Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Prescription Eyewear

Please share your thoughts on resiliant, stylish and reasonably priced prescription eyewear for riding. I wear my MJs during the day but I'm in need of clears for night, preferably the kind of lens that gets dark in the sun.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been a big fan of Wiley X glasses. Mine are polycarbonate and I also use them as tactical glasses. The U.S. military is also a big fan of them. The best prices I have found have been through www.framesdirect.com and you can usually find a coupon code to save you a bunch of $$$. My last purchase put my riding specs at $300 and the coupon knocked them down to $200! The glasses I have are called Wiley X AirRage Prescription Sunglasses.

http://www.framesdirect.com/Wiley-X-...-k-tcqdni.html

I hope that this helps
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Glasses

I have tried several different eyewear and opted for the sunglasses that fit over my glasses. That works well for me, however, I also have a half helmet that I use my sunvisor over my regular glasses. I also have a 3/4 helmet with a sunvisor and a clear visor on it. 3/4 I use in the winter time. All of this seems to work well for me instead of shelling out the dollars for perscription sunglasses.

Fit overs I found at JP Cycles and they do carry a cheaper brand at Walmart.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I just wear my regular or Rx sunglasses with a full-face helmet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a modular helmet and wear my glasses with a clear shield..just when night fall need to remove the sun glasses.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I visited my local Lenscrafters, Eyemasters and Pearle Vision to try on the differentstyles of glasses/goggles. I found what I liked at Pearle Vision and got prescription bifocal transition googles, convertible to glasses, for $200.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Modular Helmet; Clip-ons for the daytime battles, and they go in a pocket once the Sun sets...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did the Wiley-x light adjusting glasses with the foam around the lenses to help keep the wind out of my eyes.

Spyder Garage

Find that transitions work well for a quick jaunt outside but the longer I am outside in bright sun I find they are less effective. I just use my built in sun visor with my regular glasses or poloarized polycarbonate Oakley's that I had my Rx put in them.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Shades

I do the same thing Bob does. Works great!!
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Default Make sure they are not polarized !

Whatever you buy, make sure they are not polarized.

Mine interfere with my RT's LCD display and with my helmet visor.

...Ben...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out e-tint visor. Had my e-tint for two years and love it. Works as advertised. Try this web site E-tint.comơ

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Check out e-tint visor. Had my e-tint for two years and love it. Works as advertised. Try this web site E-tint.comơ
    Cool technology ! But I am not sure I would give up my pinlock for it.

...Ben...

PS: Their web site is: http://e-tintproducts.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

e-tint? Thanks for the link; I'd never heard of them before!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of wrap around Costas with my prescription in them. Also have crizal transitions that I wear with my visor.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a full face helmet with tinted shield for daytime, and another one with a flip down sunshade for dusk/night. Most sunglasses have arms too big to squeeze between the helmet and my ears, so I wear regular wire framed prescription glasses (Transitions lenses) underneath.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got my transition glasses at Cosco for $ 130. They automatically darken during bright sunlight which fill my need.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default eyewear

Hi Guys and Dolls,
    I opted for the cheap comfortable glasses (shatterproof) and I went to wal-mart where they gave me a free trial pair of contact lenses and now That's what I always wear when riding, regardless of helmet type.

Spyder Garage

Nolan helmets with the flip down sun shade. I wear my RX glasses and when the need arises flip down the helmet interior sun shade. The visors come in many shades as well as the sun shades.

I use a light smoke for the outside visor on one helmet and have the blue tint on another. I use a darker interior sunshade for those bright days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Nolan helmets with the flip down sun shade. I wear my RX glasses and when the need arises flip down the helmet interior sun shade. The visors come in many shades as well as the sun shades.

I use a light smoke for the outside visor on one helmet and have the blue tint on another. I use a darker interior sunshade for those bright days.
    I also have a Nolan (N104), but there are times (sunset) that even with the internal sun visor down, I wish I would have real sunglasses.

The Nolan clear shield blocks enough UVs to prevent my transition Rx glasses from darkening.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Default I ride over 50k miles a year and only use Wiley x Air Rage for over 20 years

Air rage Wiley x ---5 star---gasket that come swith them terrible

I ride over 50k miles a year and only use Wiley x Air Rage for over 20 years, I have tried everything you can think of, But when it got to where I had to wear glasses to read the speedo, and GPS...They are a must

I used to go thru about 10-15 plus glasses goggles a year, and that gets really expensive....

My air rage cost me about $450.00 and they are great, I break a ear peace or wear something out and several times I have contacted them and mailed the broke ones back to them and they have mailed me back new ones....

you can just pop the lenses out and put them back into new frames....The air rage style did change the shape of the lens a few years back....

This is the first pair of perscription glases that actually transitioned as quick when going thru tunnels and such, and great for riding @ night...

The gaskets on them do Suk and the foam seperates from the plastic within a few months....depending on where you travel the gaskets on that model may not be as important

As I also have a small head, I wear a 6-7/8" cap, these glsses fit snug and have never lost a pair while on the road....

Spyder Garage

Depending on the suitability to your helmet for glasses or goggles I would still take either of those in transtions lenses.

I live in Australia and glasses are hideously expensive compared to there and so I am limited to just what I build up over the years so with full face I have to take both with me, now I am moving back onto a motorcycle and will rig myself up appropriately I will likely get transtions goggles and probably sunglasses as well.

The thing about glasses frames as we all know is you need something that is going to cover your eyes, not impair your vision and yet when stationary not fog up on your eyes as mine are prone to do I just had to get used to moving them away from my face a couple of mm's to get enough airflow to prevent that when stationary.

Spyder Garage

I'm trying a pair of Wiley X Prescription Transitions. Hopefully they do the job when riding with a half helmet or naked head!
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Prescription Eyewear

I almost always wear a half shell and the foam around the eye piece keeps bugs and stuff out and just enough air in to keep you cool. I'm a big fan if Wiley X. Had this pair for three years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Default Zenni Optical

You might check these guys out
    http://www.zennioptical.com/mens.htm...id=2&navused=1

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights