Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Frieght and Prep in CA?

Just got the call that my spyder was shipped on March 27th I have been waiting since OCT 07 and the dealer in Lake Elsinore said sometime this week it will be in. I asked him what the additional charges were besides tax and they quoted 899 for shipping and 799 for prep plus doc and license fees. I thought that was high so I called Corona Motorsports and they said the same thing. Just was wondering if that is what to expect in CA from those who bought their Spyders here.
    Thanks and can't wait to ride.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Frieght and Prep in CA?

I just put a deposit down yesterday (Sacramento) and the freight was listed at $1295 and the dealer prep at $495. Caught me by surprise, but I'm not committed yet. Fortunately, I don't have to make a decision until more Spyders become available.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since i will be picking up mine tomarrow afternoon i pulled my sales worksheet outand had to look what i had paid for freight and set up. now this is in Wisconsin so take it for what its worth. Also i was the fifth syper pre order in May 07 and that may be why i paid allot less for frieght and set up.

Frieght 50.00 US
    Prep 80.00 US
    Services Fee 69.95 US
    <

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by evoluzione
    ...would strongly suggest avoiding this dealer...
    Geez, Ken, that's horrible.

Not that it helps your wallet, but I hope you gave him straight low marks on the survey; maybe BRP will yank his ability to sell their products if he gets enough negative ratings.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Ken was that at 74 motorsports? Thats where I am picking mine up in Lake Elsinore. I was concerned because as I look online at other sites spyder owners seem to be paying 4-600 max for prep frieght title and doc fees but it looks like their mostly in the East Coast. I have to finance just about 98 percent of the bike and I dont want 5000 more dollars tacked on for all these bs charges and fees. I feel like they have me by the balls though cuz I have been waiting so long for the bike> I fear that they would just turn around and sell it to someone else if I didnt agree to pay there terms. Also if we have bought the bike before the price increase in December are we paying the price we originally ordered it for at 14999 or the new one at 15499? Thanks guys for any information on this.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was forced to pay $1900 from Honda of Hollywood.

A year prior, when I pre-ordered my Spyder, part of their sales pitch was that I would get a considerable break on all assembly and destination fees.

But when the time came to sign my "deal", their first offer was for over $2500..and when I didn't agree to that price, they treated me like they were doing me a favor by cutting it to $1900.00

It's all highway robbery...they know that you are firced to accept something close to what they offer....otherwise they will just call someone else to buy that bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderryder798
    I was forced to pay $1900 from Honda of Hollywood.

A year prior, when I pre-ordered my Spyder, part of their sales pitch was that I would get a considerable break on all assembly and destination fees.

But when the time came to sign my "deal", their first offer was for over $2500..and when I didn't agree to that price, they treated me like they were doing me a favor by cutting it to $1900.00

It's all highway robbery...they know that you are firced to accept something close to what they offer....otherwise they will just call someone else to buy that bike.

See what I am thinking is that because all spyders are priced the same the only way the sales persons and dealerships make their money is by over-exaggereating these fees. Id really hate to get down there this week to pick up my ride and get quoted over 2000 dollars with fees not to mention the taxes I know Ill have to pay. Dont get me wrong I dont mind paying for services I just dont want to get screwed by these people. I hope that the deposit will be ground enough to haggle on these fees with out the fear of loosing the bike completely.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey OCSURFRR,

Received your pm about this issue, but couldn't respond so I'll do it here. Feel free to send another pm and include your e-mail if you have additional questions.

Yes--they are screwing you. It seems like most of the dealers here in So. Cal are finding all kinds of creative ways to jack up the prices. When I first rode the demo, the quote was $16,800 for a premiere. When I went back a while later, and interest in the Spyder had grown, the price went up to $19,500 due to "freight charges and the unusually long set-up" (see Ken's post). Complete B.S.! I spent a long time with the folks in Anaheim and eventually got the Spyder for $17,300. This is all about profit--nothing else. The only leverage I had was due to the fact that I wrote down the original quote and the name of the salesperson. Then, I got EVERYTHING in writing, including the Out The Door price to make sure they weren't any surprises when I picked it up. My advice would be to negotiate as if you are willing to walk away (even if you aren't). Fight for every dollar, and don't give in. Make them miserable for trying to rip you off! Good luck.

Spyder Garage

We have two dealers, about the same distance from my house, in our area. One charges less in destination/dealer prep charges but charges more for the periodic servicing. My dealer charged me more... $1400 but I paid less on the service work. The office said that there was no dealing on Spyders; too many people on the list begging for theirs. We all get it in the end (literally and figuratively).
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdr
    Hey OCSURFRR,

Received your pm about this issue, but couldn't respond so I'll do it here. Feel free to send another pm and include your e-mail if you have additional questions.

Yes--they are screwing you. It seems like most of the dealers here in So. Cal are finding all kinds of creative ways to jack up the prices. When I first rode the demo, the quote was $16,800 for a premiere. When I went back a while later, and interest in the Spyder had grown, the price went up to $19,500 due to "freight charges and the unusually long set-up" (see Ken's post). Complete B.S.! I spent a long time with the folks in Anaheim and eventually got the Spyder for $17,300. This is all about profit--nothing else. The only leverage I had was due to the fact that I wrote down the original quote and the name of the salesperson. Then, I got EVERYTHING in writing, including the Out The Door price to make sure they weren't any surprises when I picked it up. My advice would be to negotiate as if you are willing to walk away (even if you aren't). Fight for every dollar, and don't give in. Make them miserable for trying to rip you off! Good luck.
    Hey man thanks for the response, Ya I asked the dealer when I put in my deposit for the basic silver spyder and they told me it would be around 17,000 after tax fees and bs but didnt get it in writting. However Ken bought his at the same place I am buying mine and he paid 19500. Im goin down there with the mind set not to settle for anything less than what they quoted me of 17000, If I didnt have to finance the whole thing or had money to be more flexible I wouldnt mind. So it will probably be a battle but I hope it all ends well and I have my spyder by the end of this week.
    Did you happen to get your bike at Hahm in anaheim? Just looking for a dealer name to throw out there for some leverage.
    Thanks again,
    Ryan
    Ocsurfrr@yahoo.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ocsurfrr
    Just got the call that my spyder was shipped on March 27th I have been waiting since OCT 07 and the dealer in Lake Elsinore said sometime this week it will be in. I asked him what the additional charges were besides tax and they quoted 899 for shipping and 799 for prep plus doc and license fees. I thought that was high so I called Corona Motorsports and they said the same thing. Just was wondering if that is what to expect in CA from those who bought their Spyders here.
    Thanks and can't wait to ride.
    Sounds about right.
    I paid 17,500 OTD in Anaheim for black and silver.
    I think that equates to about 1500 shipping and Prep
    SO CA will be more expensive, because we can ride all year baby !
    Sorry, I am native WI boy, just had to leave the weather.
    GO PACKERS

Registered Users
    Belle Center Ohio summer/ DeLand FL. winter
    Spyder Garage

I really think they are sticking it to you the only thing you can do is look for a better deal somewhere else.Don't look for brp to do anything it's strictly a supply and demand thing. Swampfox in bluefield VA. I here is a fair dealer.I can't say anything about my dealer I haven't got mine yet we will see.Good luck wildwillie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by evoluzione
    if the spyder was $14999 and you paid $17500 out the door then your shipping/prep was about $1100.
    This is correct for SO CA.
    No better deals around here that I heard so far.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ya 17500 sounds okay when compared to 19-21000, It does help that I already have a thousand dollars down and put into it. I probably should have just bought the bike from a dealer outside of CA and had it shipped here or went and picked it up.
    I think my mind wasnt clear after test riding this bike because it was so much fun I just said heres my credit card run it for the deposit. I know its true cuz the dealership where I test drove it and bought it is 60 miles away compared to my normal dealership that was only 5 mi away.
    We will see how it goes and I will def be posting the results.
    thanks for the help.
    Ryan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

K so finally I have been contacted and my spyder is in and in the crate. I am going down to pick up my spyder at noon tomarrow at rip off motorsports in lake elsinore CA. They quoted me over the phone 18,700 otd even thought the quoted around 17 when I bought it so now I gotta battle to get it down to 17,500 which seems to be the best price in CA rite now.
    good luck to me!

Spyder Garage

Hey ocsurfrr, forgive me if you've posted any follow up to this somewhere else but I was wondering how this has turned out for you?
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I picked up my yellow one at Mission Motorsports in Irvine CA yesterday. The base price was $15,500 which is $100 over what the original price quote for yellow was. I didn't balk much at that.

What I did balk at was the approx $5,000 they wanted to add for shipping and prep. Unfortunately I didn't get that quoted back in June when I gave my deposit. A big mistake on my part!

I ended up with an adder of approx $3,000 for "shipping and prep" so the price before tax and license was somewhat over $18,500.

Be prepared folks; the dealers have buyers waiting in line, and the Spyder is selling well, so they are boosting the price way up sky high. I think people who got theirs early made out a lot better than those of us who waited. Even though I made my deposit in early June, I changed my mind about taking first available and had to wait longer for yellow.

Buyer beware!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that mine is #3003.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

wow hearing about you guys paying for all this shipping and prep makes me ill i had to pay nothing extra for my spyder i payed the asking price for it plus taxes thats it. maybe the one benifit of living in cold upstate ny

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

On April 3, 2007 I put $1000 down on a silver Spyder. Base price $14999 ,Freight $850, set up $295, Dealer handling (Admin) $199, FL tire fee $2, Battery fee $$1.50, Sales tax (7%) $1039.79. OTD $17377.29. I had all this in writing when I made the deposit. The dealer (Seminole Power Sports, Sanford, FL) did not change a thing.
    Clean deal. I feel badly for all you folks that are getting stiffed.

Jack H.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt
    Hey ocsurfrr, forgive me if you've posted any follow up to this somewhere else but I was wondering how this has turned out for you?

K so I posted the same issue before I went to pick up mine I even printed out others quotes that I found on the internet but they were from different states. They quoted me 19,500 over the phone the day before I went down there and said we would talk about it when I got in. I rolled my eyes as well.. So I get down there in lake Elsinore and they show me the charges I don't know what happend to the 19,5k cuz these were the charges:
    Prep799
    Freight 899
    tax 1300
    lic,title,reg 199
    price was 14999
    I paid 18,199 for the bike
    plus my 1000 dollar down payment
    with another 600 down on top of it
    financed 16499 for 84mos @ 309 a month
    I asked if I agreed to pay the 18 if they would throw in a helmet and jacket. I got a 400 dollar helmet but no jacket. My roomates just bought their street bikes from mission motorsports and they received a helmet and jacket for purchasing their bikes but you have to ask!
    I herd some guys got theres in so cal after fighting for hours for around 17500 OTD so I did not mind payn 18k I just wanted to get the bike I had been waiting forever. It seems the best bet is to get it in writing when you order it. Alot of people have been stopping me asking how much I tell them 15 but they have to be careful who they order it from. One guy told me Sat morn that Bert's automall in covina is now selling theres for 21,000. I really dislike bike dealerships after seeing how they purposely try to rip off customers because of popularity. It is business and I understand supply and demand but whatever happend to customer service?

O'well I got it and love it taking it to the angel game tomarrow I can only begin to imagine the explaining I will be doing there.