Thread: Waterproof?

Spyder Garage

Default Waterproof?

Are the RTcontrols & instrument clusters waterproof or should other mesures be taken to keep out moisture?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbert1998 View Post
    Are the RTcontrols & instrument clusters waterproof or should other mesures be taken to keep out moisture?
    They are water proof but avoid high pressure spays which could possibly drive moisture into where you don't want it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

They are made to be exposed to the elements. That said, it can never hurt to provide some extra protection if the opportunity presents itself.

Spyder Garage

No problem here and we rain test the ,s often. No high pressure sprays when washing though, the don't like water in some places.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to baby them; but you also shouldn't tickle the Dragon's tail either...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default re: waterproof

I learned a long time ago with several of my Harley's to slide a plastic newspaper sleeve over the handgrips covering the switches while washing the bike. I still do this on the Spider out of habit.
    On the Harley's the turn lights and radio control did not like being wet at all and would not properly function until they dried out!

Spyder Garage

Default Wash up

Through the years I found that if you use pressure washers the best is always wash down. Most electrics drain down like rain fall but seep if you turn the nozzle upwards..stay dry
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree no high pressure ..

Spyder Garage

no high pressure. I've rode in the rain several times and no issues. Don't like rain but better on the spyder than my two wheel was.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) gswife's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default getting wet

I have not had any problems with going to the car wash and my husband washing mine other then riding home with a damp seat... we go once a week and the only problems with water is him spraying me with it..
    Deborah
    (also known as spoiled rotten brat )
    Zephyrhills,FL

2014 RT Limited
    January 18th 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not "return the favor", and give him some of his own medicine?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbert1998 View Post

I know many have said they are ok and it should not be a problem - I have always been concerned with reference to my Motorcycle switches being exposed to the elements Rain, and even High temps with the sun beating down all day some plastics can become brittle or they fade when exposed for a long time

When I purchased my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model I noticed just how exposed the RT Controls and Instrument switches are including the ignition Switch would be to heavy rain when my Spyder is left outside either at work or on long trips

My solution is to fit covers over the Handlebar switches, Cover the Ignition Switch and over my GPS*
    *(This is locked to my bracket with a Touratech locking mount) Workplace is secure but I would otherwise remove it on trips etc

The handlebar covers are made from some old Airbag sections 55cm long as used in INFLATABLE AIR BED LILO SWIMMING POOL Loungers The stronger ones are best
    These just slip over the handlebars and can be secured with Bungee strapes in case of high winds etc
    I just use a round plastic lid to go over the Ignition Key – This stops water entering the electricts of the Ignition switch would could make starting difficult

I use a small dry sack as uesd in Camping, Kayaking,Canoeing and Rafting etc, , and other outdoor activities where sensitive items would otherwise get wet
    I just slip this over the GPS and secure it with Clips supplied to make the bag watertight, It also helps to cover up the middle console switches e.g. Parking brake, Heated Grips etc.

Not only do these methods keep water away from the sensitive switches it also helps stop those
    people who just have to play wth you Spyder when your not there - Button pushers trying to find
    what each button press does – These switches are now hidden out of sight out of mind

I have included some pictures to show the results :-

SAM_0401 (640x480).jpgSAM_0404 (640x480).jpgSAM_0407 (640x480).jpgSAM_0410 (640x480).jpgSAM_0409 (640x480).jpg

All the covers are small enough to carried on the Spyder and are ready to use if needed

Edde Sheppard

Reading UK
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World