Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gun question. To carry or not to carry.

It must be the Canada in me, but I have seen a few guys post about side arms in here. I am just curious why the need to carry? I have to admit, I haven't been in a lot of the USA. Just the north to mid-west from New York to Washington State, which is probably more than most Canadians. I love to visit the USA.I have a pistol. Never felt I needed it on a road trip. The only places I ever felt concerned for my safety were parts of Michigan and Illinois, and a perhaps some of Indiana. I have relatives that live in Texas in the winter, and they have never expressed a concern. Am I missing something? When I get on the Spyder and venture south, should I be carrying where I can? Looking for advise? I have been in some of the biggest holes in Canada, and made it out. I am not try to stir up the big gun debate, just wonder what people think about the need to carry.

Spyder Garage

Default Only you are responsible for you

You never know when you are going to need the firearm but when you do need it, it can mean the difference between life and death. Why wouldn’t you carry one on a trip? Most trips I never see it and it is in the front case between my knees. You cannot predict what situations you may encounter in life. I try to be ready for all of them I can imagine.
    In this modern world we live in, where we give long leashes to crazy people, make excuses for previous dangerous/sociopathic behaviors and actions, empty our prisons early and have a general social disdain for once commonplace morals and values, there are, in fact, thousands of opportunists walking the streets and highways. The police cannot be everywhere nor should they be. Your personal protection is your responsiblity. Get handgun training, practice regularly and be ready to act to save yourself from someone who wants what you have and will kill or injure you to get it. Calling 911 will be worthless in an emergency.

I do not know about you but I am too old to take a beating and too young to die. I do not look for fights but I am going to protect my property and self, period. In Texas, major crime has dropped considerably since conceal/carry rights of Texas citizens. You rarely hear of CHL citizens shooting someone without cause and there are hundreds of examples every year where crimes were averted because of citizens having a firearm. A better question would be, “Why not carry”?
    Last edited by AlamoRyder; 01-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTspyderssatx View Post
    You never know when you are going to need the firearm but when you do need it, it can mean the difference between life and death. Why wouldn’t you carry one on a trip? Most trips I never see it and it is in the front case between my knees. You cannot predict what situations you may incounter in life. I try to be ready for all of them I can imagine.
    In this modern world we live in where we give long leashes to crazy people, make excuses for previous dangerous/sociopathic behaviors and actions, empty our prisons early and have a general social disdain for once commonplace morals and values, there are, in fact, thousands of opportunists walking the streets and highways. The police cannot be everywhere nor should they be. Your personal protection is your responsiblity. Get handgun training, practice regularly and be ready to act to save yourself from someone who wants what you have and will kill or injure you to get it. Calling 911 will be worthless in an emergency.

I do not know about you but I am too old to take a beating and too young to die. I do not look for fights but I am going to protect my property and self, period. In Texas, major crime has dropped considerably since conceal/carry rights of Texas citizens. You rarely hear of CHL citizens shooting someone without cause and there are hundreds of examples every year where crimes were averted because of citizens having a firearm. A better question would be, “Why not carry”?
    I agree with you 100% and that why I carry
    army spyder.jpgPGR.jpgfifth.jpg

Spyder Garage

A gun is like a parachute....if you need one and don't have one, chances are you will never need one again. Posted by a FB friend.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default hand gun carry or not

I agree with the gentle man from TX. Life in the USA probably is not as valued here as it is in CA? FL is where I live and while we have a high crime rate it is not as high as other states. The need to self protect can not be disregarded. If it were me in your situation I would probably do it.

i have a friend here that. Went into a conveince store on a business trip and was confronted by two want to be bad guys that demanded his money. The big mistake they made is they only brought a hunting knife to what could have been a gun fight, the local police got involved and he went on his way a lot shook up but alive.

Let your decision. Be yours. Made wisely. Keep it. Secured and bear this in your mind. Most law enforcement officers consider a three step movement to get it out to be a safe procedure. Around here one to open the compartment two retrieve the weapon and case three remove it from its container or case.

Better to be judged by twelve then be carried by six.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default concealed carry

I live in Wi. and have a concealed carry and I do almost every where my wife and I go. You better make sure if your concealed carry is good in other states. I plan to come to Canada this summer and I understand I can not bring my gun in. All you need to do is get on the computer and check first to see where you can carry. Wi. is good for a lot of different states. Good luck and be SAFE!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Before Texas had a concealed carry law, George Hennard drove his truck into a Luby's in Killeen and stepped out shooting. The end result was 26 people dead and many others injured. Several of the victims were huddled under tables trying to hide when he stood over them and fired the fatal shots. Police officers in a training class across the street ran to the restaraunt and engaged Hennard in a gunfight, killing him and ending the slaughter.

There probably weren't many people in Luby's that day that ever felt the need to carry a gun. Chances are you will never need it, but if you do, having one certainly beats the alternative.

I believe in the 2nd amendment. Law abiding citizens should have the right to carry and protect themselves when threatened. That being said, if you aren't comfortable carrying then you shouldn't carry.

Spyder Garage

Just this evening on the national news there was a segment on a woman in Detroit who lost all three of her sons to shootings. Yes, they were gang related but the last one to die had quit the gang and was trying to make a new life for himself. There have been several home invasions too. One took place just a few miles down the road from us. One of the perps was killed by the home owner and the other fled. There is a general disregard for morality world wide anymore. I worked hard for what I have and I plan on keeping it. And I will protect my family and friends as long as I'm able to. Carrying is a choice that we all have. It's a choice you have to make. No one should tell you one way or the other. But I will say this, if you feel the need to pull it, you better be ready to use it. As someone said earlier, check applicable laws. That permit is not good in all states.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Poogs View Post
    It must be the Canada in me, but I have seen a few guys post about side arms in here. I am just curious why the need to carry? I have to admit, I haven't been in a lot of the USA. Just the north to mid-west from New York to Washington State, which is probably more than most Canadians. I love to visit the USA.I have a pistol. Never felt I needed it on a road trip. The only places I ever felt concerned for my safety were parts of Michigan and Illinois, and a perhaps some of Indiana. I have relatives that live in Texas in the winter, and they have never expressed a concern. Am I missing something? When I get on the Spyder and venture south, should I be carrying where I can? Looking for advise? I have been in some of the biggest holes in Canada, and made it out. I am not try to stir up the big gun debate, just wonder what people think about the need to carry.
    i agree with RTSpyderssatx and others as to why I carry. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing so you should not feel you have to.

In the States, each state has their own laws concerning firearms, carrying concealed/open, etc. I know Kansas, where I live, and Missouri have a reciprocal relationship, so I am permitted to carry there based on my Kansas permit. Someone posted advice on this board about researching the laws in every state you plan to go through. If you have a Canadian permit I don't know the extent it will be recognized in annoy given state.

From this discussion and others on Spyderlovers, it sounds like any who are not carrying will be well protected, nonetheless.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default CARRY LAWS

Wonderful app for smart phones only 99 cents will help keep you legal. legalheat instanly see laws for all states and is continually up dated.

Spyder Garage

It like Bruiser was saying.. It's a matter of choice.
    I got my CCW as soon as it was available in North Carolina. My wife went through the class also.
    I seldom carry when on the Spyder or motorcycle, but always when in the car. We like to ride in state parks and I don't think NC allows weapons. If it were federal it would be OK.
    Fortunately, we have never needed to draw a weapon.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Some people carry because they can't keep a cop in their pocket.

Spyder Garage

Wow! Reason and Logic! You just don't see much of it anymore.

I know people who have carried a spare tire all their life and never needed it. People carry fire extinguishers, spare fuses, extra fuel, you name it. And if you ask most, they only used these items when someone else who didn't carry them needed some help.

If you don't need a firearm and you have one, gravy! If you need a firearm and don't have one..... Pick your event.

Virtually every one of the politicians who are against firearms for you and I carry, have armed guards protecting them and send their kids to schools with armed guards. This tells me they DO believe in the 2nd amendment.... for some.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And somehow; I don't feel as if I can add a whole lot to this thread...
    Great job guys!
    NRA Benefactor 01.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have dual citizenship as I was born in Canada. When I visit friends in Canada I have to leave my weapon at home. I don't feel it is unsafe there but I feel a bit naked without it. Canada doesn't have much of a gun culture but you have your share of crazies up there.

My reason to carry is that I really don't trust law enforcement to protect me. If I call 911 no matter where I may be, the response time for help is going to run from twenty minutes to two hours. If you say 'shots fired' they may bust their ass to get there faster but by then it could be much too late. I don't want it to be too late for me or my wife. We both have CCW permits, we both spend a lot of time on the range, we're both in our seventies and we both would like to enjoy our eighties.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    My reason to carry is that I really don't trust law enforcement to protect me. If I call 911 no matter where I may be, the response time for help is going to run from twenty minutes to two hours. If you say 'shots fired' they may bust their ass to get there faster but by then it could be much too late. I don't want it to be too late for me or my wife.

Spyder Garage

Because I have the legal right to do so, provided to me by the constatution , and the heros that have died for that right. ------Budro

Spyder Garage

To me a gun is like a seat belt or an airbag. I don't get in my car planning to get in an accident but if I do, I am glad they are there.

My wife and I both have permits and carry anytime we leave the house. If we encounter a "Gun Free" zone or business, we will either ignore the sign or go somewhere else. We will also leave a card with the owner that says " No Guns = No Money".

Thank the Lord neither of us have ever had to use the weapons but we have had an accident. Thank God for the Airbag and Seatbelt.

Great thread, Lots of good advice.

Spyder Garage

According to the US Surpreme Court, the police are under NO legal obligation to protect the public. (Only themselves and the donuts)

You can check on the website www.handgunlaws.us to see where you can and can't carry. It will also show what states your carry permit is good in or not. That's why I have three permits for more covered states.

Spyder Garage

"Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't EVER carry out of fear... you'll be ineffective if the chips ever fall!
    You carry prepared!
    Sorry; but I need to shout this...

Firearms ownership is a right that carries with it a tremendous responsibility
    Simply put; it's advanced citizenship...

Spyder Garage

I have a CCW for NY state and I do carry.

I shot and killed my first of many humans when I was 18 in Vietnam. Used to hunt bad guys/groups in the USA. There are others on this site that have probably done the same. The purpose of saying this is so you know where I am coming from.

I have found that a sane person has a problem taking another persons life. A not so sane person is another story.

Lag time is the time between when you pull a weapon and fire it at a person. If you are sane and have never shot at least 5 - 10 people your lag time is going to be higher/longer than that of someone that is mentallly altered, for whatever reason, drugs, drunk, under a lot of stress, insane, etc.. Only a considerable amount of training that drills into your head that you have to do this will cut your lag time down. For some people all the training in the world will not help you to actually pull the trigger in a quick time, or pull it all, not that that makes you anything but a good person.

Just saying you won't know until it happens. Keep this in mind if/when the time arises. Always be mentally prepared to kill before you pull a weapon on another person, and do it as fast as possible.

Just my 2 sense/cents.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

True... but WarTime is another matter!
    I agree with your assessment; most folks will fall short when the hits the fan. You won't have time for that steely-eyed gaze through the sights...
    You'll have time to pull, point, fire and crap yourself... that's about it!
    There's nothing romantic about it, and you're not a hero; you're just a survivor! (If you get a bit lucky!)
    Now that I've depressed everybody:
    RECOGNIZING the start of an ugly situation helps to tip the odds in your favor; live life alert!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I realize this is going to make me the most unpopular kid on this block (Gunlovers.com) but I believe it is a matter of choice.
    The Second Amendment guarantees it.

But, here's the part that will make me unpopular.
    I think if you are afraid and that if in your mind you can construct a scenario where you, as Dirty Harry, triumph over the bad guys, then by all means carry.
    It makes you feel better and there is nothing wrong in that.

For me, I choose not to live my life afraid.
    Flame retardant shorts are on.
    No heartburn here Sparks.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

RECOGNIZING the start of an ugly situation helps to tip the odds in your favor; live life alert!

Amen Brother!! I call it situational awareness.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972