Thread: lost panel

Spyder Garage

Default lost panel

My right hand panel (just opposite of the check oil panel) came off my new Spyder with just 390 miles on it. Does anybody think this will be covered by warranty? I knew I should have gotten Swrafey's retainers when this happened on my 2010 a couple of months ago.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer

That stinks! I sure hope it will be covered, good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    My right hand panel (just opposite of the check oil panel) came off my new Spyder with just 390 miles on it. Does anybody think this will be covered by warranty? I knew I should have gotten Swrafey's retainers when this happened on my 2010 a couple of months ago.
    John, I'd get with my dealer and question their original setup of your spyder. On mine it almost takes a crowbar to separate the panel from the body. In fact after struggling several times to take the panel off, I've started using some spit on the prongs before putting them back. I honestly think that the dealer didn't properly put on that panel. I know with my 2010 that they would invariably leave that little hinge/hook thing off when putting the panel back.

Bottom line I'd get with your dealer and stand your ground about this issue.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Swrafey's?

Hmmm, I hate parts falling off when going down the road and the Swrafey's retention system sparked my interest. Does anybody have additional details? I searched for Swrafey's on the site and found it only on this page.

KS
    KS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a good idea to have a retainers but for now I packed a 1000 mph tape just in case i need it.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Hopefully, it will be covered under warranty. Something was wrong to cause it to fall off. Keep us posted and let us know how it all works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I lost my oil cover (left side panel) on my 2010 going to Daytona and johnnyg found it's remains. Ridenot in ocala wanted to charge me $350 for the panel and its parts; I went to another dealer and they got it for free from BRP. I don't know if they will still do it on a new spyder, since i lost mine when they were having a problem with the original grommets not being glued in place. You may try to contact Carlos at BRP and see if he can help you.
    I now have both sides attached with a long twist tie from the frame to the inside of the chrome emblem; they may fall off, but they won't end up on the side of the road!
    Last edited by Recon; 02-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Velcro works wonders.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Spyder View Post
    Hmmm, I hate parts falling off when going down the road and the Swrafey's retention system sparked my interest. Does anybody have additional details? I searched for Swrafey's on the site and found it only on this page.

KS
    pm him at swrafrey2000.I am taking mine to the dealer for 600 mile checkup tomorrow, when I talked to the service manger he said should be no problem for warranty. I have had good dealings with my dealer CFPS so I am sure it will work out well. I will keep all posted. Thanks for the concern. Spyderlovers rock.

Spyder Garage

Default Not a new problem

I've now lost a set, both a left and a right panel. I've since installed Velcro and glued in the grommets. Also, I've replaced teh old grommets with the new ones that have a larger edge to keep them in place.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=damn+grommets

I still think there should be some kind of mechanical fastener.

Hope this helps.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default lost panel

The rubber grommets as installed at the factory are a defective product, or at least a defective installation. They will not stay in without an aftermarket modification. Use those words when addressing the dealer if he starts to back peddle.
    Can-Am Spyder RT 2011 Limited with Ultimate Seat, Lamonster Highway Pegs and Bracket, Garmin 650, Trailer Hitch and Diamondplated Trailer.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=
    I still think there should be some kind of mechanical fastener.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I like many had the loose panel problem

See my posts when it was first noted ref Loose Panels in 2010

Spyder RT - Gromet fix

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Screw-Problem

Spyder RT Panel fIx

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...004#post297004

Even if you just drill at the bottom of the panel and place a longer 6mm bolt No 55 through the panel this is where a bolt is used to hold the Water Deflector Ass'y.No 35 and Velcro on the top of the panel this will ensure the panel will not come loose

Mine has been on now for over 2 yrs I did also fix velcro on the top and now find you have to pull hard to remove them as they are well
    secured
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default lost panel

Well, my dealer says there is no problem replacing my panel, I should have known better than to even think they would not take care of it. I hope I am allowed to say this on the forum: Central Fl. Power sports is a great dealer.

Spyder Garage

Well, my dealer says there is no problem replacing my panel, I should have known better than to even think they would not take care of it. I hope I am allowed to say this on the forum: Central Fl. Power sports is a great dealer.
    Always nice to hear of a good dealer and glad to hear it all worked out for you.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888