Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Does any one know of a fix yet? ST-S Steering???

I just traded my 2012 RSS SE 5 in on a 2013 STS SE 5.
    I love it! I'm 6' 4" tall and was just cramped on the RSS. The STS fits me so much better with the Floor boards, the taller profile and higher handle bars and oh and the adjustable wind shield, it fits me Great. The Shifting Is greatly improved. And not having to man handle the steering is definately a plus. The sensitivity of the steering Freeked me out! I am having the same issues as the other Spyder Riders on this Board! it seams to wonder. I have notaced that a lighter grip helps. but don't know if that is the complete fix. does any one know if BRP knows about this issue. I really thought/think somthing was or is loose or out of alinement. I only have 150 miles on it So im going to try and get used to it but I still think somthing is Wrong. wish I could dampin down the sensitiivity and see if that helped!

Spyder Garage

I just had the am/fm stero installed and had them check on the alinement. they say its ok. and that im just use to the RS-S and that every thing is fine. and that I just need to loosen my grip and relax! i'm still not likeing it! im wandering if a fox racing shock kit is avalabile? don't want to spend any more Money on a brand new bike!!!! when i feel BRP Should have known and fixed it. But I might Have no Choice! almost 300 miles and still no change!!!!! Don't get me wrong I Love it. but the Steering Freeks me out!

Spyder Garage

Did they use BRP's new procedure for the 2013s to check the alignment, or just eyeball it? You can't just look things over. They need to use the 2013 procedure, that was released just recently (this week?) Wandering, and following every bump and grade in the road, is a symptom of inadequate toe-in. Have them look again...or just insist that they fix it...period! They have an obligation, whether they understand that or not. They can contact BRP dealer tech support for assistance.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I dont know Scotty I will ask them Because this is exactly what my Spyder is doing! And thanks for the reply...
    Last edited by kubie; 02-02-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same experience on my 2012 RT SE5. The more I put more miles the more I learned and understand how thisworks. I'm glad that I did not panic in every situations. I posted my exprienced here and got most of the answers with ourfamilies. Good luck and God Bless
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I rode my ST Limited yesterday about 20 miles on highway with a looser grio and was somewhat better but still think should not wander so much. Had almost 20k on my RS so know a little how should handle. Have appoint ment next Saturday at dealer for oil change. Already indormed them to call BRP and get any updates for suspension. Hopefully all will go well.

Spyder Garage

It took me 2.5 hours of riding the ST and finally using only my fingers (not palm grip) on the handles to finally get the feel, i.e. feel like i had control without worrying about flittering around the highway. A buddy of mine has one he has ridden substantially more and says he is completely used to it now and that while it was a transition for him from his RS that he is happy with it now that he is used to it.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    It took me 2.5 hours of riding the ST and finally using only my fingers (not palm grip) on the handles to finally get the feel, i.e. feel like i had control without worrying about flittering around the highway. A buddy of mine has one he has ridden substantially more and says he is completely used to it now and that while it was a transition for him from his RS that he is happy with it now that he is used to it.

I Hope your Right Biker Doc. Im Going to keep riding it and try to figure the best way to ride.... Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted on what happens. At first, many thought it was the "death grip syndrome" that was causing the control problems.

Then....they came up with the fact that some new 2013's came from the factory with glitches in the alignment.

The fact that you are a previous owner tells me that you should not be experiencing the "death grip syndrome" to much. IMO there should not be that much difference in the new .

It is important that the dealer follow the specified procedure to check on the alignment issues--not just a cursory glance or measurement--if that is what they are doing. I can understand your frustration with the purchase of the newest and best, and then have mechanical issues from the start.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Please keep us posted on what happens. At first, many thought it was the "death grip syndrome" that was causing the control problems.

Then....they came up with the fact that some new 2013's came from the factory with glitches in the alignment.

The fact that you are a previous owner tells me that you should not be experiencing the "death grip syndrome" to much. IMO there should not be that much difference in the new .

It is important that the dealer follow the specified procedure to check on the alignment issues--not just a cursory glance or measurement--if that is what they are doing. I can understand your frustration with the purchase of the newest and best, and then have mechanical issues from the start.
    Today, 03:35 PM
    akspyderman

Beleve me when I say The steering is Completely diffrent. My RS-S was more like steering a four weeler! you had to man handle it, but it didn't wander in a slight wind or a crack in the road and when it wanders and you try and correct it,even with the tips of your fingers it will over steer. And if you let it it can really freek you out! It did me the first time!!! So I drove it back to the dealer and told them, and they told me not to try and over power it and relax my grip. Well this helped a little bit... I guess... but. like I said before if I could tighten up the steering or dampen it so it wasn't so touchy I think it would help. my next Move is to call on Monday. If I can, and see if they know about the new 2013 alignment procedures, and see if they will check it with them. then?????? I don't know!
    Last edited by kubie; 02-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted. I have not had a chance to test drive a 2013 ST yet, but I am going to do so once the dealer gets em in stock--April/May. I am going to do a test drive so I can see what everyone is talking about. Thanks for your reply back. I have almost 60,000 miles on four assorted spyders--so I am looking forward to testing out a 2013 and seeing the differences thereoff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I must be lucky. Have about 60 miles on my STS now and it tracks fine on the highway. I rode with one hand for a while just to see if it would wonder. I did feel it move some once in a while with cross winds, but nothing like my 08 did. I wouldn't trade back to my 08 GS for anything!

The steering is very smooth, not as much effort needed as the old Spyder, but I've had no feeling that it is over sensitive.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I have 40,000 GS miles under my belt and 600 on the ST-S and still not comfortable with my steering. Something is not right, it flits one way or the other, and then oversteers when you try to correct it. A set of RT shocks will do wonders for for the side to side sway you get while trying to keep it straight, you should be able to find some used for around $100, for now that is. With the RT shocks on the highway it isn't as bad, but around town the front end is always hunting for a place to go. Mine is also much harder to steer than my GS, I checked the DPS, it's working. Glad I still have my GS to drive while I am waiting for this to get sorted out. I wouldn't trade my GS for anything, not yet anyway!
    Last edited by capt.jim; 02-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I have 40,000 GS miles under my belt and 600 on the ST-S and still not comfortable with my steering. Something is not right, it flits one way or the other, and then oversteers when you try to correct it. A set of RT shocks will do wonders for for the side to side sway you get while trying to keep it straight, you should be able to find some used for around $100, for now that is. With the RT shocks on the highway it isn't as bad, but around town the front end is always hunting for a place to go. Mine is also much harder to steer than my GS, I checked the DPS, it's working. Glad I still have my GS to drive while I am waiting for this to get sorted out. I wouldn't trade my GS for anything, not yet anyway!
    The darting is a classic sign of inadequate toe-in. Have it aligned.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

From a previous post i read it said that the new procedure for alignment on a 2013 should take at least three to four hours removeing the frunk and assembly to properly set up for the alignment so if your Dealer has short cut the procedure than maybe they havent been set up for the new alignment procedures?
    Mike

Spyder Garage

A set of RT shocks will do wonders for for the side to side sway you get while trying to keep it straight
    I've got no sway, way less lean than my GS. The STS handles like its on rails...
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    Today, 03:35 PM
    akspyderman

Beleve me when I say The steering is Completely diffrent. My RS-S was more like steering a four weeler! you had to man handle it, but it didn't wander in a slight wind or a crack in the road and when it wanders and you try and correct it,even with the tips of your fingers it will over steer. And if you let it it can really freek you out! It did me the first time!!! So I drove it back to the dealer and told them, and they told me not to try and over power it and relax my grip. Well this helped a little bit... I guess... but. like I said before if I could tighten up the steering or dampen it so it wasn't so touchy I think it would help. my next Move is to call on Monday. If I can, and see if they know about the new 2013 alignment procedures, and see if they will check it with them. then?????? I don't know!
    Relaxing your grip, getting used to the new ride, all these things sound good, but if the bike is twitchy and wanders around on its own then something is wrong, most likely too much toe out.
    If they don't fix it, find another dealer.
    DAMHIKT
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Ok ya' all Im back with some good news!!!!

Ok ya' all I’m back with some good news!!!! My Spyder is fixed. It’s fun to ride again. Here’s what happened I talked to the dealer after I ask for advice from all of you, and after the service manager and I talked for a while, we agreed that I would keep driving it till the six hundred mile Service, and then they would perform the 2013 Alignment Procedures, Along with the six hundred mile services. I took it in on Thursday and got it back yesterday! The Alignment was all out of wack and the tires had way to much air! BRP Recommends13 LBS in the front tires mine had 23 in the left and 29 in the right. The service Manager told me he was on the phone most of the day on Thursday with BRP Tech Support. And they took pics and documented everything for BRP because they have seen this problem with some of the 2013 ST's it runs a lot better and with very little wander now. The wind still seems to push it around a little but I suspect this is due to the Light weight Shocks. I'll never understand why Brp would put that light of a shock on the ST-S. I will probably change them out some day but for now its 95% better then it was! Thanks again for all the help and support! And Good Riding!!!

Kubie
    Last edited by kubie; 02-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Have the New 2013 alignment for the STS done!!!!! And have your service Manager Call tec support they fixed mine! and i had the same problems as you.

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it taken care of. I'd recommend more than the 13 psi factory recommendation. The tire sidewalls say a minimum of 15 psi (at least for the earlier tires) and that usually is for safety reasons. Most Spyders handle better with a little more air in the front. I'd try something near 17-18 to start...usually no more than 20. Just to set the record staright, airing the tires is the dealer's responsibility during the PDI, so they dropped the ball on that one. As you have seen, unequal front tire pressures can lead to a wild ride...especially when combined with alignment problems. Enjoy the Ryde!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I also have steering problems with my 2013 RT Limited. Detected it on the drive home from the dealer. It is back at the dealer waiting for a solution from BRP. An aligment was done and did not help. So now it being held hostage at the dealer, BRP told my dealer not to release it till it is fixed. The problem starts at speeds above 50mph, varies with the road conditons. Hoping for a quick solution.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    I also have steering problems with my 2013 RT Limited. Detected it on the drive home from the dealer. It is back at the dealer waiting for a solution from BRP. An aligment was done and did not help. So now it being held hostage at the dealer, BRP told my dealer not to release it till it is fixed. The problem starts at speeds above 50mph, varies with the road conditons. Hoping for a quick solution.
    Hopefully your dealer is aware that the alignment procedure and equipment has changed. Using the old procedure and specs would fail to address the problem. We hope you find an answer soon.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Pressure

When we took delivery of our 2011 RS it had 27PSI in the front tires. Wild ride, could not control it. Did a pressure check and droped to the 17psi. in the front, my what a differant ride. Dealers need to do better! Allways check there work you never know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first thing everyone should check is the front tire pressure....

I never realized how big of a difference the tire pressure makes on the spyder until a few weeks ago when I had my tires moved over to different rims. The tire shop put 32psi in the tires and the ride home was......let's just say.....interesting! It really causes the front end to move around quite a bit! Back to 18psi and everything settled down nicely and back to normal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Does any one know of a fix yet? ST-S Steering???

I decided to check my pressures on my ST.

Fronts: 14
    Rear: 20

Although I'm not feeling anything wrong with my steering and my first Spyder nothing to compare it too. I'm gonna add air and bring it up to the manual specs of Fronts:15 and Rear: 28. See what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD