on a Spyder under my belt.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I know what it is

Funny thing was it ran fine all day with that tank of gas until just before I pulled into the driveway.
    Your bike did not like going home, and wanted to play longer. I was thinking too low RPM's.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Ok so I took the Mad pumpkin out for a ride today; a bit longer than the last trip. Kept the revs up around 5600, shifted around 6500. Didn't have any problems this time but i have noticed a vibration coming from the back end below and above 5600. Belt didn't seem loose, but being new i have no idea how tight that thing is supposed to be. My dirt bike was easy if there was no more than an inch play then it was fine. Other than that it ran fine, I just really kept on the revs and made sure it didn't go below 4500 before I shifted lower if I had to.

Spyder Garage

Ok so I took the Mad pumpkin out for a ride today; a bit longer than the last trip. Kept the revs up around 5600, shifted around 6500. Didn't have any problems this time but i have noticed a vibration coming from the back end below and above 5600. Belt didn't seem loose, but being new i have no idea how tight that thing is supposed to be. My dirt bike was easy if there was no more than an inch play then it was fine. Other than that it ran fine, I just really kept on the revs and made sure it didn't go below 4500 before I shifted lower if I had to.
    Inspect your sprockets very closely. The least little bit of debris built up in the sprocket grooves causes a great vibration. I picked up a stone recently, as you might have. After the awful racket, mine got stuck in the sprocket, resulting in severe vibration. After it was removed, the vibration was less, but still very noticeable. Upon closer inspection, I found bits of tar and dirt barely coating some grooves. After cleaning thoroughly, everything was fine. Also look closer at the belt...a divot can cause vibration. The Spyder does seem to have some resonant vibration around 5,000 rpm, however, so what you feel now may be normal.

The best thing to do with belt tension is to have the dealer set it with his sonic gauge. A Krikit2 from NAPA or Gates can substitute, if you take a reading on a properly tensioned belt for comparison. The old rule of thumb is to grab the belt between your index finger and thumb, midway between the sprockets, and give it a twist. If it twists 90 degrees, with some difficulty, it is close to the right tension. If it twists more, it is too loose, if less, too tight. Spyder belts usually need to be retensioned at the 600 mile service. It is best for a dealer to do this, and it's a good time to compare to a Krikit reading for future reference.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought; My RS has never had a problem with being bogged. EVER. Although I've spent considerable time tuning with the AFR gauge and JB Pro. I don't bog it often however. It's always smooth as silk. I would put a jack under the bottom rear shock mount on the swingarm, jack it up, start it and put it in gear while idleing. Let the rear wheel spin while watching the belt and sprockets with a flashlight. Have someone juice it to about 3000 rpms while you're watching it. It may well be excessive water in the gas (yes, even Super) if it contains ANY ethanol. A skip would cause it to bang like that. While you're at it check to make sure nothing is loose like front sprocket/wheel alignment/belt tracking/tension etc. I just had a fuel issue with my 660r Raptor with tracks and skis while riding in the mountains a couple of days ago. Might very well be a skipping engine because of questionable fuel. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtspyder View Post
    Just a thought; My RS has never had a problem with being bogged. EVER. Although I've spent considerable time tuning with the AFR gauge and JB Pro. I don't bog it often however. It's always smooth as silk. I would put a jack under the bottom rear shock mount on the swingarm, jack it up, start it and put it in gear while idleing. Let the rear wheel spin while watching the belt and sprockets with a flashlight. Have someone juice it to about 3000 rpms while you're watching it. It may well be excessive water in the gas (yes, even Super) if it contains ANY ethanol. A skip would cause it to bang like that. While you're at it check to make sure nothing is loose like front sprocket/wheel alignment/belt tracking/tension etc. I just had a fuel issue with my 660r Raptor with tracks and skis while riding in the mountains a couple of days ago. Might very well be a skipping engine because of questionable fuel. Good luck!
    This does not make Miss Nanny happy!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll freak her out with the different speeds in the front and rear of the bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'm gonna guess at bad gas, condensation in the gas, bad spark plug wires, wet spark plug wires, or too low rpm. Could easily be a combination. Put some Stabil or SeaFoam in it, top off the gas, and ride the thing. Keep the rpm up as much as possible, especially up hills...this ain't no Harley or Goldwing! If the problem persists, see your dealer.
    I had the same problems I did the same as above and never went away. I took it to Freedom Motor Sports in Lawreneville, Ga. They found that the map sensor was faulty and replace it. I have over 6,000 miles on it after they changed it and runs like new. Take it to your dealer. That's in IMHO

Mike