Thread: Windows 8

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Windows 8

Just got my new Dell XPS set up last night. I had to upgrade because my old PC just wasn't going to work editing HD video.

My new machine is a beast, it shouldn't be obsolete for at least two years. The only negative is it came with WIN8. But after using it for about an hour last night I think I might actually like it.

I think a lot of people are negative toward it because we as humans just don't like change. People don't like being removed from their comfort zone.

So my biggest challenge now will be going from my iMac at work to using XP and WIN8 at home.

Do you use WIN8, and if so what is your opinion of it?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Win8 sucks for the pc environment...I loaded it up and it trashed my home network configurations, firewalls, printer and fax configurations...I had to reload windows 7 to get everything back so that it was workable...If you're running a home network, stay away from it until they get the kinks worked out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Windows 8

I have a mostly Mac environment and only a few windoze systems. When those die ill replace them with macs.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have Windows 8 and I like it. I got the app called "Classic Start 8" so I could have a start button... simply because I was so used to it being there. My computer is a gaming PC I built in mid 2012. Appearance wise, it is not much different than Windows 7 since I stay on the desktop almost all the time. Performance wise, it is considerable improvement over Windows 7. There is a little learning curve but once you get past that, it is great.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I didn't like it, so I found an old-stock computer that still had Windows 7. I could have upgraded my netbook, too, but "No thanks!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have about 10 PC based systems between work and home, ranging from Windows 98 to my new laptop with Windows 8. Windows 8 is interesting...its OK, Picked up the networks ok and even found and loaded the printers without any input, isn't technology great.Now, where is the solitaire Game Can't find it HELP!!! Why would they leave it out Even the Spider Solitaire is missing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As a MSDN member I tested W8, have it running on my Photo PC, it is faster, added the 3rd party menu back in it so it is useful.

Needed to buy a new laptop, looked at W8 models, bought a MacBook pro.

I am running windows 7 in a VM for windows development on the Mac .

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Windows 8

Anybody tried Jolicloud on a netbook? Dont mind using it now!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Question This has to be the largest break from tradition for Windows platform EVER

I don't know, maybe I'm trying to cram too much change in all at once, but I'm having a difficult time getting used to this new Windows 8 Laptop/Tablet All In One Combo.

Seeing as how Teddy & I like to travel as much as possible and also keep his fans updated with his Adventures & posting pics of the lil ham is a large part of that, he thought it best to try in bundle all our needs into one machine, instead of having multiple machines because none could do everything we wanted, at least not how we wanted. So, with that thought in mind, and a chance to try it out for 14 days at $100 off of retail, we ordered the Brand New to Market HP ENVY X2 that's touted as being a fully functional Win8 Laptop with a detachable screen that makes into a HUGE tablet pc like our Galaxy Tab that we've been using for a couple of years now.

The entire thing is really sleek, encased entirely in aluminum, but that makes it rather heavy when you have the combo together. The tablet part by itself is larger than our old Galaxy Tab and heavier as well. I do like having a fully functional computer on both tho, if I can just get used to the new Windows 8 platform. Switching between the 2 modes, on screen or keyboard/mouse isn't difficult, but it is easy to touch the mouse pad in the wrong place & then be immediately taken from desktop mode to touch screen mode, UGH!!! Done that way more times by accident than by choice.

All in all, not a bad set-up & it runs well, if only I can get myself used to this format now. Anyone else have any experience with this setup or any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks In Advance,
    Dave & Teddy~

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You can download the traditional menu for it to help you make things easier, couple of companies have created them, just google windows 7 menu on windows 8

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on Teddy's new laptop/tablet. I've never used one so can't give you any tips, but the more I use win8 the more I like it.

Sometimes moving around in the system can be a little cumbersome, overall the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Post some pics of Teddy using his new machine.

Spyder Garage

What's this Windows stuff you are all talking about?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down The more I use it, the more frustrated I'm getting

Don't have 8 Pro so I can't downgrade to 7, thinking I may send this back

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

before you send it back, try this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20272...xcellence.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't like it

Nothing like having to do four clicks to shut down the computer. The good side is I am getting used to it, so I have moved from "hate" to "don't like it".
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Don't have 8 Pro so I can't downgrade to 7, thinking I may send this back
    You could always go with a MacBook Air. They are very nice.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Windows 8 is microsofts attempt at a tablet oriented operating system, I do not yet use it myself, but I work in IT support and we are starting to see it more. Wether we like it or not, tablets are they way of the future and Microsoft knew they had to make the change. Windows 8 is made to work more seemlessly with cloud computing and has alot of good features. I just know my clients at work had a hard time adjusting from XP to Win7, so this will be a bigger learning curve.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Angry it took me 6 tries & 45 minutes just to post this 1 pic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Working in IT I see tablets all of the time. I have an iPad myself. The only thing I think they are good for is watching movies on the airplane and looking at basic thinks like Adobe Files or EBooks, and maybe some games. Nothing more.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    Working in IT I see tablets all of the time. I have an iPad myself. The only thing I think they are good for is watching movies on the airplane and looking at basic thinks like Adobe Files or EBooks, and maybe some games. Nothing more.

Totally agree, other then great to read magazines.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    Have an Ipad myself, and I have to agree. But the new hybird tablets/laptops do alot more then that! Plus the Android tablets are a bit more upgradable then the Ipad. I always say I love the Ipad from a users point for the ease of use, but hate it as a Tech for the limited ports and all the addons needed to do anything.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but Windows 8 is rubbish for what I do. I use my laptop for work and my software will not function as it should. I use AutoCAD 2013, Inventor and 3D studio and even the new AutoCAD 2014 does not (at this date) function on properly W-8. My only way out was to wipe the hard drive and install W-7 but I did lose my Ethernet port....no problem as I use Wifi anyway. Neither of my quadcopters like W-8 either...my Naza flight controllers are finicky that way.

Spyder Garage

No talk about Lenix14 or any of them???? no windows for me.No viruses.Easy to use.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    Sorry but Windows 8 is rubbish for what I do. I use my laptop for work and my software will not function as it should. I use AutoCAD 2013, Inventor and 3D studio and even the new AutoCAD 2014 does not (at this date) function on properly W-8. My only way out was to wipe the hard drive and install W-7 but I did lose my Ethernet port....no problem as I use Wifi anyway. Neither of my quadcopters like W-8 either...my Naza flight controllers are finicky that way.
    As usual Microsoft mantra "Rush it out now, fix it later".