Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now I'm feeling better about my E85 engine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That is pretty scarry stuff when you think about it. It appears that the "corn" states are the ones distributing the most E-15 gas.

As the drought continues to build across the midwest and more corn crops fail--then what?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I believe their is a federal law about so much of the corn crop has to go for this stuff.Many studies have said, it costs more to make it, then it would cost for gasoline. Now many auto companys are coming out with this. Your flex vehicle may be fine, but the Spyder is NOT flex fuel. the Goverment answer for a single nozzle for all grades is to put a mimum of 4 gallons in your vehicle. If you put 3 gallons in the Spyder, a lot of it will be from the last customer.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

This from the US Dept of Energy,

Can any vehicle use E15?No. E15 is only approved for 2001 and newer passenger vehicles. EPA is not considering E15 use in vehicles older than model year 2001.

A lot of what is said in the video is skirting the truth and dramatizing the issue. Typical for Fox. Only flex fuel vehicles or manufacturer approved engines should use E15 or E85 or any ethanol blended fuel. Fortunately our engines are approved so no problems for us.

No wonder my groceries are costing more! So does this mean no more at the movies!

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER SCREWING

THE REALLY SAD PART IS .....THE SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES IN CONGRESS DON'T EVEN CARE THAT THEIR " APPROVAL " ......RATING IS 10 OR 15 %.....DUH !!!!!!!....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for letting us know
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

The only thing good about ethanol is the subsidies the corn farmers get. I farm. Beef, not crops. Ethanol subsidies have artificially driven up feed prices, which are reflected in what you pay at the grocery. Have you looked at the price of hamburger lately?

Ethanol blends also drive the price per gallon to produce gasoline.

Have you seen what ethanol does to small engines? Next time your community has a 'large item' trash pickup take a look at how many lawn mowers, chainsaws and other power equipment are put out. Ethanol eats gaskets and fuel lines and oxidizes in small engine carbarators. I spend hours fixing stuff because of ethanol.

I hate ethanol!
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    I hate ethanol!
    http://pure-gas.org/
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Re: E15 - WARNIING!!!

I live near one of the largest ethanol plants in the world and it has been great for my crop farm clients but very hard on my livestock producers due to the higher feed costs. I will NOT run it in my Spyder. Or any small engine.....I too have had the pleasure of rebuilding carbs because of its use. Newer vehicles can handle it but don't expect great performance.

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The AMA has been fighting E15 for some time now. And while I like E85 in my flex fuel Chrysler, I don't want ANY eth in my bikes or OPE stuff. Here is the latest AMA announcement on their efforts in E15...BTW, E15 is not currently recommended in the Spyder. You may want to think this through for a sec. If the EPA has recommended buying at least 4 gallons of fuel to dilute residual E15, what do you think happens when te customer before you has purchased Regular, and you select Premium.. My guess is you get a slug of Regular fuel and some HiTest at the end of the fill... Just sayin' "Also, the AMA reports that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is apparently scrapping its requirement that all consumers buy at least four gallons of gasoline from certain gas pumps that dispense the new E15 ethanol-gasoline blend.
    The EPA first revealed its minimum-purchase requirement to the AMA in a letter dated Aug. 1, responding to AMA concerns that E15 — a gasoline formulation that contains up to 15 percent ethanol by volume — could be put in motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle gas tanks inadvertently when consumers used blender pumps. A blender pump dispenses different fuel blends through the same hose, and the vast majority of motorcycles and ATVs in use today aren’t designed to operate on E15 fuel.
    The EPA had said that the minimum purchase requirement was meant to dilute any residual E15 fuel left in the hose.
    On Dec. 17, in response to ongoing AMA concerns, the EPA indicated to the AMA that it would no longer require a minimum purchase of four gallons. Instead, the EPA will now likely require a label on blender pumps that dispense E10 and E15 through the same hose that state the pump is solely for passenger cars and trucks.
    In addition, the EPA indicated it will require stations that sell E15 to also have a pump with a dedicated E10 hose for use by motorcycles and other vehicles the EPA hasn’t approved for E15 use.
    “With E15 gasoline, our members who make a concerted effort to fuel their motorcycles or ATVs with E10-or-less gasoline may be unknowingly refueling with residual fuel left in the hose,” Wayne Allard, AMA vice president for government relations, had said to the EPA before the agency’s Dec. 17 comments.
    “Unlike an automobile or SUV that has a large fuel tank, the residual fuel left in a fueling hose could be detrimental to the performance of motorcycle or ATV engines due to the small size of their fuel tanks and the higher concentration of ethanol that would, therefore, be present in the fuel,” Allard had said. “In addition, the use of E15 will lower fuel efficiency and possibly cause premature engine failure. Use of E15 fuel voids many manufacturer warranties. In off-road engines, the effects can even be dangerous for users.”
    The AMA has repeatedly expressed concerns to government officials and federal lawmakers about possible damage to motorcycle and ATV engines caused by the inadvertent use of E15 when the new fuel becomes widely available, and has asked that motorcycles and ATVs be part of any scientific study into the effects of E15.
    Ethanol is essentially grain alcohol produced from crops such as corn that is mixed with gasoline to produce an ethanol-gasoline blend motor fuel. In October 2010, the EPA approved the use of E15 in model year 2007 and newer light-duty vehicles (cars, light-duty trucks and medium-duty passenger vehicles). Then, in January 2011, the EPA added model year 2001-06 light-duty vehicles to the approved list.
    No motorcycles or ATVs are currently on the list.
    Last edited by beanoil; 05-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default E-15 UGH!!!

Experienced a bout with what I think was E-15 in my '12 Limited last night. Filled up as normal in a station I use regularly (Pilot). For some darn reason...22.6 MPG over a road I travel regularly and historically 30+ mpg. Experienced a drop like that in the car too once or twice, from the same station. Just ain't right..... Perhaps the AMA and manufacturers can come to a real realistic solution.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ethanol

I have used ethanol for 20 years and have had great success with the various blends. The oil companies hate it because they do not have control over it. It is the only fuel that is renewable and the gouging oil companies cannot control it's price. When gas went up because of the phony refinery updates in the Midwest ethanol was the only fuel that remained cost effective. I use 1 gallon on every fill in my RT and have had good success with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Join the A.M.A.

and the fight against having to pay for and use this crap (E 15).

Spyder Garage

Don't even get me started!!!!

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderfitz View Post
    I have used ethanol for 20 years and have had great success with the various blends. The oil companies hate it because they do not have control over it. It is the only fuel that is renewable and the gouging oil companies cannot control it's price. When gas went up because of the phony refinery updates in the Midwest ethanol was the only fuel that remained cost effective. I use 1 gallon on every fill in my RT and have had good success with it.
    And everyone else hates it because it slowly destroys fuel systems, brings water into the internals of the engine, reduces throttle response, contaminates the oil faster (note.. newer SN oils handle eth contaminates better than older SL,or SJ oils like we use), and reduces MPG. Never mind the fact it costs more to make then can be sold, and currently reduces food supply. If you are a racer and have to use pump swill, it's hard to tune for, and can be the difference between finishing a race or not. There is so much wrong with ethanol as a fuel additive, and the way it is currently handled. And some states don't want it either.... http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/10...d-against-e15/ And while I don't think I'll be lighting gasoline on a table anytime soon, this guy did... http://myfox8.com/2013/03/26/the-dif...anol-free-gas/
    Last edited by beanoil; 05-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default E15 - WARNIING!!!

Can't find any pure gas in central Texas!

Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White