Spyder Garage

Default Lake Michigan Circle Tour. Anybody out there done it?

My wife and I are thinking about doing it this summer. My daughter is going to Canada for 12 days with a Student Ambassador program so we thought we could sneak in a long ride while she was gone. I was wondering if anybody here has done it and has routes or places, that might be a little off the beaten path, that you just have to see. I have looked at tons of things on the internet but was hoping I could get a little insider information to go with it. Thanks.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Take a peek at the book Motorcycling Across Michigan by William Murphy. It has circle tours for the four various Great Lakes that border Michigan. Good routes, good info, and a lot of other fine Michigan rides in the book.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lower part

Judy and I have done the lower part of that. UP Michigan. and really enjoyed that part of the ride. Someday we want to do the whole
    thing. We think it would be really cool to do it. But I think there's to many to type on here. Give us a IM or a ring on the phone sometime and we can point out some things to see on the lower part of that rt.
    Last edited by rcdurango; 01-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

A lot of people avoid the Chicago end of the Lake and take the ferry across to complete their loops.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A lot of people avoid the Chicago end of the Lake and take the ferry across to complete their loops.

go right up the west coast of Mi. Wouldn't miss that part!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What's the gas situation east of Thunder Bay?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spent 25 yrs in the Chicago-Rockford area. Being from IL, I'm sure you realize that Chicago is a DESTINATION and not something you want to experience, just "passing thru"! (Traffic!) Unless you just want to say that you "circled the lake," I'd head up to northern MI and the U/P. You could head straight north to WI and cut over to the U/P. Great secondary roads and great scenery! Eastern U/P is gorgeous, especially the Houghton/Hancock area out to Copper Harbor. Depending on your route, consider the Luddinton-Manitowac ferry. Never lost anything at the south end of the Lake except toll change, patience and tooth fillings! Hope you have great wx because there is some great riding up nort', Wisconsin and MI! Take pics! We want to see!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Take a peek at the book Motorcycling Across Michigan by William Murphy. It has circle tours for the four various Great Lakes that border Michigan. Good routes, good info, and a lot of other fine Michigan rides in the book.
    Saw that in another post of yours and headed to the book store after work.

As far as Chi town, I was just there this weekend so the traffic and the tolls are fresh in my mind. The plan is to head to Michigan City, IN spend a day just hanging out there the ride the lake counter clockwise. Maybe spend a day in Chicago on the tail end of the trip. Run LSD through town and the traffic isn't horrible. My wife will be in charge of pictures and she, according to our daughter, is part PHOTOrican.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had friends of mine loop Lake Superior on snowmobiles, but i don't think that will help you.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    Saw that in another post of yours and headed to the book store after work.

As far as Chi town, I was just there this weekend so the traffic and the tolls are fresh in my mind. The plan is to head to Michigan City, IN spend a day just hanging out there the ride the lake counter clockwise. Maybe spend a day in Chicago on the tail end of the trip. Run LSD through town and the traffic isn't horrible. My wife will be in charge of pictures and she, according to our daughter, is part PHOTOrican.
    Some of our favorite rides are along Lake Michigan's east shore. If you decide to stick close to the Lake, instead of taking the highways, allow plenty of time. It is worth the delays! Also be sure to allow for shopping and browsing in all the little resort towns along the way. Favorite stretches for us include Lakeshore Drive from Holland to Grand Haven and Scenic Drive from Muskegon to Whitehall. Old US-12 at the foot of the Lake is fun, too. Don't forget the "Tunnel of Trees" from Petoskey to Harbor Springs. There are some delightful lakeshore roads all the way to the Bridge, but exploring them will take days, where the expressways only take hours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought about trying to do the Lake Michigan tour. I really enjoyed the 3 Lakes in 3 days ride we did a couple of years ago. I would also think that the Lake Superior circle would be a fun thing to do as well. I don't think you would have the traffic to deal with that you might around Lake Michigan.
    http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.info/map.asp

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The Lake Huron circle is supposed to be nice, too. Most people take the ferry across Georgian Bay to shorthen that one.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You don't say what time of year that will be but we did the trip a few years ago. When we left Southern Illinois it was in high 90's. We were at Thunder Bay at first of July and temps were in the high 30's/low 40's so be sure to pack for temperature extremes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    You don't say what time of year that will be but we did the trip a few years ago. When we left Southern Illinois it was in high 90's. We were at Thunder Bay at first of July and temps were in the high 30's/low 40's so be sure to pack for temperature extremes.
    We were thinking mid June. I'll start looking at the average temps in a few weeks for that time of year.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Cindy and I have close friends in the Escanaba area and hope to make this ride.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    We were thinking mid June. I'll start looking at the average temps in a few weeks for that time of year.
    Hey Bob mid June is usually when they have Midwest Thunder although I am hearing that it may be cancelled this year. If they do have it CPTJAM and I will be there (Milwaukee). Are you Vrodding on the Circl Tour or Spydering?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Hey Bob mid June is usually when they have Midwest Thunder although I am hearing that it may be cancelled this year. If they do have it CPTJAM and I will be there (Milwaukee). Are you Vrodding on the Circl Tour or Spydering?
    My wife is going with me so the Spyder is the vehicle of choice. She isn't much for riding on the back of the Vrod for some reason. Last time I went to MWT it did just that most of the time. It was still in Niles at the beautiful Niles Inn. Only place I ever thought about and did park my bike in my room with me. I will most likely come to KC this year.

Spyder Garage

Default Lake Michigan ride

Wife and I did it last summer. Found a route off of "openroadjourney.com" but discovered map was not perfect. Headed North up the Wisconsin side stopped at Mackinaw the second day and went to Mackinac island. Came back South the Michigan side all of this along the lake, stopped at Indian dunes and headed home. 4 days and 1000 miles. Beautiful ride and not rushed.
    2015 RT SE6 Limited

Custom Dynamics Trunk LED Brake Light with flasher
    Corbin armrests
    BajaRon- shock adjusters

Previous 2011 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jascreek View Post
    Wife and I did it last summer. Found a route off of "openroadjourney.com" but discovered map was not perfect. Headed North up the Wisconsin side stopped at Mackinaw the second day and went to Mackinac island. Came back South the Michigan side all of this along the lake, stopped at Indian dunes and headed home. 4 days and 1000 miles. Beautiful ride and not rushed.
    That is about the pace I think we are going to shoot for.