Spyder Garage

Default 40 Years Ago Today

40 years ago today the first C141A lifted off from Gia Lam airport in Hanoi with the first 40 of 591 POWs released by North Viet Nam. Those flights would last through late March, repatriating those former prisoners. These men ranged in rank from PFCs to full Colonels. They walked, limped and were carried to the waiting aircraft. One airman, Tsgt. James Cook managed his best salute to the Colors as he was carried onboard on a litter. The longest held POW, Navy Cmdr. Everett Alvarez was also on that first flight. Cmdr. Alvarez was held eight years and was the first to be shot down over North Vietnam. As was part of the release "bargain", the POWs were prohibited by their captors from showing any sign of emotion etc. Silent as the doors were closed, when the plane lifted off the runway these men cheered, cried and clapped loudly, some pumping the air with fists. Of the 591 released, 325 served in the USAF, 138 Navy, 77 Army and 26 Marines. Additionally, 25 were civilian employees of U.S. government agencies. But that's not all. Of little known fact were the 69 POWs released by the Viet Cong that were held in South Viet Nam. Nine released from Laos and three released from China. These releases received very little if any mention in the paper. These warriors suffered a great deal until their release. Many suffered for the rest of their lives, and still do. Two of those POWs today serve in Congress. Sen. John McCain of Arizona and Rep. Sam Johnson of Texas.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the reminder. I'm sorry to say that once our generation passes away, things like this will probably no longer be remembered. That will surely be a loss to future generations.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Seems like yesterday..!!

Does not seem that long ago to those that lived through it. A sad time when even the regulars returned to an uncaring nation. More should have been done for them then and now...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is why it is our responsibility as Americans to educate our young in what it means to be a Patriot and Honor those who serve so many may be free. We have to teach the young how to show Honor and Respect to our Flag.

Dang there I go again on the bandwagon to making me the next President.

Be Safe
    AL

And WELCOME HOME to All My Brothers and Sisters who have served and are serving
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

That C-141 is sitting at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. It is painted on the outside the same it was that day. It is outside right now. They are building a new Hanger to house it inside among other outside aircraft. The Museum is free, but accept donations, including the new hanger.
    The museum is worth anywhere from 3 or 4 hours to a coupple days, depending on how deep you want to go.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't stop saying it...EVER!!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I was out of Nam for at least 6 years when they were freed.
    They were there too long , We were there there too long.
    And thats all i'm gonna say.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the post! I was only 12 at the time but I do remember watching our soliders coming home. Don't know if it was the first flight but signaled and end to the war for me.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Ditto: on the recommendation to see the museum in Dayton, OH. I had the opportunity to visit it twice when I lived in Ft. Wayne, IN. It was a great all day trip for the family.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

God Bless Them and thank you for remembering and reminding all of us. If I may add, during those time I was aboard the USS Oriscany CVA-34 on our 11 month cruise in Tolkin Gulf. Attached with VA-153 A-7A. What a time of my life?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Bruiser also served in Viet Nam. No thanks or welcome when he and the others came home. We always need to remember our military members who have served and are serving now.

Spyder Garage

Just want to send a big THANK YOU out to all of the veterans and active military personnel out there. Me and my family will be sending up lots of prayers for you and yours. You are the best of the best.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I had not been back long from southeast asia when they announced the release. I had a buddy who was a flight engineer on 141s. He was stationed at Travis. His crew was on standby as a backup. One of the guys brought a TV into the shop so we could watch the news footage. I guess what got me later on was the fact that the media printed the lies about how the POWs were instructed to to say "God Bless America" as they deplaned at Clark AFB.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Reflection

Memory of the hatred and cold souls they came home to can never be erased.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A shameful period

My nephew lost both legs in Nam and almost died twice while in the hospital. It is a sad shame the way our country treated the soldiers coming home from that terrible war that was never fought the way it should have been. It was a business man's war for making a lot of money instead of a soldiers war to be won. He was a 1st Lieutenant and never talked much about what he went thru except to say that they were not allowed to fight the enemy the way they should have been able to. We visited him in Walter Reed hopital and I could not believe some of the terrible conditions at that hospital. I am so glad that at least now veterans and returning soldiers from war are treated with the respect they deserve, but I know there is plenty of room for improvement in the areas of what our heroes need after being in combat defending our country.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Couple weeks ago I sold an Item on CL. When the gentelman came to the house, I noticed he was wearing a Vietnam hat.
    Got to talking to him about this time in Vietnam, and found out he was a POW for a short time. When I thanked him for his service,
    I noticed his wife was getting a litttle teary. She told me they were dateing when he was drafted, and was horrified how he was treated when he came home. She thanked me many times for thanking him as its rare these days for anyone to say anything.

Anytime I'm out and about, and see someone in uniform, I go out of my way to thank them...

Spyder Garage

While in the Navy in 1975, I was stationed at the Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory, NAS Pensacola, FL in the Cardiology Department. I had the honor of meeting all the Navy and Marine Corps VietNam Prisoners of War. We conducted annual physicals on them. Some of the most memorable conversations I have ever had in my life. The never complained they were awesome individuals.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!