Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But Scotty's posts will actually impart useful information...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it.

Change the cap when you get it

LOL, so how many Spyders have actually caught fire!!! and Spyders have been on the road how long??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even if it's only one... Would you want it to be yours?
    if your Spyder caught fire while you were heading down the road at about 60mph; what would you do?
    (Well... after THAT; of course! )

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    I have a 2008 PE GS Spyder and for years have had the raw gas fumes, sometimes really really bad. I have had it to the dealer and he has always just kind of dismissed it saying that I am just overfilling it which I do not do, especially over the last 2 years. I even did the "canisterectomy" which I know a lot of people on here have done and I still get the raw gas fumes. Which brings me to a previous question that I posted a while ago but no one answered it. After reading some of the posts here about the gas cap I guess I should reinstall the canister and then take it to the dealer for the inspection recall.
    Was hoping for some kind of response this time about "canisterectomy" and recall!

Wasn't this procedure also supposed to stop raw gas fumes or am I mistaken.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ret all Gas camp

The gas cap is only one way you can get fuel smell, the other is through your EVAP canister. I would have your dealer check to see if your canister is full of fuel and check your purge valve.
    Lamont

normally I would agree with you. However, the fuel tank only had approximately two maybe two a nd a half gallons of fuel in it as I filled it this morning and took 4,016 gallons.

i let it sit Sunday after I got home fo two hours to cool down as we had been doing a lot off stop n go traffic and it was. 79F out in the shade.

Now today after doing a 50 mile run I parked it in the same almost exact spot and no odors came out it.

The only tHing I have done to it was before the fill up I ,did take the new cap off and closely inspected the new oh ring seal it looked ok. Then I inspected the gas filler neck sealing surface for foreign debris or a ding, dent or cap scratch.

Finding what looked like a very bright spot I wiped it down. It was just a highly polished spot. Then I got the bright idea to very lightly lubricate the tank sealing lip with some multi use grease. The big difference result was it was easier to get to the cap torque release point for what ever that is. Worth

Tommorrow I go to the dealer for their side of the problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One reason for canister

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Boy was I ever excited when the new gas cap arrived in the USPO mail 12 Jan 2013. I ripped the box open with great glee. Took the new and the old and compared them then installed the new one . I was taken by surprise at how much more twisting torque it took for the new one to hit the first slip click. I was so sure it was fixed.

We took a ride and when we parked it in the garage guess what? It still emitted the odor of freshly boiled gasoline. So I guess the problem still exists! I will be standing at my dealers service department door on Tuesday AM when he opens for business.

Had to leave the garage door open for almost two hours before it cleared out. Going to try running a fan on the front end to see if cooling it down faster helps This approaching ridculous now as it has ben going on off and on for 16 months now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Would someone let me in on the reason for the canister. Does it recycle the fuel when it receives it.. If not why not just run it down to drip on the ground like every other fuel burning apparatus.

I must be missing something really important here. "It surely ain't Safety" But for the life of me, I can't figure it out..
    One reason for the canister is to prevent.air contamination by allowing fuel vapors breaching clean air. We can gthank the EPA and CARB fFor that regulation.

Spyder Garage

got my new gas cap today, but i havent had any problems with the old one, but i will use the new one and keep the old one for a spare.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Default New Recall Gas Cap Did Not Fix Gas SMell

Lamont

normally I would agree with you. However, the fuel tank only had approximately two maybe two a nd a half gallons of fuel in it as I filled it this morning and took 4,016 gallons.

i let it sit Sunday after I got home fo two hours to cool down as we had been doing a lot off stop n go traffic and it was. 79F out in the shade.

Now today after doing a 50 mile run I parked it in the same almost exact spot and no odors came out it.

The only tHing I have done to it was before the fill up I ,did take the new cap off and closely inspected the new oh ring seal it looked ok. Then I inspected the gas filler neck sealing surface for foreign debris or a ding, dent or cap scratch.

Finding what looked like a very bright spot I wiped it down. It was just a highly polished spot. Then I got the bright idea to very lightly lubricate the tank sealing lip with some multi use grease. The big difference result was it was easier to get to the cap torque release point for what ever that is. Worth

Tommorrow I go to the dealer for their side of the problem.
    I'm not sure what your disagreeing with me on.

Spyder Garage

2012 SM5 RSS here. Did not have a problem but got the new cap and changed it. I would rather change the cap than watch my bike melt.

Spyder Garage

The gas cap is only one way you can get fuel smell, the other is through your EVAP canister. I would have your dealer check to see if your canister is full of fuel and check your purge valve.
    Hi Lamonster. I had a guy under the front of my RT installing some LEDs and he said it was wet with gasoline. Dealer had no clue. Any insight on that?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I have a RS SE5 2012. I have no gas smell, I will take the gas cap if I get one but I will just keep it as an extra, Why mess with it. So far no problems with my Spyder dont want to mess with the mojo

Installing the new gas cap will accomplish two things. It will keep you in legal compliance with the recall if you ever have to do warrantee work on the fuel system and it will keep you from losing it when and if the gas smell starts to appear. This is just a friendly suggestion.

Spyder Garage

I was at the Can Am dealer in Greenville, SC this weekend. There is also a recall on a hose, depending on your VIN. My 2012 RTS was not on the list. The recall includes GS, RS, and RT's of all years. The new gas cap I received solved my feil smell problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado Bob View Post
    The hose from the canister was pinched, no more gas smell or leaking.
    I received the new fuel cap and started using it today, but it did not fix my problem. Still getting a gas drip after every hot shutdown.
    Canister and valve was replaced by my dealer 4 months ago.

Is closing off the canister vent hose (underneath the RT) a workable solution? Either pinching it, or put a plug in it...?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Who will receive a new gas cap? Do I have to contact CanAm to receive a cap? Been off line due to the death of my sister so please fill me in. Thank you.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Who will receive a new gas cap? Do I have to contact CanAm to receive a cap? Been off line due to the death of my sister so please fill me in. Thank you.
    First let me say how sorry I am for your loss...sisters are special...I have three of 'em.

Everyone will get the new gas cap. No need to contact BRP (CanAm). I believe BRP is mailing the caps to the folks in the South first since they typically enjoy year 'round ryding weather while its kinda hit and miss with the rest of us.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default Canister Molotov Cocktail ?

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I received the new fuel cap and started using it today, but it did not fix my problem. Still getting a gas drip after every hot shutdown.
    Canister and valve was replaced by my dealer 4 months ago.

Is closing off the canister vent hose (underneath the RT) a workable solution? Either pinching it, or put a plug in it...?
    Never got any comments here, but talking to Doc Riverside got me some clear warnings this would close the venting for the tank and is definitely not advisable!

So now I am experimenting with a new solution to end the gas drip... to be continued soon...
    Last edited by cjackg; 01-21-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default update. 2013,01,27

Boy was I ever excited when the new gas cap arrived in the USPO mail 12 Jan 2013. I ripped the box open with great glee. Took the new and the old and compared them then installed the new one . I was taken by surprise at how much more twisting torque it took for the new one to hit the first slip click. I was so sure it was fixed.

We took a ride and when we parked it in the garage guess what? It still emitted the odor of freshly boiled gasoline. So I guess the problem still exists! I will be standing at my dealers service department door on Tuesday AM when he opens for business.

Had to leave the garage door open for almost two hours before it cleared out. Going to try running a fan on the front end to see if cooling it down faster helps This approaching ridculous now as it has ben going on off and on for 16 months now.
    Update to the saga of the new gas cap and the smell of raw gasoline.

called Can Am B R P this morning. Got a very nice young man who even sounded like he cared. He listened. Without interrupting while I filled him in on what the problem was. What I had. Done. What my results were. He asked some specific details such as how full the URL tank was. How empty it was when it did it. When I asked him what did BRP wanted me to do next. He was a little taken back it seemed like. His guidance was to take everything to the local dealer, give them the reference number that he gave me. Ask that they examine the cap and evaporative fuel canister and a replacement gas cap could be had if necessary.

heasked at what RPMs did I try to. Normally drive at? He recommended not getting lower then 3,200 or better. I aśked why? Apparently the fuel canister begins recycling gruel at that engine speed.. My normal thing is about 3400 to 4800 in town traffic. So I know what'll iI will be doing Tuesday AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob,
    Glad to hear that the Rep is trying to move this issue along to the point where the dealer can clear it up ror you!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE:2013.01.29 Recall gaz cap issue

Went tto the dealership this morning. Came home with a new gaz cap installed. Parked it hot and 20 minutes later there were minimal gas fumes in the garage mostly stinking exhaust fumes.

Assistant to the absent [on vacation] service manager wanted to hold off on canister inspection until the Service Manager returned. I can live with that. Been out in the garage three times today and it does NOT smell like a refinery or an open barel of gasoline. Maybe just maybe it be fixed. It is hard to walk with your fingers, feet, and arms crossed.

Spyder Garage

That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it.

Change the cap when you get it
    I asked this under the "General Disscussion" forum, what the heck is the deal with the gas caps? I've not recieved anything from BRP regarding a recall on the gas cap.

Spyder Garage

Not sure what your source or evidence is for that last sentence. Thousands of us have had Spyders for years (I've had mine since April 2008) and have had few or no problems. If you only read the few negative reports here, you might well get the impression that the Spyder has many problems. But if you read all or most of the postings, you will quickly find out that the Spyder -- for most of us -- is without serious problems.

If you are riding yours -- you do own one, right? -- like the rest of us, you have come to realize that they are a great ride mile after mile, year after year.

Just saying.

ken tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    Read a post sometime back the smell might be coming not from the gas cap but from a quick disconnect fuel line at the tank. There's always some kind of problem with these machines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I asked this under the "General Disscussion" forum, what the heck is the deal with the gas caps? I've not recieved anything from BRP regarding a recall on the gas cap.
    http://spyder.brp.com/owner-center/r...7-a12e00f66679

And if you're not the original owner make sure your dealer has you put in the computer as the new owner.

Spyder Garage

http://spyder.brp.com/owner-center/r...7-a12e00f66679

And if you're not the original owner make sure your dealer has you put in the computer as the new owner.
    Thanks Lamont, I am the original owner. 2010 RTS, but I've not recieved anything regarding a gas cap recall. Will check with my dealership. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Thanks Lamont, I am the original owner. 2010 RTS, but I've not recieved anything regarding a gas cap recall. Will check with my dealership. Thanks again.
    These are being distributed in somebody's idea of accordance with riding season. Michigan hasn't been notified yet, either. Be patient!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went tto the dealership this morning. Came home with a new gaz cap installed. Parked it hot and 20 minutes later there were minimal gas fumes in the garage mostly stinking exhaust fumes.

Assistant to the absent [on vacation] service manager wanted to hold off on canister inspection until the Service Manager returned. I can live with that. Been out in the garage three times today and it does NOT smell like a refinery or an open barel of gasoline. Maybe just maybe it be fixed. It is hard to walk with your fingers, feet, and arms crossed.
    Bob,
    So far... so good?