Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST 12V plug !!

Registered Users Spyder lady 66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ST 12V plug !!

Please advise! I have a new ST Limited 2013 and the 12v plug in the frunk won't work. I checked the fuse it good and even changed it out to make sure. What else could be wrong?

Thanks,

Tammy

Spyder Garage

Sorry I cannot help on this one, but wanted to say . The mechanical experts will come on with suggestions pretty quick. If it turns out not to be a simple fix, dealer needs to make it right IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Which slot is the fuse in? (or is there even a fuse installed?) In the "Switched ACC" slot, the outlet is switched and is hot only when the Spyder engine is running (not just with the key on). In the "Unswitched ACC" spot, it works all the time. At least that's the way the new RTs work. Your manual should have more information on this.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Pigtails..!!

and if the above does not cure the ill's, if you can get to the back of the frunk check the pigtails that connect to the 12v outlet. One may have come loose...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users Spyder lady 66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!!

How do I get to the back of the trunk to check the pigtails?

[Q

UOTE=Chupaca;573324] and if the above does not cure the ill's, if you can get to the back of the frunk check the pigtails that connect to the 12v outlet. One may have come loose...[/QUOTE]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With some time and patients you can remove the frunk
    Start by removing the right and left side plastic with the vents than remove the fuse box cover and four screws on top holding the frunk after removing the four screws than go below and remove two screws at bottom right and left.
    There should be some wireing top by latch and horn to seperate than slide the frunk off and set in a safe place.
    This was my job this evening to install a 12 v accessory plug for charging and also a wire harness to supply power for the Garmin fun job.With the accessory fuse installed my power supplyes are hot with the key switch on.
    Not a bad job baught the wireing harness and all plug in from BRP so it was a flayless install,good luck by the way there isent much room to check for loose wires behind the frunk and front suspension.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 12V PLUG

If it's not a fuse, let the dealer fix it. Better than trying to remove the frunk if you are not sure what you are doing IMO.VisitedStatesMap.jpeg
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 12V

Why do you want the outlet hot all the time? Just wondering, I have found my selling dealer to be very helpful, and does not always charge for little things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    Why do you want the outlet hot all the time? Just wondering, I have found my selling dealer to be very helpful, and does not always charge for little things.
    my guess is so that their battery can drain when they forget something is plugged in at the end of a ride. lol idk. I'd rather have it off while the byke is turned off just for that reason.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    There are at least a few good reasons.....

Charge your Spyder through the outlet.
    Charge your phone, iPod, etc., overnight.
    Keep your GPS, etc., powered up even when the ignition is turned off.
    Power your cloaking device when you are parked so people don't mess with your Spyder. (OK, that may be a stretch. )

The RT trunk outlet is powered continuously, why not the ST if people want it to be?
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Anyone have pics of the accessory pigtail showing it, and where exactly it's located?

(the factory pigtail that you would add the 12v accessory plug to on a ST-S)

Spyder Garage

I have some pictures and will post them later today after Church.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of our nekked ST-S showing the pigtail.

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Awesome, so it is basically just sitting there.

Seems like such a cheap part to just go ahead and install it from the factory.

Spyder Garage

Mine does not work either. I stuck a cheap phone charger in it and it started to smoke. I tried another one and it did not work at all. Checked the fuse it's fine. Got out the volt meter. The plug is hooked up backwards (positive on the outside and the center post is negative ground. I am not taking the trunk off to fix it. It's off to the dealer to get it fixed. They did not hook it up correctly and they can fix it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Wow that sucks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the Bluetooth dongle installed and it was then that I started using the 12v outlet only to discover that the BT dongle was not getting a charge UNLESS I had something plugged into the 12v outlet. I tried plugging something in to power a device and the BT dongle was charging, when I unplugged from 12v, it stopped charging. So I have a Satellite radio powered by a Griffin dual USB adapter and it works.

So when something is plugged in it works, unplugged it doesn't work. Weird.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I had the Bluetooth dongle installed and it was then that I started using the 12v outlet only to discover that the BT dongle was not getting a charge UNLESS I had something plugged into the 12v outlet. I tried plugging something in to power a device and the BT dongle was charging, when I unplugged from 12v, it stopped charging. So I have a Satellite radio powered by a Griffin dual USB adapter and it works.

They must have powered the dongle from the ground side, or wires are reversed in a connector somewhere. Thta would not be unusual, an number of Spyders have reversed wires at one connector or another.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post

I can't wrap my head around the trouble you are having. The +5 volts and ground for the BT dongle is supplied by the radio. As long as the radio is on it should be providing power to the dongle. The 12V outlet does not share any common power or ground points. Well at least they are not suppose to.

If you find out the cause please let us know I would be very interested

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder lady 66 View Post
    Please advise! I have a new ST Limited 2013 and the 12v plug in the frunk won't work. I checked the fuse it good and even changed it out to make sure. What else could be wrong?

Thanks,

Tammy
    i had the same problem on my ST-L 2013.... Finally got it to the dealer and found the positive and negatives were crossed....Dealer fixed it... I blew fuse in two phone chargers prior to fix..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to resurrect an old post, better than starting a new post on the same thing. It looks like I have been bit by this issue also. My 2013 ST Limited 12V outlet doesn't work either. I tried a known good dual outlet USB plug and it didn't work nor did two different cell phone chargers. I swapped the fuse from 6 to 7and back and the outlet still doesn't work. From the picture above I will try to see if the plug is connected and it might be a simple fix.
    I never have good luck with any service department of anything I have ever bought new (Ford, GMC, Dodge or Mercury). I'll probably tackle it myself if it looks feasible.
    Is there a service manual available that shows the best way to get at the plug?
    20140920_143042.jpg
    Last edited by Jim's_Spyder; 09-28-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: speelin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's_Spyder View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old post, better than starting a new post on the same thing. It looks like I have been bit by this issue also. My 2013 ST Limited 12V outlet doesn't work either. I tried a known good dual outlet USB plug and it didn't work nor did two different cell phone chargers. I swapped the fuse from 6 to 7and back and the outlet still doesn't work. From the picture above I will try to see if the plug is connected and it might be a simple fix.
    I never have good luck with any service department of anything I have ever bought new (Ford, GMC, Dodge or Mercury). I'll probably tackle it myself if it looks feasible.
    Is there a service manual available that shows the best way to get at the plug?
    20140920_143042.jpg
    If you have the typical BRP plug in the frunk that was added...the connections suck and may have come loose. A pain to get to to fix.

I installed led my own and though made sure the connection was done right can easily see how the connection can come loose...bad design.

Id check the connection before the fuses.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    If you have the typical BRP plug in the frunk that was added...the connections suck and may have come loose. A pain to get to to fix.

I installed led my own and though made sure the connection was done right can easily see how the connection can come loose...bad design.

Id check the connection before the fuses.
    My digital mulit-meter battery was dead, so I pulled the fuse and did a visual on it. I'm sure its not blown I also swapped it with a spare. My guess is the wiring has come undone. I think the plug is a factory option or a dealer installed part. It talks about what I have in the owners manual and shows a picture of what my bike has.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's_Spyder View Post
    My digital mulit-meter battery was dead, so I pulled the fuse and did a visual on it. I'm sure its not blown I also swapped it with a spare. My guess is the wiring has come undone. I think the plug is a factory option or a dealer installed part. It talks about what I have in the owners manual and shows a picture of what my bike has.
    On an ST I believe the outlet is optional and installed at a dealer. The connections are hard to get to and in a place to easily come undone unfortunately...I would check connections if possible on the back of the outlet.