Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I posted this on another Thread but I felt the same way when I first rode the Spyder after coming off of a 2 wheel. I agree with others to get it checked at the dealer for alienment, but if the alienment is good then know that things will get better.

***The Spyder will feel very strange for the first couple of rides but you will quickly learn how to handle it. I have the smaller RS Spyder but when I first purchased it, it did wonder back and forth and it seemed very sensitive to the slightest ajustment. After I joined some Spyder Forums I found out about the Elka Shocks and purchased them. While waiting for the shocks to arrive (5 weeks) I followed the advice on the forums and tighten the front shocks up and added some tire air presure. This made a world of difference an even after my shocks arrived I decided to continue riding the Spyder with the stock shocks, one because I had gotten so use to the way it rode and two because the dealer wanted 200.00 bucks to install them. Many here put them on themselves but I do not have the tools or the strength. Eventually I will have the shocks put on or sell the shocks.

I think that the dealers would fair better to tighten the Spyder down on the showroom floors so that when people test drove them the riders would not feel that wondering sensation. I know when I first drove it I thought "no way". But after I test drove it for the third time I finally got the feel of the Spyder. ****

Registered Users
    Tucson, Arizona (winter), Burwell, Nebraska (summer)
    Spyder Garage

Default See thread in RT Shop Talk; RE: "Mikeszone2" posting.

I sincerely want to thank the SpyderLovers community for their excellent input regarding my 2013 RT and it's highway speed instability. Truely appreciated.

At the same time, please refer to the "RT Shop Talk" forum and review a thread started by MikesZone2, also dealing with the subject.

Mine goes into the shop in two days. I fully expect the normal "it's all in your head" response and have steeled myself for battle with the service department. However, Mike's experience and reporting of his issues will be of a great help to me. Ultimately BRP needs a better quality control on allignments and should consider reprogramming of their machine's speed sensitive calibration at highway speeds (the 2013's seem to be even more sensitive than previous models).

Again, thanks for your most valuable critique. This has proven to be a great community.

Ken

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Long awaited apointment day finally came

After a long waitfor my alignment check appointment date, it came, and went, yesterday.

Took the machine in to my local Powersport dealer at 9:00am. I called for anupdate at about 4:00 pm. and left message on their recorder. Service guy called me at about 5:00 pm and said Icould pick up my RT.

What did they get done.....essentially NOTHING. Their response: they don'thave the alignment equipment (consisting of a factory hand held laser measuringdevice) to check the alignment. (like it was a big suprise that I was coming in for an appointment to check alignment on a 2013 RT, or like they couldn't have ordered the equipment when I made the appointment, or like they could have called me to postpone the appointment saying their equipment is on order - none of the above).

Ever wonder what is wrong with America? It was the mega franchise adoption of the popular management principal "doing more with less." IE: spending millions on facility, inventory, parts, leasehold improvements, etc, and then turning it all over to kids to run. The "Powersports" network seems to embody this concept. I could go on, but this is not the right forum for it.

I guess they'll call me whenever said testing part comes in. Until then, I ride at my life's risk, on a $30,000+ touring machine that is not safe to tour on. Oh, and on a 2013 model with much improved chassis geometry for a superior touring experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd call the shop and speak with the owner over this.
    To have you come in for an appointment that they were clearly not prepared for; is inexcuseable!
    DEMAND that they get whatever tool is lacking, and PRIORITIZE your next visit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurrantRyder View Post
    After a long waitfor my alignment check appointment date, it came, and went, yesterday.

Took the machine in to my local Powersport dealer at 9:00am. I called for anupdate at about 4:00 pm. and left message on their recorder. Service guy called me at about 5:00 pm and said Icould pick up my RT.

What did they get done.....essentially NOTHING. Their response: they don'thave the alignment equipment (consisting of a factory hand held laser measuringdevice) to check the alignment. (like it was a big suprise that I was coming in for an appointment to check alignment on a 2013 RT, or like they couldn't have ordered the equipment when I made the appointment, or like they could have called me to postpone the appointment saying their equipment is on order - none of the above).

Ever wonder what is wrong with America? It was the mega franchise adoption of the popular management principal "doing more with less." IE: spending millions on facility, inventory, parts, leasehold improvements, etc, and then turning it all over to kids to run. The "Powersports" network seems to embody this concept. I could go on, but this is not the right forum for it.

I guess they'll call me whenever said testing part comes in. Until then, I ride at my life's risk, on a $30,000+ touring machine that is not safe to tour on. Oh, and on a 2013 model with much improved chassis geometry for a superior touring experience.
    Sad to hear. They could have run down to Menard's and bought the magnetic laser level and a length or aluminum angle to do the job. That's what my dealer did. I think what is the saddest about situations like these is that owners often have no alternative. Due to the sparcity of dealers, it is often impractical to travel hundreds of miles to another. Owners cannot speak with their wallets, by going somewhere else. I'd contact the dealership owner directly, especially if it is a large dealership, writing a letter of complaint. Believe it or not, most dealers are quite unaware of things like this, and often will work very hard to make ammends.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default factory procedure to align 2013 RT (from dealer knowledge base)

I’m still waiting for my local dealer to acquire thetools/equipment to perform an alignment on a 2013 RT, but, in the meantime, I’vebeen able to acquire a copy of the factory’s recommended procedure to perform a2013 alignment. It’s a bulletin which comesfrom the Can Am “Knowledge Base” link which the dealers use to download thelatest information on trouble areas. I believe that if a 2013 exhibits high speed stability problems, the procedure will be performed under warranty. This procedure is unique to 2013 models and not for previous models. I'm not able to attach it to this posting (size too large) but if you would like a copy, please feel free to PM me. It may prove usefull to those dealers who are behind the curve on some 2013's that have handling issues. They obviously have access to it if they know where to look, but this is a useful "sneak preview."

Spyder Garage

I took my 2013ST Limited in Saturday to have alignment corrected. The service manager went out the night prior and purchased all the tools needed. Saturday morning I was the first one in at 0900 and out at 1130. Very pleased as this included my 600 mile tuneup. Best of luck to you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A bullitin just came out RE: 2013 & allignment recomendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Looking around the site a bit today, it also appears that some 2013s were sent out with the wheels out of alignment, and BRP is working on something to fix this issue. This could be what you are experiencing as well.
    You are correct. BRP just released a bullitin regarding new allignment procedures for the 2013 roadsters. I assume that they wouldn't have bothered with this if it wasn't a legitimate issue.

Ken

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Serious Steering issue.

I have been a spyder rider and only a spyder rider since 2010. I started with a st and had a 2012 RT. Recently went to a 2013 RT, total difference. I was not going very fast but was on a curvey road I drive all the time. I really had issues keeping it in a turn to the left. Tires are aired up correctly. My husband said that you can adjust the front shocks by hand so am going to try that. If that doesn't help it's out of here. I loved the 12 but have had so many recall notices and other issues with this 13. My husband traded his because of all the issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydie_Heidi View Post
    I have been a spyder rider and only a spyder rider since 2010. I started with a st and had a 2012 RT. Recently went to a 2013 RT, total difference. I was not going very fast but was on a curvey road I drive all the time. I really had issues keeping it in a turn to the left. Tires are aired up correctly. My husband said that you can adjust the front shocks by hand so am going to try that. If that doesn't help it's out of here. I loved the 12 but have had so many recall notices and other issues with this 13. My husband traded his because of all the issues.
    First, unless you have after market shocks on your 2013 RT, there is no adjustment. The stock shocks on the 2013 RT are not adjustable.

Something isn't right with your 2013 RT . . . what you describe is not normal. Are either of your heim joints broken? There was a service bulletin on them, replacing a bad batch . . . or something else wrong in the front end? You need to have it looked at. The 2013 RT should handle very well. Most do.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I just took delivery of a 2013 RT Limited and was horrified at how dangerous its road handling is. Anything above 50 mph goes beyond scarey and after making an extended trip home, following delivery, I consider myself lucky to be alive.

Trucks passing, undulating pavement, mild cross winds, cause the machine to enter into a high speed wobble that is almost impossible to correct with steering inputs. I've been riding for more than 50 years and this is the worst experience on a road bike I've ever had. Trying to hold a steady line, without wandering side to side, is only possible for short distances. The mental attention it takes to hold the machine in your lane, on the interstate, is beyond description.

I hope Can Am is aware of this and corrects quickly before someone gets hurt, ...or worse.
    Please disregard all the hooey you read here about "death grip", "loose grip", "tire pressure", "wheel alignment", etc. You description exactly fits my experience with my first Spyder, a 2013 RT Ltd. Your machine has 2 problems - the left ball joint and the right ball joint. Get those replaced by your dealer. Should be warranty based on an earlier service bulletin. After mine were replaced, it was smooth as silk and very stable whether I gripped the "death grip" or "loose grip". Don't be discouraged, just getter done then enjoy!!!

Been through that........

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

I guess I am kind of curious what the end result of this thread was.... after 2 years and 4 months. How did it finally turn out CurrantRyder?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My reaction was the same as your and so was my riding experience time wise.

I just took delivery of a 2013 RT Limited and was horrified at how dangerous its road handling is. Anything above 50 mph goes beyond scarey and after making an extended trip home, following delivery, I consider myself lucky to be alive.

Trucks passing, undulating pavement, mild cross winds, cause the machine to enter into a high speed wobble that is almost impossible to correct with steering inputs. I've been riding for more than 50 years and this is the worst experience on a road bike I've ever had. Trying to hold a steady line, without wandering side to side, is only possible for short distances. The mental attention it takes to hold the machine in your lane, on the interstate, is beyond description.

I hope Can Am is aware of this and corrects quickly before someone gets hurt, ...or worse.
    I know this is a late response - The changes I made to resolve it.
    1) Was a new seat (Corbin) the original was way too mushy which makes your body move with every movement of the spyder. Expensive but well worth it.
    2)Spring Stiffners
    3)Loosen your grips and relax as others have already told you.

The first two items will let you do #three without even thinking about, you will think that you have purchased a new machine. I personal think that 95% of the problem starts with there seat.

Spyder Garage

Just saw what I wrote, January 25, 2013. I stand corrected. I definitely needed a laser alignment.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Great advise! My wife bought a STS. I rode it and it was a terrible experience. I thought what a peace of crap but she liked it. I to have ridden two wheels for over 50 years. I rode it to the dealer for her(she works I don't ) about 70 miles. It felt like I had ridden 700 miles. Said I would never have one! Rode it a few more times and got the feel of it and how to interact with it and now I have a F3S. It's like ridding a Cadillac Once you gat used to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I may be eating crow. I just saw a thread in the subforum RT Shop Talk in which it has been stated that BRP has acknowledged there is a problem and is working on solving this issue.

Chris
    Could you please post a link to this thread?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I hope CurrantRyder got it fixed and has been enjoying it. As far as I can tell his last post was in April of 2013. It would be nice to know what finally turned it around for him.and if he is still here just lurking
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 06-24-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I may be eating crow. I just saw a thread in the subforum RT Shop Talk in which it has been stated that BRP has acknowledged there is a problem and is working on solving this issue.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Could you please post a link to this thread?

It has been so long since I posted the above that I can't remember for the life of me why I said what I did. I do recall that I was one of the few (in the beginning) who thought there was an alignment issue with the 2013 RT's (as well as any other year). I think I may have been referring to the heim joint (?), but not sure. I do know that in hind sight I was completely wrong about ALL spyders having an alignment issue. I'm now a firm believer that the laser alignment should be performed on all spyders at the time they are delivered at sale.

Hope this helps.

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Loose grip on the bars. Not a tight one helps.

I was thinking the same thing, since I'm new to riding three wheelers. It's the violence of the handling which brings me back to thinking it's a fault in the allignment or electronic power steering. It dosen't just wander, it can change lanes. The trucks passing me by (while I'm doing 65 mph) literally suck me across the lines of my lane. Mild cross winds will do it too, as will less than perfect roadway. It doesn't self correct if you relax on the steering, so how do you get it out of a high speed wobble? Just a question, thanks for any input you can give me.
    Get a loose grip on the bars, not a tight one.