Spyder Garage

Default Passenger grip Heaters

On today's ride I tried to show DW how to turn on the heated passenger grips, however no heat. After we got home I checked to see if the 2012 RT Audio Convenience actually came with the bike or not. After all I thought there were speakers in the rear also, but just because the grills are there and the designation is Audio Convenience doesn't mean you have speakers, but I do now with a little effort. With this in mind my thinking was maybe the fact that a switch is installed doesn't necessarily mean I have that function or capability. However I did find in the Ops manual that the heaters do come on the audio convenience option.
    My dealer is about 95 miles away and it's a little chilly this time of year so if there is something to check first I'd appreciate some guidance. I did check this while DW was sitting on the seat to activate the sensor, and we were moving and the RPMs were above 800, but still no heat, or even a glow light in the switch. The only thing I can find in the manual was grip heater fuse in the front panel, however my riders grips work perfectly so I assume this is not the problem. Is there anything I can do or check before a trip to the dealership? The dealership has been pretty good since they restructured their service department, but I still lack a little confidence in them, they still appear to be a group in the learning stages. I hate to venture over there if someone might have a plan or have had a similar problem.
    2012 Spyder RT Audio Convenience SM5.

Spyder Garage

Default heaters

I have the same bike and I have heaters on the handelbars but never checked to see if the ones for the passenger worked but the bike has them from delivery

Spyder Garage

The way I remember it, the rear grips do not work unless the engine is running and someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I could be wrong on the passenger, but that's what I recall. To turn on, press the up or down button. One or two lights should light to indicate the grip is turned on (2011 RTs and newer). Use the up/down buttons as desired to change the temperature...one light is low and two is high. Use the off button to turn them off...or just turn off the ignition. The grips don't heat as much as the front...and take a long time to warm up the thicker passenger grip. If you ride a while and there is no heat, see your dealer or dig inside the bodywork. If the light doesn't come on, could be a disconnected wire/switch or a blown fuse. The switch is disconnected for some accessory installations, and may not have been properly reconnected.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The way I remember it, the rear grips do not work unless the engine is running and someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I could be wrong on the passenger, but that's what I recall. To turn on, press the up or down button. One or two lights should light to indicate the grip is turned on (2011 RTs and newer). Use the up/down buttons as desired to change the temperature...one light is low and two is high. Use the off button to turn them off...or just turn off the ignition. The grips don't heat as much as the front...and take a long time to warm up the thicker passenger grip. If you ride a while and there is no heat, see your dealer or dig inside the bodywork. If the light doesn't come on, could be a disconnected wire/switch or a blown fuse. The switch is disconnected for some accessory installations, and may not have been properly reconnected.

Guess I'll depanel and look for a disconnect. The lights do not come on at all, and I'm not sure if the front and back are on the same fuse, the front ones are operable however. I did check with passenger on the seat and moving.

Spyder Garage

The front and rear heated grips are on the same fuse and the load shedding relay. I'd look at the underside of the switch first. That connector is often the one left unplugged. You may be able to access it from the battery cover, but taking loose the panel under the grip is better. I'd suggest masking the grips and panel before you do this...it is easy to scratch up.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The rear grips really don't seem to heat up all that much. If they're working; it'll probably take putting them on "high" to notice anything.
    Now the fronts are a different story... I've never had to use any setting other than "low".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default The HEAT is ON.

Loosened up top mid side cover at the top rear(2) screws and popped the battery cover which is an integral part to the inside cover of the passenger grip. Once removed it was evident that the plug was not fully engaged because you could see the orange colored seal on the plug. I engaged the plug and felt and heard a distinctive snap, felt right then that the problem was found. Reassembled everything and tested, Test SAT, She (DW) has heat. We both thank all for your responses.

Access via the battery cover was relatively easy on the 2012. Another learning adventure, of which I've had several so far, but I still love my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

-Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the fix was free and relatively easy!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black