Spyder Garage

Default Cruise-mate cruise control

Just installed Cruise-mate cruise control on my 2011 Spyder RS. Easy installation ( just make sure you use the jigs for re-drilling and tapping the throttle housing). It is a clean setup with just spring loaded lever that comes from the bottom of the throttle housing for holding the throttle open via friction. Have used on the highway and with my newly installed ICSI hand brake I'm good to go for long highway rides.

Lambo

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed a cruise-mate and the hand brake before we went to Colorado last summer...I wouldn't be without either one,now...There are better and more complicated cruise controls out there,but basic is fine for me..I just wanted a "once in a while" hand relaxer...It did the trick!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    I installed a cruise-mate and the hand brake before we went to Colorado last summer...I wouldn't be without either one,now...There are better and more complicated cruise controls out there,but basic is fine for me..I just wanted a "once in a while" hand relaxer...It did the trick!
    I am very happy with the cruise-mate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blambert View Post
    Just installed Cruise-mate cruise control on my 2011 Spyder RS. Easy installation ( just make sure you use the jigs for re-drilling and tapping the throttle housing). It is a clean setup with just spring loaded lever that comes from the bottom of the throttle housing for holding the throttle open via friction. Have used on the highway and with my newly installed ICSI hand brake I'm good to go for long highway rides.

Lambo
    Who makes this cruise? I take it this is a quality product I could install myself? I am two weeks from an open carpal tunnel release surgery and will most likely need the help this year.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    Who makes this cruise? I take it this is a quality product I could install myself? I am two weeks from an open carpal tunnel release surgery and will most likely need the help this year.
    http://cruise-mate.com/Products_Can_Am_Spyder.htm

Spyder Garage

Install is pretty easy. Just be careful when drilling. Put it in a vise like the instructions say.

Spyder Garage

Default Tapping the hole....

Lambo, did you have the tap set to thread the hole or did you have to do that?

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    Lambo, did you have the tap set to thread the hole or did you have to do that?

Jim

The kit comes with drill and tap.

Spyder Garage

Default Crusie - mate

Crusie mate sold me the drill bit and tap bit for 10 bucks - was very easy - you need to make sure that the throttle housing is put in vise since the housing plastic grabs the bit when drilling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee ... Cruise control on an RS? That sounds like a reason to buy a new 2013 model; it's now standard equipment!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    One other thing you may want is a throttle assist. It is a paddle you rest the heel of your hand on and relieves pressure on the wrist. It really helps out on long rides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do you have to remove the grip to add this option?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gee ... Cruise control on an RS? That sounds like a reason to buy a new 2013 model; it's now standard equipment!
    Hey Bob, we cruise on the RS too. It's like the person who sees a house they want but wishes it was in a different neighborhood. That's how it is with some of us RS folks, we like some of the features of the RT, but prefer them on the RS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    standard on the new RS??!!!
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I've had cruise-mates on 3 of my previous harley's I was glad to see they made one for the spyder. That is definately a must have mod in my opinion.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Do you have to remove the grip to add this option?
    I'm not sure about the stock grips. I have Kuryakyn grips and added the matching throttle assist. Here's a picture:

20130128_120753.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise - Mate

There is no need to remove the grips - the throttle housing is what you work with and it comes apart with only three screws. The directions are OK ( not great). To remove the throttle housing so that you can put on a vise you also have to remove a switch from the housing which is also only three screws easy to get to. When drilling the housing with the provided bit I added WD40 to the bit end and slowly worked the drilling. Key is make sure you use the jigs provided to keep everything straight.

I now have pretty much all the performance mods on my RS - outside of any Bling I like where my RS is as a bike -
    Last edited by blambert; 01-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Cruise-mate cruise control

These kuryakyn throttle assist work good. Easy to install too.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Question CRUISE-MATE

Quote Originally Posted by blambert View Post

Lambo
    Can it be installed on the EASY RISERS?

Spyder Garage

I have 3 inch risers on my bike and no issue since all the mechanics is internal to the throttle handle
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise-mate cruise control

I added Criose~Mate to my and what a blessing it was for me!! I did not have a vise to put the Throttle Body in (sure wished I did) as it turned out I was very careful and did not have any serious problems. Cheap $50.00 and all parts came with it in one package. It took more time to figure out how it all went together than it did to do the actual job of remove ~ drill ~ tap ~ assemble. It is also adjustable tension as parts seat in. it came in very handy from Texas HWY 10 to Calf. to I~5 to Salem. CAUTION ~ DO NOT USE ANY CRUISE CONTROL DEVISE IN WET OR SLIPPERY CONDITIONS be it Bike ~ ~ or Cage !!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) LindaG's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise-Mate control question?

My husband installed a Cruise-Mate on my RS, but I am the one having trouble using it. It is either losing or gaining speed. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind there is no electronic feedback to adjust your throttle it is a mechanical mechanism so any change in environment i.e. headwind or highway slope will either increase or slow you down. You can adjust the mate so that they is enough play to change the throttle position even with the mate is in the cruise position.

Ride safe
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dfireman1 View Post
    Can it be installed on the EASY RISERS?
    Yes it can.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Loving my Cruise Mate! I think this is a must have mod. When your right wrist starts to get tired just flip the lever and relax it! Best $50 you can spend in my opinion.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.