Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gorilla 8017 Alarm?

Any body have this alarm system on their bikes? Installation looks simple enough but wanted feed back on the effectiveness.

There is one feature designed for two wheeler bikes being the "Tilt". I suspect this works via a mercury switch, now wondering if anyone has found a way to mount the switch so instead of the tilt function
    (that is useless on our Spyders) it would go off if someone climbed onto the Spyder? Or maybe mounted under the seat to detect when some one climbs on uninvited!
    Last edited by Rotaxer; 02-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have the Scorpio SR-i900 system on our Spyder. I use the perimeter sensor feature with this system because the tilt isn't effective. I only enable the alarm when in parking lots or overnight hotel stays. Works very well. Keeps the kiddies off. I didn't install the ignition kill feature either. I didn't want to create any warranty problems if I wired it into the ignition system. The only connections are to the battery and lights. The remote RFID is a nice feature. It will notify me if the alarm is tripped (up to a half mile) and I can turn the alarm off when not needed to extend the battery charge on the remote.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I cut the tilt switch off and installed a regular contact switch to alarm my GPS. If some one is careful they can remove the Zumo but as soon as it leaves the power pod it goes off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I have the Scorpio SR-i900 system on our Spyder. I use the perimeter sensor feature with this system because the tilt isn't effective. I only enable the alarm when in parking lots or overnight hotel stays. Works very well. Keeps the kiddies off. I didn't install the ignition kill feature either. I didn't want to create any warranty problems if I wired it into the ignition system. The only connections are to the battery and lights. The remote RFID is a nice feature. It will notify me if the alarm is tripped (up to a half mile) and I can turn the alarm off when not needed to extend the battery charge on the remote.
    i also looked at this system, like the perimeter warning feature

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I cut the tilt switch off and installed a regular contact switch to alarm my GPS. If some one is careful they can remove the Zumo but as soon as it leaves the power pod it goes off.
    So I am hoping to maybe put a contact switch under the seat or something, if anyone thought of something inventive!

Spyder Garage

That will work, buy a normally open momentary switch, when the seat is lifted it will close the circuit and sound the alarm.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That will work, buy a normally open momentary switch, when the seat is lifted it will close the circuit and sound the alarm.
    I was more interested in having it set off alarm when some one climbs on it. Thinking about it a bit more I have added a Utopia back rest and could have it set up so when unattended the back rest would be forward = not activating a switch and if someone climbs on they would push it back and it would activate the switch and set off the alarm. Now I just need to figure something out and tie it into which ever alarm I get and hope fully use the unnecessary tilt circuit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Envy View Post
    Any body have this alarm system on their bikes? Installation looks simple enough but wanted feed back on the effectiveness.

There is one feature designed for two wheeler bikes being the "Tilt". I suspect this works via a mercury switch, now wondering if anyone has found a way to mount the switch so instead of the tilt function
    (that is useless on our Spyders) it would go off if someone climbed onto the Spyder? Or maybe mounted under the seat to detect when some one climbs on uninvited!
    It's works for me. Keeps the uninvited away.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Envy View Post

I installed the Gorilla alarm on my GS. First install I used the sticky velcro patches included with the unit. It did not work worth a darn. Second time I strapped it in with cable ties and it works great now. I mostly used the warn away mode, it will give a quick squawk if someone touches it and the remote will vibrate if you are close enough.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The alarm is plenty sensitive enough with arming the seat. As soon as some one tries to mount the bike it will go off. I have to desentise mine when I get back on my feet, it goes off even if I put the key in the ignition which is probaly a good thing but it also goes off with passing cars when parallel parked.

Spyder Garage

The alarm is plenty sensitive enough with arming the seat. As soon as some one tries to mount the bike it will go off. I have to desentise mine when I get back on my feet, it goes off even if I put the key in the ignition which is probaly a good thing but it also goes off with passing cars when parallel parked.
    I had to lower the sensitivity or get too many false alarms. Easy enough to do when you figure out what buttons to push and how fast.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the feed back!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Installed the Gorilla alarm on my Spyder and all went well. I rigged up a switch on the left Seal floor board that if stepped on when the alarm is armed it will set off the alarm. Works well! I just used a momentary switch tied into the "Tilt" circuit which is useless on our Spyders. Bob

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default 8017 Installed

I just finished installing the Gorilla 8017. It went well. The tilt switch plugs into the wire harness. I left it off as there is no need for it. I installed the alarm under the top of the console module. (behind the dash) I used the stick-on velcro. I put the 3M adhesive activator on it to make sure it stayed put. It has a warn-away feature that gives one loud chirp if the bike it touched. You can adjust the sensitivity that set off the alarm. Believe me, if you set on the foot pegs or floor boards it will go off. At the sensitivity I have set moving the handlebars gives a warn-away chirp. Climb on it and the alarm will scare the crap out of you.

I'm still trying to make the two-way pager work though. Just found some FAQs on the Gorilla web site that should help.

I'll take pictures tomorrow evening and post them showing how I installed it.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a problem with the paging at first too. When I first installed the alarm and connected the power it said you had about 10 seconds to program the two remotes. I did not have the antennae connected yet, so once the antenna was connected I disconnected the power a reconnected it and reprogrammed the remotes again and the paging then worked.

I have mine mounted just under the airbox on the left side using the metal bracket. I have the sensitivity set maximum but I could climb onto the Spyder without setting off the alarm. But now the second I set foot on the floorboard it goes off and the paging system shows the tilt alarm so I know someone has tried to get on it.

Spyder Garage

Hi ... I bought the Rlink 1100SE and it is amazing...links to your phone to set the alarm on AND see exactly where it is on map... signed up for the package then went on line to see where it was... the shop that installed it had just moved it out beside their building and the map showed the move and when they did it ... Called the shop and asked the tech to go out by the vehicle and wait while I tried to set the alarm on from 5 miles away on my phone... one chirp is what he heard and seconds later my Spyder sent me a message saying ARMED... real cool... has a link to facebook so friends can follow you on your trips... OR NOT
    you must look at this before commiting to any other system

Spyder Garage

Default SR-i900 Alarm

Hey, For those with the Scorpio i900 alarm has anyone programed the manual override?
    I really like the alarm and it does keep the inquisitive hands away. I emailed Scorpio support and explained that when I enter into step # 3 the Alarm rearms itself. this was the reply Hello,

The manual override procedure at step 2 asks that you finish with the ignition on. If the alarm is installed correctly, there is no way it can arm itself with the ignition on.

Check to be sure you finish Step 2 with the ignition on. If the alarm is arming with the ignition on, contact the installer to correct the installation.

Keep in mind the manual override is not compatible with all motorcycles, or those with LED lights or aftermarket turn signal modifications.

Thank you.

Aritronix Ltd
    www.scorpioalarms.com
    www.rlink.com