GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Leisure-Lite Camper Hook Up...HELP!

I think instead of a trailer and buying a tent also, we're going to get a Leisure-Lite Excel Camper. Is there anyone out there that has a 2012 RT that has gotten one of these campers and can tell us exactly what to buy for the best and proper hitch and the wires that are needed. Also how did you change out the plug on the end of the wire to attach the RT to the Leisure-Lite? What wires hook to what! Also my hub wants to know when you buy the RT hitch, are there any wires, etc. that come with it or are they separate? Guess you can see that we are clueless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're not "clueless"; it's just "early in the investigatory process" at this time...
    There's a whole bunch of folks in here who've got just this sort of thing all figured out.
    They'll get you pointed in the right direction in no time!
    So keep the rest of us in the loop; and we'll need to see some pictures...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

First, is the Leisure-Lite a 4-wire or 5-wire system? If it is 4-wire (combined brakelights/turn signals), things will be pretty easy. If it is 5-wire (separate turn signals) the trailer will probably have to be rewired.

If you don't have a hitch yet, get the latest BRP hitch (2013 version). This comes with a square-4 connector, a built-in 5-to-4 converter, plug-n-play wiring, and good instructions. For a 4-wire trailer, it is merely a matter of changing the trailer connector to a matching square-4 to make things work. A matching connector should be available from an area auto parts store or trailer shop. If your trailer is 5-wire, you will still need the connector, but you will have to rewire to separate and convert the existingt brake lights, or change the turn signals to brake/turn combination while disconnecting the existing brake circuit. A friend that understands trailer wiring, or a local trailer shop is your best bet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

i hooked up one leisure lite camper and the tail lites are made to hook up either 4 or 5 wire not sure how they do it but works ok

Spyder Garage

Post Time to jump in

I have been lurking on this site since buying a 2011 RT new in March 2012. Great info here! Buy the BRP hitch. I have towed my Leesure-lite over 5000 miles with the RT. After 2 failed trailer modules I wired directly into the RTs taillights. The dealer OKd this. If you have LED lights on the trailer Nanny doesn"t seem to care. Use posi-tap connectors for the connections. They make a positive connection. By the way the 2 modules failed right after install so I have been towing with this setup from day 1. Hope this helps. We love our RT and the Leesure-lite. Have almost 10000 miles on the RT. Cheers, Larry

Spyder Garage

Default Concerns about pulling a trailer with RT

Quote Originally Posted by ldlexpress View Post
    I have been lurking on this site since buying a 2011 RT new in March 2012. Great info here! Buy the BRP hitch. I have towed my Leesure-lite over 5000 miles with the RT. After 2 failed trailer modules I wired directly into the RTs taillights. The dealer OKd this. If you have LED lights on the trailer Nanny doesn"t seem to care. Use posi-tap connectors for the connections. They make a positive connection. By the way the 2 modules failed right after install so I have been towing with this setup from day 1. Hope this helps. We love our RT and the Leesure-lite. Have almost 10000 miles on the RT. Cheers, Larry

Husband has several questions since you have the same trailer as we do. Hope you can answer these. We haven't gone anywhere with ours yet. 1. Do you use your cruise control when you pull your Leisure Lite? 2. What's the average speed for pulling? 3. How badly does it affect the gas mileage? 4. Have you ever pulled it in a mountainous area? If so, what are the tips for doing this. We live in a flat area! 5. Do you put the RT in trailer mode when using the Leisure Lite? ANY tips will greatly be appreciated!! Thanks, Larry.

Spyder Garage

I have three trailers I tow with the RT, including an Aspen Sentry camper similar to the Leisure-Lite. No problem towing as l;ong as you adhere to the RT towing limits...40 lbs maximum tongue weight and 400 pounds maximum combined cargo and trailer weight. Be sure to have enough tongue weight, a minimum of 10% of trailer weight or 15 lbs, whichever is more. The trailer can get squirrely if you don't. Be careful when you pack the trailer, it is easy to overload one with a large box, especially with a full cooler included. For the SE trailer mode should certainly be used. SM owners should keep the rpm up too. I use cruise control frequently, but be sure to stay in a low enough gear so the rpm stays up...5,000 or better. You may have to manually help with the throttle on steep or long hills. Remember that with a trailer you do will not stop as well....especially going downhill. Good situational awareness and leaving a safe distance is a must, as is being careful of speed going into downhill corners. Gas mileage will be affected, but how much is variable. I lose about 3 mpg with the RT-622 at freeway speeds and at least 5 mpg with the square camper. In mountains, at high speeds, or in stiff winds you may lose even more. Carrying a container of gas may be a good idea...or at least a comfort. With careful planning I have never used mine. I can tow 90 mph with my RT-622, and 80 with the camper, but it eats gas like crazy, especially in the mountains. Just load correctly and watch the weight, and you should get along fine. Be sure to do the annual (or sooner) maintenance on the trailer, especially repacking the wheel bearings. Don't overpack the bearings and check for heat buildup at your first opportunity. With a little practice, you will do fine. I recommend attaching the trailer and towing it all the time around home for a week. You'll be old hands by the time you hit the road. Some parking lot practice backing and parking, and learning how the trailer cuts in on corners, may be in order, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Red face Great trailer pulling info!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have three trailers I tow with the RT, including an Aspen Sentry camper similar to the Leisure-Lite. No problem towing as l;ong as you adhere to the RT towing limits...40 lbs maximum tongue weight and 400 pounds maximum combined cargo and trailer weight. Be sure to have enough tongue weight, a minimum of 10% of trailer weight or 15 lbs, whichever is more. The trailer can get squirrely if you don't. Be careful when you pack the trailer, it is easy to overload one with a large box, especially with a full cooler included. For the SE trailer mode should certainly be used. SM owners should keep the rpm up too. I use cruise control frequently, but be sure to stay in a low enough gear so the rpm stays up...5,000 or better. You may have to manually help with the throttle on steep or long hills. Remember that with a trailer you do will not stop as well....especially going downhill. Good situational awareness and leaving a safe distance is a must, as is being careful of speed going into downhill corners. Gas mileage will be affected, but how much is variable. I lose about 3 mpg with the RT-622 at freeway speeds and at least 5 mpg with the square camper. In mountains, at high speeds, or in stiff winds you may lose even more. Carrying a container of gas may be a good idea...or at least a comfort. With careful planning I have never used mine. I can tow 90 mph with my RT-622, and 80 with the camper, but it eats gas like crazy, especially in the mountains. Just load correctly and watch the weight, and you should get along fine. Be sure to do the annual (or sooner) maintenance on the trailer, especially repacking the wheel bearings. Don't overpack the bearings and check for heat buildup at your first opportunity. With a little practice, you will do fine. I recommend attaching the trailer and towing it all the time around home for a week. You'll be old hands by the time you hit the road. Some parking lot practice backing and parking, and learning how the trailer cuts in on corners, may be in order, too.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate all that great info. We're going to camp in the flat part of NC first and get some experience before our mountain trip to Maggie Valley in June. Hope we get good at it. Your info really will come in handy. Hope the hub doesn't chicken out!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawawuu View Post
    Can't tell you how much I appreciate all that great info. We're going to camp in the flat part of NC first and get some experience before our mountain trip to Maggie Valley in June. Hope we get good at it. Your info really will come in handy. Hope the hub doesn't chicken out!!
    Hope you consider coming to Spyderfest in April

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

There is also the spyder owners event right in your own backyard, Maggie Valley June 13th, 14th and Lamonster BBQ on the 15th

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I saw those trailmaster Aspen Sentry trailers at the IMS in Chicago - they are made in Des Plaines, IL. Sure looked nice and out the door at $3800 range. They also have posted the Can-Am instructions for wire-up that some customer (maybe someone on here) put together. Sturdy bed! Do you like yours?
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    I saw those trailmaster Aspen Sentry trailers at the IMS in Chicago - they are made in Des Plaines, IL. Sure looked nice and out the door at $3800 range. They also have posted the Can-Am instructions for wire-up that some customer (maybe someone on here) put together. Sturdy bed! Do you like yours?
    We like ours a lot! Comfortable bed, good shelter, easy to set up and take down.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

WE also use an Aspen Sentry. Very easy to setup and take down. More space than you will need. the newer models have a "basement" which adds more storage down low. You cannot even tell they are behind you. Mine has electric brakes bot I never installed the controller. The zippered pouch pin the top cover is a great place to put gear as you shed it or add it.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Pix to come on Leisure Lite camper on RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You're not "clueless"; it's just "early in the investigatory process" at this time...
    There's a whole bunch of folks in here who've got just this sort of thing all figured out.
    They'll get you pointed in the right direction in no time!
    So keep the rest of us in the loop; and we'll need to see some pictures...
    Bob, I will eventually get those pix on here!

Spyder Garage

Default Maggie Valley

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    There is also the spyder owners event right in your own backyard, Maggie Valley June 13th, 14th and Lamonster BBQ on the 15th

harry
    Yep, Harry. We are registered for the Maggie Valley event. Hopefully my hub doesn't chicken out on pulling the trailer there. We don't live in the mountains and have never even camped out yet with the Leisure Lite. I understand where he is coming from, but we do have a place to stay in Waynesville, so he may not pull it there after all. Really feel we need to get some experience around our coastal plain area first.
    Laura

Spyder Garage

Default Not tried yet

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post

Well, since we're still in the cold weather, we haven't tried the Leisure Lite yet, but I can't see how we won't love it. It sets up in one minute and goes down the same way. Bed is already made inside, so other than making sure it's level, that's about all you do to it. Really looking forward to using it.
    Laura

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Sorry I took so long to answer

Quote Originally Posted by lawawuu View Post
    Husband has several questions since you have the same trailer as we do. Hope you can answer these. We haven't gone anywhere with ours yet. 1. Do you use your cruise control when you pull your Leisure Lite? 2. What's the average speed for pulling? 3. How badly does it affect the gas mileage? 4. Have you ever pulled it in a mountainous area? If so, what are the tips for doing this. We live in a flat area! 5. Do you put the RT in trailer mode when using the Leisure Lite? ANY tips will greatly be appreciated!! Thanks, Larry.
    I haven't checked this thread in awhile. Sorry. Now to answer your ?. I very seldom use cruise when towing, only to rest my hand. I average 65 to 70 mph. To me that's fast enough when towing. Gas mileage 28-30. I live in the mountains, no problems with power or handling. Nancystoy gave some good advice. I couldn't have said it better. I never use trailer mode, just keep my rpms above 4500. I've towed the Leesure-lite over 5000 miles now. Very stable trailer. No problems. The biggest danger is forgetting it's there. We're heading to Yellowstone July 15. Would love to have company. Hope this helps and again sorry for the late answer. Email me if you have ?. ldliebes@mac.com
    Cheers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ldlexpress View Post
    I haven't checked this thread in awhile. Sorry. Now to answer your ?. I very seldom use cruise when towing, only to rest my hand. I average 65 to 70 mph. To me that's fast enough when towing. Gas mileage 28-30. I live in the mountains, no problems with power or handling. Nancystoy gave some good advice. I couldn't have said it better. I never use trailer mode, just keep my rpms above 4500. I've towed the Leesure-lite over 5000 miles now. Very stable trailer. No problems. The biggest danger is forgetting it's there. We're heading to Yellowstone July 15. Would love to have company. Hope this helps and again sorry for the late answer. Email me if you have ?. ldliebes@mac.com
    Cheers

Thanks so much for your reply. We still haven't used our camper yet. Spring has finally arrived here in NC so we'll be planning a trip with our Leisure-Lite soon. Your advice is very helpful! Our big trip concern is this June when we will be headed to the mountains of NC and TN. We live in the coastal plains of NC so all we're used to is flat land, so it's going to be a challenge. I'm so used to driving my RT and changing geers by sound I guess. Practicing lately by watching the RPM's. I'm learning.

Spyder Garage

Default camper trailer towing

My wife recently began towing our camper I always towed it with my trusty Yamaha Venture, I recently sold it with 150000miles and bought another BMW Rt . which I consider too light to tow the camper . I am impressed how well her 2010 RTs tows the Bunkhouse, I should have let her tow it to Alaska, so I guess I will tow the canam trailer on our expeditions , sometimes we live out of them for awhile, but someday I wont have to come back to work. Her ligh module blew in Jan.2010 and has never gave us any trouble since.