Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Battery Charging: Can't go through the rear cigaretter lighter on an RT anymore

On my new 2013 RT I discovered the the rear cigarette lighter is no longer hot after the bike is powered off for 30seconds. The previous RT all had always on sockets. Besides not allowing you to charger your cell phone for a bit while your off the bike, you can no longer plug in a battery tender via the cigaretter lighter which was soooooooooo nice. Now that the battery is upfront anyone have any good ideas for allowing a quick connect option for charging the battery on 2013s? I ride through the winter (kansas it was 7 out today) and need my heated clothing this drains the battery over time so I have to keep it charged regularly, so a quick connect/disconnect is needed. Thoughts?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Pig tails fused and direct to the battery, All tenders and heated jackets come with them, I never used a lighter plug on any of my machines.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Battery Charging: Can't go through the rear cigaretter lighter on an RT anymore

I also learned the hard way about the socket powering off. Brand new bike dead battery already, had trickle on it doing nothing lol- dealer replaced battery.

Jason Schwartz
    Long Island, New York
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason Schwartz
    Lindenhurst NY
    2013 Spyder RT Blackcurrant

Spyder Garage

Default Battery conections

Anything you need constant power for is best connected directly to the battery. Tenders,heated garments,charging outlets,etc.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Remember to keep ur rpms at or above 4k to allow charging of the battery while using ur heated gear.

-Mike
    <Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK we know about connecting heated clothing. Can anybody answer his question about connecting a battery tender on the 2013?
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    OK we know about connecting heated clothing. Can anybody answer his question about connecting a battery tender on the 2013?
    It was already answered...fused pigtail connected to the battery (or possibly the revised jumper connections. You could also still use alligator clips on the jumper terminals, or install a Powerlet that is hot full time. I did the latter on Nancy's GS (in addition to one that is switched). Lots of ways to skin this cat.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-01-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Same as the heated jacket, Pig tail it, I've used that method since the last Century.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Pig tail it, I've used that method since the last Century.
    Bob,
    When you put it that way; it really makes you sound old!

Using the plug in the top trunk was way easier on the older models due to battery placement. The new location makes it much more accessible for wiring up electricals directly to it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile

One easy fix is to trade your '13 for my '11!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all of the replies. Let me clarify what I'm trying to do. With the battery moving to the front of the bike, the access is now under a panel under the frunk lid. The goal is to come up with an elegant, safe and quick way to charge the battery. I have visions of adding a marine female cigarette lighter adapter to the panel under the frunk lid. Having to lift the frunk lid and the take the panel off once to twice a week would get old. I also worry about the panel securing plastic bolt breaking or wearing out. I'm also very concerned about doing something that will let water in during a rainstorm. Having a pig tail sticking out could be a leak source or something worse. Ink water following the cable to the battery.

Thoughts ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbfk View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies. Let me clarify what I'm trying to do. With the battery moving to the front of the bike, the access is now under a panel under the frunk lid. The goal is to come up with an elegant, safe and quick way to charge the battery. I have visions of adding a marine female cigarette lighter adapter to the panel under the frunk lid. Having to lift the frunk lid and the take the panel off once to twice a week would get old. I also worry about the panel securing plastic bolt breaking or wearing out. I'm also very concerned about doing something that will let water in during a rainstorm. Having a pig tail sticking out could be a leak source or something worse. Ink water following the cable to the battery.

Thoughts ?
    I'd recommend a Powerlet instead of a cigarette outlet. They are smaller, and provide a more secure connection. An easy place to install one is at the flat corner of the speaker grill. Mine are 1" down from the dash and 1" in from the glovebox. On Nancy's GS I use one in a similar location for charging. It is weatherproof, and you don't need to open anything but its lid to charge. I have that capability on my Spyder, too, but I use the rear trunk on my 2011. An added feature to using a Powerlet outlet near the dash is that the charger cord can be looped around the hand grip as a reminder that you are plugged in. BTW, if you installed a pigtail, you could leave it in the frunk, just like the outlet, and the ones that come with chargers have a cap to keep out the weather when not plugged in, anyway.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    One easy fix is to trade your '13 for my '11!

One good reason to follow and keep track of this Love it.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

One Good thing is that tightening the battery terminals (once in a while) should be easier than taking off panels and Pulling up that plastic piece under the seat to get to one of the terminals!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if you could just run 12 volt power to the top trunk outlet from another source so that it remains hot all of the time??

Spyder Garage

im with you bob, that would be the easiest way to solve that problem...
    gary (ô¿ô)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter

Spyder Garage

In the 2013 RT manual p.153 it says you can make the rear 12V power outlet run all the time by changing the fuse from the 6 slot to 7 slot in the right fuse box.
    "When fuse 6 is installed, 12 V power outlet is only operational when ignition switch is at ON position. When fuse 7 is installed, 12V power outlet is always operational."

I did this and it works.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinelady View Post
    In the 2013 RT manual p.153 it says you can make the rear 12V power outlet run all the time by changing the fuse from the 6 slot to 7 slot in the right fuse box.
    "When fuse 6 is installed, 12 V power outlet is only operational when ignition switch is at ON position. When fuse 7 is installed, 12V power outlet is always operational."

I did this and it works.
    Good information. Thanks. When all else fails, read the instructions.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Red face Thanks for finding that in the manual..

I will be making that change very soon. Just took delivery on my 2013 RT Limited today. It was the first one delivered in Central Florida. It's brother was delivered right after ours. An exact duplicate!
    Joining the Spyder Movement and having fun with our 2013 RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Battery tender makes an adapter that plugs into the plug used for heated gear.
    Cheers!

Spyder Garage

I did this and it works.
    You Made a Lot of New Owners Happy!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have fused Gerbing pigtails attached directly to the battery and coming out the square hole under the saddle that the rear passenger sensor wire comes out. I zip tied the pigtails to that wire loom and just stuff them down the hole when not in use. The zip ties make sure I can always fish them back out when needed.

Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sunshine, Thanks a MILLION for doing the heavy-lifting on this one! You've made a lot of 2013 RT jockeys happy!
    And (Her second post, and she's already giving good advice!)

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on page 1 of the manual it says men don't read manuals thank you. she will have to travel to ft-worth and work on my 2011 when i need help.welcome
    Last edited by scooterexpress; 02-05-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Battery Charging: Can't go through the rear cigaretter lighter on an RT an

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sunshine, Thanks a MILLION for doing the heavy-lifting on this one! You've made a lot of 2013 RT jockeys happy!
    And (Her second post, and she's already giving good advice!)
    Just did this today on a friends 2013 and it works! It's the LEFT HAND frunk fuse panel fuse that needs moving!

-Mike
    <Sent using Tapatalk>