Thread: ST radio

Spyder Garage

Question ST radio

does anyone know of a way to use earbuds with the new ST limited radio? Speakers are usless after 40mph. I posted this on the wrong forum before I saw a ST forum
    Thanks Larry

Spyder Garage

Try wearing earplugs, should make a huge difference.

Spyder Garage

I agree with the earplugs as an initial approach. If that doesn't work, tapping a hi-low converter into the speakers, then adapting that output to a comm system or earbuds should do the trick.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Hey Larry T , I rode about 600 miles this weekend on my ST and had no problem hearing the radio at greater than 40mph speeds. Try adjusting your windshield up. I noticed at lower position lost about 50% of volume. Hope this helps. Enjoy

Spyder Garage

I plan on getting the bluetooth dongle and one of those SENA communicator with mine, i just gotta figure out how to fit the speakers into my helmet, (its an Icon variant black etched edition.)

Spyder Garage

Default ear buds

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Hey Larry T , I rode about 600 miles this weekend on my ST and had no problem hearing the radio at greater than 40mph speeds. Try adjusting your windshield up. I noticed at lower position lost about 50% of volume. Hope this helps. Enjoy
    I am hard of hearing, that is why I need to find a way to install ear buds,

Thanks Larry

Spyder Garage

Larry, you might also try adjusting the bass/treble controls. I have some hearing difficulties, too, and changing the controls helped me hear the speakers much better...until I finally got things hooked to my helmet speakers.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Larry, you might also try adjusting the bass/treble controls. I have some hearing difficulties, too, and changing the controls helped me hear the speakers much better...until I finally got things hooked to my helmet speakers.
    how did you get it hooked to your helmet speakers?

Thanks Larry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry t View Post
    how did you get it hooked to your helmet speakers?

Thanks Larry
    Mine is hooked through a hi-lo converter tapped into the speaker wires, which is then adapted to my Starcom1 comm system.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry t View Post
    I am hard of hearing, that is why I need to find a way to install ear buds,

Thanks Larry
    I'm in the same boat Larry. Need to find a clean way to hook earbuds to my ST. Can't believe they didn't provide a jack for that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'm in the same boat Larry. Need to find a clean way to hook earbuds to my ST. Can't believe they didn't provide a jack for that.
    Please keep us posted on what you come up with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Please keep us posted on what you come up with.
    Looks like I may have to go with the BRP dongle to do what I want. Still working on it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You can use a simple line level converter and even wire in a toggle switch to shut off the speakers when you have the earbuds in.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI35-Adju...evel+converter

The other option is the Sena BT with this headset, http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0303.../dp/B003YD3O7G or this one for full face helmets, http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0304...ords=SMH-A0304

Of course you will need at least one SMH-10 BT receiver. By the time you're done, if you don't already have the Sena headset you'll be out pretty close to $500, $650 if you need 2 headsets. It's actually cheap by comparison, BMW wants $450 PER HELMET just for their receivers.
    Last edited by mjw930; 04-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    You can use a simple line level converter and even wire in a toggle switch to shut off the speakers when you have the earbuds in.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI35-Adju...evel+converter

The other option is the Sena BT with this headset, http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0303.../dp/B003YD3O7G or this one for full face helmets, http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0304...ords=SMH-A0304

Of course you will need at least one SMH-10 BT receiver. By the time you're done, if you don't already have the Sena headset you'll be out pretty close to $500, $650 if you need 2 headsets. It's actually cheap by comparison, BMW wants $450 PER HELMET just for their receivers.
    I have the Sena already but I want earbuds for when I ride with a half helmet. I can pair with my ipod and still control the tracks on the bars. I'll look into the other option. Thanks

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the PAC SNI-35 sitting on the desk...waiting for hg to find time to install...plus CB...

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I have the PAC SNI-35 sitting on the desk...waiting for hg to find time to install...plus CB...
    Just add one of these and plug in your earbuds and you are good to go.

40424b.jpg
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product/40424

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

40424b.jpg
    Thanks...I'll show hg but...I have to plug in through the cb to my headset in my helmet and connect with the radio...hg knows how to do this stuff...if not there is an audio place acroos the road

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Thanks...I'll show hg but...I have to plug in through the cb to my headset in my helmet and connect with the radio...hg knows how to do this stuff...if not there is an audio place acroos the road
    If you are using the J&M CB then you use this adapter to get the L/R audio into a 3.5mm stereo jack then use a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect into the J&M. Now the bike's audio will pass through the CB into your headset. It also allows you to plug earbuds into the jack when you don't want to use the CB or the helmet with the CB headset.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

40424b.jpg
    I am using one of those on my bike... not a Spyder... the stereo on it has preamp outlets that I connected to a noise choke, ...then attached the cord to the choke, and the 3.5 end into the faring dash. The J&M CB has a male 3.5 connector that plugs into the 3.5 female in the dash of the faring. Works great! the J&M has a volume control to adjust helmet speaker volume.
    The reason I got the PAC SNI-35 for the ST was to have a way to tie into the ST stereo at a controlled lower wattage. Then the volume can be controled independently to the headset via the J&M, and the music will mute when using the CB.
    You could also plug earbuds into the 3.5 female.
    I have not gotten into the stereo on the ST....
    Does it have an aux outlet for another set of speakers? If so, that cord would work, but would still need a way to control the power the the J&M aux input.
    My bike sounds GREAT even at 80mph +.... with the sound coming from the faring speakers AND the headsets... has a pretty full range of sound!
    Last edited by hotglue; 04-02-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The radio doesn't come with an line out from the factory BUT, the Bluetooth Dongle wire harness, which plugs directly into the second plug on the radio unit, supplies a fixed volume line out signal with no conversion in a 3.5mm jack format so you can plug in the Sena SM10.

If that harness was offered outside the kit, which it isn't, then it would be a simple plug and play to get a fixed level audio out. Then all you need would be earbuds with a volume control. For those with the BT dongle you have a ready made connection to plug in ear buds if you want to ride without the BT headset like Lamont talking about using his half helmet. You just earbuds with a volume control.

I suppose, if I could figure out the connector part number and supplier I could reverse engineer the cable but honestly, it's easier just to tap into the speaker output with one of these $20 converters.
    Last edited by mjw930; 04-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

The nice thing about the PAC SNI-35 converter is that it will attenuate the signal to allow use of earbuds or an auxiliary comm system, without damage. The volume can then be controlled from the handlebars at the multifunction control. It works real slick with my Starcom1 comm system, and should do a dandy job with earbuds, too. Using the RCA-to-3.5 mm cable mjw930 showed, then a matching 3.5 mm cable with a bulkhead connector, would allow you to just plug your earbuds into the dash or side panel.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Using earpods with half helmet

[QUOTE=Lamonster;598961]I have the Sena already but I want earbuds for when I ride with a half helmet. I can pair with my ipod and still control the tracks on the bars. I'll look into the other option. Thanks [/QUOTE

Please let us know what you come up with Lamont and how well it works.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Zenagirl;602488][QUOTE=Lamonster;598961]I have the Sena already but I want earbuds for when I ride with a half helmet. I can pair with my ipod and still control the tracks on the bars. I'll look into the other option. Thanks [/QUOTE

Do you have the Sena designed for half helmet use if not you could try these

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Note the only difference between the 2 is one has FM Radio built in
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

how about using this with your SENA

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0303.../dp/B003YD3O7G

just a thought