Spyder Garage

Default How long should the Spyder's battery last?

Inspired by this thread... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...499#post574499

Just wondering how long, in general, the Spyder's battery should be expected to last.

I'm coming up on two years ownership of my 2010 RS here in May (time sure flies when having fun!) and I'm curious whether to expect the battery to be fine through at least one more winter, or even two.

Note: I plug in a battery tender probably 80% of the time I park the bike so I give the battery at least some sweet love. I've never had any big problems with turnover, although I'm thinking it's been a *wee* bit harder to start this winter than compared to last, but nothing scientific.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I am wondering the same. My 2010 RT-S will be on season #4 when I fire it up in about 44 days or so. It's on a battery tender from October until season start up. Never had a problem with the six month or so sleep--it has always started on the first try.

The rest of the year, I drive it every day. Last year I was still making the 40 mile round trip commute to Anchorage, but that is now ended. I am guessing I will have more time for joy-riding though--so the battery will still get charged daily on its own.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This a test, this a test........ once month I start and ride for 30 minutes then stuff my without battery tender so far no issue.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Any time after 3 years get ready, That said i've seen some battery's go in a little as 6 months, And some as long as 7 years. it's a crap shoot, But there not very expensive, So i change them out at the first sign of trouble.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The answer depends on what climate you live in, how you treat your battery, how regularly you ride, and what accessories are drawing current both during riding and when sitting idle. On average though, batteries last around 4yrs.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine died after about 3 years but alot of it was my fault for not keeping the tender on it when i neeed to etc.

Spyder Garage

If they are kept on a battery tender of some sort, they should last many years. On my Goldwings and on several friends bikes (mostly Goldwings and Harleys) six or more years is not unusual. Only time will tell what reality really is but, I expext several years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that you kind of have to start watching for signs of trouble.
    Unusual error codes seem to start popping up when the juice starts getting low...
    I'm coming up on three years and so far; so good!
    It's chained to the Battery Tender each Winter, and gets run just about every day as soon as it can!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default battery

i have an 08, store in my heated work shop over winter with tender on at all times. i still have ORIGINAL battery in it, tender says it is still good, but will have it looked at this spring. during the summer i never hook up tender.

Spyder Garage

Battery life is quite variable. Climate, riding/driving habits, engine rpm, accessory use, and other factors make it unpredictable. If you are the nervous sort, replace it at periodic intervals...usually around the amount of warranty. If you don't care (like me) wait until it starts to fail or quites altogether. Nobody has ever marketed a crystal ball for batteries.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

Good information to know. Thanks for sharing!

Spyder Garage

On the other hand, I just had mine replaced as it would not hold a load test. Bought the Spyder in June 2012. No warrantee after 6 months on the battery and about $160 for the new one.

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar

Spyder Garage

Default Luck of the draw..!!

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Any time after 3 years get ready, That said i've seen some battery's go in a little as 6 months, And some as long as 7 years. it's a crap shoot, But there not very expensive, So i change them out at the first sign of trouble.
    To many variables to give a date...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

alwas keep the battery on a tender when your not riding it,summer winter.spring,fall,it will last longer that way,im on my 53ed motorcycle,thats all i can say ,just do what you think,but ive tested these for 67 years of riding,and keeping them on a maintaner they lasted longer

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 PE GS that I took delivery on 4/9/08 and now have over 78,000 miles on it and have never had an issue with the battery. I only have the battery tender on in the winter usually from some time in late November until late March. I will see how it goes in early spring and hopefully will get another year on it.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have no idea how long they should last.....LOL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How long should the Spyder's battery last?

I just got my Spyder and will be getting the tender I just like to know when do you start using the tender? When you know your not gonna ride it for a week or more or a couple days? Or just start using the tender everyday when it's parked for the night? I just don't know what are guidelines for using it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    I just got my Spyder and will be getting the tender I just like to know when do you start using the tender? When you know your not gonna ride it for a week or more or a couple days? Or just start using the tender everyday when it's parked for the night? I just don't know what are guidelines for using it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I use mine every time I remember to use it.

But it's extra important when it's cold, or you're not going to ride it for a few days. Still, doesn't hurt to plug it in every time you park it. (FYI, this is made *exponentially* easier if you've installed an external accessory plug... I've got two Powerlet plugs in my dash, so it's super easy to just jam the battery tender plug in there every time I park the Spyder).

Anyway... to all who replied above, thanks for the info. Sounds like I've got at least another year if not two if all things are equal. Now, if only all things are equal!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!