Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New Recall Gas Cap Did Not Fix Gas SMell

Boy was I ever excited when the new gas cap arrived in the USPO mail 12 Jan 2013. I ripped the box open with great glee. Took the new and the old and compared them then installed the new one . I was taken by surprise at how much more twisting torque it took for the new one to hit the first slip click. I was so sure it was fixed.

We took a ride and when we parked it in the garage guess what? It still emitted the odor of freshly boiled gasoline. So I guess the problem still exists! I will be standing at my dealers service department door on Tuesday AM when he opens for business.

Had to leave the garage door open for almost two hours before it cleared out. Going to try running a fan on the front end to see if cooling it down faster helps This approaching ridculous now as it has ben going on off and on for 16 months now.

Spyder Garage

I haven't received the new gas cap yet. I got my RT in July and I have to leave the garage door open for an hour or so every time I ride. I talked to the dealer a couple of months ago and he said this was normal!!!! NOT!!!!!! Was trusting that the new cap would solve the problem.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

The gas cap is only one way you can get fuel smell, the other is through your EVAP canister. I would have your dealer check to see if your canister is full of fuel and check your purge valve.

Spyder Garage

Great Point. This site is so blessed to have someone with so much knowledge as yourself. Can't wait to meet you at Spyderfest 2013.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a RS SE5 2012. I have no gas smell, I will take the gas cap if I get one but I will just keep it as an extra, Why mess with it. So far no problems with my Spyder dont want to mess with the mojo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, the new gas cap did not solve your problem. This is serious and I hope you don't smoke and make mistake lighting up. I don't smell gas on mine , and BRP did not sent me a new gas cap yet.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I have a RS SE5 2012. I have no gas smell, I will take the gas cap if I get one but I will just keep it as an extra, Why mess with it. So far no problems with my Spyder dont want to mess with the mojo
    That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it.

Change the cap when you get it

Spyder Garage

Good advice to follow for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's pretty cheap insurance...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is one other way you can get the gas smell. It happened to me when I had my RS. The hose(s) on either side of the fuel filter were loose enough at start up to allow a small amount of fuel to spray out. The stock hose clamps stopped and sealed the hose when it slid towards the end of the filter tube. I saw the stains on the canister and figured out the crime and perpetrator. Replaced clamps. No more spray. Now where's that gas smell coming from?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Not a good idea. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using the new cap.

BRP doesn't mail free stuff out because they have too much cash laying around. Though probably a long shot, why risk a fire (which is why they are sending a new cap).

Like Lamont said, if you should have a fire (and again, a rare possibility) the first thing they are going to check is your cap. I am sure they will be able to tell the difference if there is anything left at all. You might check with your insurance but I'll bet they won't cover it if you had the fix sitting on your shelf and just decided not to use it.

This has got to be the easiest recall fix in this history of motor vehicles. Just do it....

I don't have mine yet but it's going on the day it gets here. I'm not a nervous Nelly and I've had zero problems! Then again, I don't want any either.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The Canister

Would someone let me in on the reason for the canister. Does it recycle the fuel when it receives it.. If not why not just run it down to drip on the ground like every other fuel burning apparatus.

I must be missing something really important here. "It surely ain't Safety" But for the life of me, I can't figure it out..

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Smell

It's a small wonder that after a nice ride you come home to the smell of gas vapors. Ever notice how the left side exhaust pipe is routed right up against the gas tank. In fact the gas tank was designed with an indent for the pipe. Lots of heat being transferred into the gas tank. They should put out a form fitted heat shield for that section. In fact the entire exhaust system portion that's under the tupperware should be shielded. It should improve performance having a cooler engine compartment. This might require re mapping the fuel delivery system, but would be worth it in my humble opinion.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Would someone let me in on the reason for the canister. Does it recycle the fuel when it receives it.. If not why not just run it down to drip on the ground like every other fuel burning apparatus.

I must be missing something really important here. "It surely ain't Safety" But for the life of me, I can't figure it out..
    Pollution control, Its supposed to trap gasoline fumes from the gas tank and then send it up though the throttle bodys to be burnt up in the engine.. All cars and trucks have a charcoal canister.,
    I don't think many if ''any'' bikes have them.

Spyder Garage

The Canister is an EPA requirement just like the vapor capture fuel nozzles on many gas pumps around the US. Some fuel in the gas tank converts to vapor. Vapor displaces a lot more volume than liquid fuel. The gas tank isn't going to expand to accommodate this pressure buildup so the vapor has to go somewhere.

In the olden days the fuel vapor was released into the atmosphere. But then it was discovered (or at least claimed) that we were all going to die. So it became illegal to vent the fuel tank this way. So the dreaded 'Canister' was born.

Vapors are now released into this holding tank with a valved outlet to the vacuum (intake) side of the engine to be burned. Great idea in theory but for some reason it has not worked out well in some Spyders because....

1- Raw Fuel gets into the vapor only hose (possibly from overfilling). Since the Canister is only designed to handle vapor, raw, liquid fuel overwhelms it and accumulates which can give off fumes and create a possible fire hazard.

2- The 'Purge' valve timing was incorrect on early Spyders (which has been corrected with updates) causing vapors to accumulate in the canister creating vapor smell.

3- The purge valve can fail (like any other part) causing vapor buildup and creating vapor smell.

There are other potential vapor smell sources and you should have this condition checked out and resolved.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got my RT in July and store it in my Basement and have never once had a gas smell. I never ever over fill my tank! (as stated by BajaRon above)Alway leave the nozzle down a bit in the tank and take it out as soon as the gas hits it. I know people like to put as much as they can in their tank, put in some cases this can cause the smell. just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Netminder; 01-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New Recall Gas Cap Did Not Fix Gas SMell

Nope, your not missing anything.....
    I removed mine at about 50 miles. I have no fuel smell.

Speaking of hot fuel.....anyone ever grab the metal fuel filter after a ride? It gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand on it.
    I wrapped the filter with heat tape and pulled the bracket away from the motor as much as possible. Don't know if it does anything but since there is no real volume in the filter it's just another thing to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

It is not supposed to receive gas at all. The tip-ver valve and air loop at the top of the tank should prevent this, but they are not foolproof, and many vehicles suffer from gas in the canister...not just Spyders. Don't overfill your tank or fill to fast, to avoid this.

That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it.
    I'm not sure how accurate this is. I can find no record of a recall or pending recall on the NHTSA site, so it is apparently not listed as a safety recall. My guess would be that it was for emissions purposes.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell

The hose from the canister was pinched, no more gas smell or leaking. Update, as I spoke to soon, the issue continues. It is more prevalent after the fuel level drops to about half a tank and the Spyder is hot. In the shop twice, will keep trying to remedy. I'm not convinced this has to do with overfilling, but then these special California Gas nozzles are a pain when it comes to refueling anything.
    Last edited by El Dorado Bob; 02-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Still have gas fumes also

I have a 2008 PE GS Spyder and for years have had the raw gas fumes, sometimes really really bad. I have had it to the dealer and he has always just kind of dismissed it saying that I am just overfilling it which I do not do, especially over the last 2 years. I even did the "canisterectomy" which I know a lot of people on here have done and I still get the raw gas fumes. Which brings me to a previous question that I posted a while ago but no one answered it. After reading some of the posts here about the gas cap I guess I should reinstall the canister and then take it to the dealer for the inspection recall.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is not supposed to receive gas at all. The tip-ver valve and air loop at the top of the tank should prevent this, but they are not foolproof, and many vehicles suffer from gas in the canister...not just Spyders. Don't overfill your tank or fill to fast, to avoid this.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. I can find no record of a recall or pending recall on the NHTSA site, so it is apparently not listed as a safety recall. My guess would be that it was for emissions purposes.
    Read this
    http://spyder.brp.com/blog/post-deta...7-a12e00f66679
    What is the potential problem?

The fuel cap may not seal properly the fuel tank filler neck. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition
    source could result in a fire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    That explains the reason...thanks. Wonder why there is no apparent official US recall, although they have actually instituted an informal one?
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty,, this has nothing to do with this threat BUT, you must have the most post on this site!!! You should be at the 16,000 mark by the end of the day.. Amazing, thank you for all the good advice you pass along to members....

X Man

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by X Man View Post
    Scotty,, this has nothing to do with this threat BUT, you must have the most post on this site!!! You should be at the 16,000 mark by the end of the day.. Amazing, thank you for all the good advice you pass along to members....

X Man
    Nah, Bob Denman passed me up a while back, and is racking them up faster than Speedy Gonzales. Nice to see ya back here, Joe. We missed you! This post was 16K, BTW.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Hello

I was having that problem too.

Now what I did was to change the fuel vent line from the tank to the canister.

After pulling both side body panels off I removed the tank vent to canister fuel line and pick up a new piece of fuel line from the auto store. I think it was 3/8 fuel line.

I come out of the tank vent and turn left with the hose and run it up the left side, next I crossed over the air filter housing (now this is more to the back of the housing not on top) then down to the canister. The fuel line is higher then the seat so gas will not run down to the canister, only vapors will. I did put a plastic cover over the fuel hose. I plan on moving the canister vent hose in spring.

No I do not have any pic but in spring I will do up some.

Note be safe about this mod you are playing with gas and vapors and if you put the hose to close to the engine you could have a fire.

Been a wrench turner for 30 years so play it safe.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame